Steve Jobs implicated in Pixar stock option dust-up

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The smoldering controversy over the Apple chief's involvement in stock options reignited once again on Friday after curious timing in a Pixar stock option was discovered by the Wall Street Journal.

Quoting an anonymous source, the financial paper placed Apple chief executive Steve Jobs in even deeper hot water than before by suggesting that he had signed a job contract for Pixar's chief creative officer John Lasseter which gave the premier film director a questionable stock option bonus.

The ten-year contract, finalized in March 2001, saw Lasseter granted one million shares whose initial value was dishonestly backdated to a date three months before the deal had been completed -- coincidentally, the same day Pixar shares had been at their nadir in December of 2000. The terms effectively guaranteed that Lasseter would turn an immediate $6.4 million profit the day his new employment took effect, even before he received his first paycheck.

Then the CEO of Pixar, Jobs was known to have helped work out the details of the contract and had to put his signature to the deal for it to take effect, the Journal's informant said. However, doubt exists as to how much conscious involvement the company head truly had in the agreement. While his name on the paper implies tacit endorsement of the dubious grant, Jobs himself may not have actually chosen the date.

Still, an intense level of legal scrutiny is bound to follow the often controversial chief. Both the federal government and Pixar's parent company Disney (on whose board Jobs sits) are said to be actively investigating the studio's handling of stock options. And as always seems to be the case these days, Jobs is under the close watch of the government for irregularities in stocks at his very first company, Apple.

It comes as little surprise that none of the involved parties were prepared to comment to the Journal on the day's news. Disney forwarded requests to speak to Jobs to Apple, which in turn said he was unavailable; a similar response followed in attempts to contact Lasseter. Disney itself chose not to comment on the matter.

Shareholders were suitably unimpressed and thrashed Apple's stock value, which tumbled $2.91 to close at $83.27 by the end of trading on Friday evening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    when will it stop?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    I don't know.....

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't backdating legal? As long as everyone (the board) agrees to the deal?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Quoting an anonymous source....

"For secrecy sake, we will call him.... 'S. Balmer'..... no no no, that's too obvious...... let's call him..... 'Steve B.' "

• Reply 4 of 57
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

"For secrecy sake, we will call him.... 'S. Balmer'..... no no no, that's too obvious...... let's call him..... 'Steve B.' "

• Reply 5 of 57
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    "whose initial value was dishonestly backdated"

Sorry for yelling, but BACKDATING STOCK OPTIONS IS NOT ILLEGAL!

Now, hiding it, misrepresenting it, mis-reporting it, etc, can make for irregular (illegal?) accounting. but the backing of the options themselves is not illegal.

I don't subscribe to the WSJ, so I have not read the whole article; but even if Steve Jobs himself picked the date and signed the contract, that does not automatically mean the he was involved in making the accounting entries (and in all likelihood he was not). And while yes, he's was the man in charge, at some point you need to draw the line between CEO and CFO. I know with Enron and the resulting Sarbaines-Oxley laws that line has shifted to place more responsibility on the CEO to know details about financial transactions, but it is still a very poorly defined line that is drawn.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    This stock option dating issue is a case of the press gone amok. Backdating is legal!!! The only issue arises when a company doesn't account for it correctly and needs to pay the right amount of tax. So the ones that should be in hot water are the accountants and lawyers. And the real irony is that it's better for shareholders if the company does backdate. Think about it. If I want to pay the CEO $20 million (for argument's sake, but hardly out of the realm of possibility these days), I can either give him options at a backdated strike price, which already have value built in due to the fact they are "in the money", and therefore I don't have to issue as many options as I would if I issued them at current market price which aren't as valuable (assuming the stock price is higher today). Therefore, if I backdate the options, I dilute current shareholders less than if I date them as of today, when the price is higher! So why are shareholders filing lawsuits against the company, which only serves to depress the stock even more? It's really counter-intuitive, and makes no sense. The real issue is a compensation question for execs--it's a matter of how much they are getting paid, not how many options they are getting. And the last time I checked, how much you pay someone isn't a legal question either.

The financial press, and the press in general, just absolutely is missing the boat on this one. There was a great editorial in the WSJ a few weeks ago that addressed this issue, but the press just loves a great story and whipping people into a frenzy--and grabbing headlines in the meantime. Now tell me who is corrupt? This just has to end. Steve Jobs is not guilty of anything other than maybe getting paid a ton of money. But I would argue he, of all people, would deserve it for the value he has created at Apple. And getting paid a lot is not against the law!
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Glad to know it is legal. As an Apple shareholder I think this practice should stop.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    I'm guessing that's why the author put "dishonestly" in front of "backdated," innit?

