"Wimax is coming"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So what do you folks think the timeline is for this being deployed and used in the US? Are we talking months or years?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Sprint claims to be ready nationwide starting Jan of '08. We will see.

Clearwire is also moving fast.

I just hope the hardware companies dont lag too far behind with devices that can log on by themselves.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/...ase-229995.php

Here's a link the Sprint plan that I noted above. Careful locking yourselves in on the iPhone for two years. EDGE for two years starting this June is not a good bet. Especially when you might be able to bundle broadband home internet and cell phone use for $55/month. AT&T better have an answer to this, or this whole merger thing is gonna get pwned.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I have heard a lot about pilot WiMAX projects across the world - Any WiMAX users in here ?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    visionary = BRILLIANT!!!

Well stated my friend.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/...ase-229995.php

Here's a link the Sprint plan that I noted above. Careful locking yourselves in on the iPhone for two years. EDGE for two years starting this June is not a good bet. Especially when you might be able to bundle broadband home internet and cell phone use for $55/month. AT&T better have an answer to this, or this whole merger thing is gonna get pwned.

Hmmmm...2-4 Mbps is what I call barely broadband these days. Not with Verizon finally implementing FTTH and able to support 30 Mbps (abeit pricey at the moment). Nor will it replace 802.11N networks because its just too slow. For home broadband it just isn't competitive with FiOS that Verizon is pushing in the DC area and they offer thier own triple/quadruple play options (unfortunately without much, if any, savings).

But for mobile data use that's great but the $55 is just for data. Voice appears to have its own base charge. We'll see how well it works early 2008.

Vinea