Pentium M-based Intel chip at heart of Apple TV

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 144
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I view syncing as a temporary and necessary evil. The best solution is that of wireless network video players streaming anything from anywhere.

We're... so... close.
  • Reply 142 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I view syncing as a temporary and necessary evil. The best solution is that of wireless network video players streaming anything from anywhere.

We're... so... close.

I've always been against the principle of "speed up the network!" in contrast to the "be more efficient in what we send across the network".

In previous posts you've said you don't like syncing, but your reasons are stated around usability. Are there other reasons?
  • Reply 143 of 144
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Usability issues are my main gripe with syncing. I suppose that if all of your synced devices had capacities larger than your media collection, it wouldn't be an issue.

Cost would be another reason. If a network is available, there is no need for local storage. Which means you don't have to pay for storage and the product is cheaper.
  • Reply 144 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Usability issues are my main gripe with syncing. I suppose that if all of your synced devices had capacities larger than your media collection, it wouldn't be an issue.

Cost would be another reason. If a network is available, there is no need for local storage. Which means you don't have to pay for storage and the product is cheaper.

Agreed that you don't want a subset available on your computer, you want all available. And it has to be seemless. This can be done though using a caching/syncing background process and a bit more brains in the iTunes software (to show the whole library, but play from local source if it's synced).

I doubt you'll save much money by smaller hard disks on your computer - it would be nice to have central storage in general (not just for iTunes) and maybe let Time-machine use excess local capacity for its backups.

Anywa... getting way off topic - apologies to others... let you get back to Pentium M stuff