The implication isn't that backdating by itself was wrong, but that the way it was done was wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"whose initial value was dishonestly backdated"

Sorry for yelling, but BACKDATING STOCK OPTIONS IS NOT ILLEGAL!

Now, hiding it, misrepresenting it, mis-reporting it, etc, can make for irregular (illegal?) accounting. but the backing of the options themselves is not illegal.

• Reply 9 of 57
    But as an Apple shareholder, you should think twice about not backdating stock options. Stock options have a certain amount of value based on the "strike" price (the price at which you are given the right to buy the stock) and the current market price. If the options get issued at a backdated price, you don't have to receive as many options to get the same value as you would if they were issued at a current, higher price. If the board of directors decides to pay Steve Jobs $20 million in stock based comp, it is better they do that with fewer options than more so other shareholders experience less dilution. The more you get diluted, the less of Apple's earnings you have a claim on, hence, Apple will have a lower earnings per share.

In reality, with a company as big as Apple, the dilution you experience from an executive option grant is probably not material. Which is another reason why all this is much ado about nothing. I mean, from 1997-2002, Apple recognized $84 million in extra expense? When Apple is making profits in the billions every year, $84 million is small peanuts.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I'm guessing that's why the author put "dishonestly" in front of "backdated," innit?

The implication isn't that backdating by itself was wrong, but that the way it was done was wrong.

Except that the "dishonestly" is likely the author's interpretation of the issue. I'm not sure how the author came to that conclusion. Most of these guys writing this stuff are wrong so that wouldn't surprise me.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    cy_cy_ Posts: 16member
    These people don't know what to say to keep AAPL down in Nasdaq.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    I'm afraid the term "dishonesty" came from the writers of Appleinsider, not the Wall Street Journal. The same for "curious timing", "questionable stock option", "often controversial chief" [sic]. I don't know what this sensationalist style is supposed to be good for, but the facts certainly are wrong. And the backdating was diclosed by Pixar in April 2001, so shareholders cannot act surprised now. The only problem is that Pixar should have disclosed it in February 2001, before they entered the contract. At least that's how I read it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh yeah, and this is a good time to buy AAPL shares. They will hit 100$ in autumn.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    I read the WSJ article. The only reason they mention Jobs name is because he _might_ have known what was going on and...well, Jobs' name sells. The real person who appears to be in a bit of warm water is John Lasseter, who was 84 days late in reporting the stock options in his renewed contract, as reported in the last three paragraphs of the WSJ's article.

And backdating is _NOT_ illegal, it's what you do to cover it up, whether from not reporting the backdating in the company's SEC filings or from making it look like something else to the market, that gets people in trouble.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sweeeeeeet! A new Apple product will be released on Tuesday.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Why are people so greedy? Aren't their normal salaries enough without all of this?
  • Reply 16 of 57
    cy_cy_ Posts: 16member
    heh, Steve Jobs salary is 1$
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Steve Jobs is to stock options as Barry Bonds is to steroids. Both men at the top of their respective fields: loved by some, hated by quite a few others, and both absolutely loathed by the press and the pundits for not playing the game by their rules or conforming to their expectations of how things should be done (e.g. the Microsoft way in Jobs' case, or the Cal Ripkin way in Bonds' case). In retaliation, the press dredges up heap upon heap of circumstantial evidence and hearsay to tar their reputations.

In the case of Bonds, the media's pile-on eventually worked on me. I used to be a staunch Bonds defender, now I care very little if he breaks the home run record next year or not, even if he hasn't been charged with any tangible offense as of yet. I pray it doesn't turn out that way for Jobs, but I do anecdotally see the tide of public opinion turning against him.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cy_ View Post

heh, Steve Jobs salary is 1$

Salary $1 per annum, but income $1 per milli-second
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cy_ View Post

These people don't know what to say to keep AAPL down in Nasdaq.

As a shareholder I admit that all this news about Steve Jobs and potentially "illegal" dealings makes me uneasy. But as for the price of the stock ($83 something as of this weekend) if it makes any sense to you, please explain it to me.

Apple announces record earnings, but predicts a conservative upcoming quarter, announces the iPhone to general applause and good expectations, Mac sales show strong growth in the face of a PC sales slowdown, the iPod continues to reign supreme among portable music players and the stock price is down from before New Year's???????

More recently Cisco announced 41 percent profit increases year over year and made an acquisition of a software company that almost all analysts agree was a good move and the stock price is down????

Stop me when this starts making sense to you.....
  • Reply 20 of 57
    The issue at hand is the fact that someone was granting these without fully accounting for the grants, that is stealing from the shareholders. Maybe he is guilty of this, maybe not, he is CEO and like all others he is getting the 'guilty until innocent' an awful lot.