Vista to bite into Apple's Mac market share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Why do people say stuff like this? Getting hold of a copy of Vista isn't some difficult, it's-more-likely-he's-just-saying-he-did-it, kind of thing. It's out there, available for purchase.

Yep. I ran Vista beta 2, RC1 and RC2 during last year and I'm a Mac user at home. Very easy to come by even before its release. But you know what? So many commentators are jackassed enough to pass along a meme instead of do their own research. How many times have I stumbled into Vista v Mac posts by people who have NEVER ran Vista or even Tiger? Too many. There's a lot of people out there with axes to grind, and others just with easy columns to fill. Forgive some of us from reacting based on experience.

Quote:

But really, what has that got to do with anything, anyway, whether he's used Vista or not? He isn't talking about whether Mac is better than Windows. He's just telling his investors "Don't lose your water if you see Mac market share nudge downward in the next couple of months. It's not necessarily a sign people prefer Vista. It's just people satisfying pent up curiosity."

True. Vista means more as a paid Windows upgrade and incentive to buy new hardware than it does as a user experience. This we all know. Shame the jackasses often mix the two ideas.

Quote:

Seems like you guys would welcome somebody coming out and reminding people that this kind of thing happens. And he clearly needs to say something like this, because it does happen. Pent-up demand, pent-up curiosity, it's out there. With the enormous user-base of Windows, even a minor bump in sales will make a negative impact in Mac market share. Don't say it won't happen. Be glad if it doesn't, but be realistic.

I don't know what you expect to find on AppleInsider, but taking the piss out of MS is pretty much a common passtime around here. I hear the reverse is true over at a wide selection of Windows centric places. Perhaps you might want to calm their more outlandish contingent when they make their Ballmer-esque cries along the lines: "Vista is going to f**king Kill Apple! YEEEEAAAH!!11!1!!"

Neither extreme view is true of course. Leave Monkeyboy and Artie MacStrawman to their business.

Quote:

<soapbox>

I see so many posts on Mac forums criticizing these financial analysts, because their analysis seems tepid or obvious. But why? We've gotten so acclimated to how the regular news services behave, and that's sad. It's backwards, I think. Hardly anybody does "news" any more. They do infotainment and edutainment. They want to hit you with something that catches your attention, stirs up controversy (read: makes you angry at someone other than them), so they can profit. The more they stir you up, the more you keep coming back. As a result, though, we seem to act as though every bit of news pertaining to us is a call to arms. And the only thing we try and do, glancing over it, is to answer the age old question "Are you with us, or against us?" It's in the face of neutral news like this that the inappropriateness of this reaction is best seen. Just remember the difference between being informed and being worked up. But more to the point, when you encounter someone who is just trying to analyze a situation objectively, to inform people without pushing a political agenda (whether it's yours or someone else's), put your weapons down. Check your anger at the door. And just read what the man said and consider it. No "oomph", no "pizzazz"? Sometimes those are artificial additives not always necessary. No controversy? Wonderful. Don't respond by trying to manufacture your own, every... single... time. It may be the knee-jerk response that "infortainment" taught you, but sometimes it's not necessary.

</soapbox>

Dude, I was raised on BBC news, have you heard of it? Fake Steve references aside, I feel your pain. But you have the internet now. Find some good sites, good analysis, and good discussion boards and pull the plug from that TV forever. The best thing about free speech is when everyone can make use of it, instead of its name being taken in vain as the lame defense for the latest media attention whore like Jack Thompson or Dvorak!

PS: the analyst we really love around here is Shaw Woo. He's the man! Never miss any of his threads, we get them quite frequently. I sure hope he gets his news from this very forum.
  • Reply 22 of 118
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate and have been using it continuously for a number of days. It doesn't suck, at least no more than XP. It is pretty much the same old Windows with a new coat of paint. So anyone who is already familiar with XP will feel right at home with Vista. That is once they replace their Linksys wireless router ( if it is more than a year or so old it is incompatible), update the firmware in their cable modem, get new drivers for second hard drive, and patch dozens of software applications, then they'll be ready to go. Windows is Windows...Whatever, get a Mac if you like Macs. It's not like Macs don't have a few issues as well. Nothing is perfect.

M

You're either lying through your teeth or don't know quality when you see it or you are one lucky person.

I spent about 8 hours on vista the other day trying to install vista compatible print drivers. Mind you I work in XP and OS X all day every day. Most of my client side programming came from windows (Win32, MFC, .net). Needless to say I know windows.

I also know I wanted to throw the computer through the window while working on it. This was a brand new computer that shipped with vista. I haven't seen this many errors in windows since windows 95. I'm not even talking about the dreaded confirm this windows. I would try and change the default printer, a dialog would come up with a status bar that would keep moving for 5 minutes. So I'd click cancel. It would still just sit there another 5 minutes. So I'd do a end process. Nope sit there another 5 minutes waiting for that. Except there wasn't any user feed back that end process was clicked. So I'd click it 2-3 times... and then I get bunch of lovely textboxes that ask me if I really want to kill the process 5 minutes later followed by allow or deny. Are you kidding me? Eventually I had to remove the driver and software out of add / remove since I couldn't roll back the driver on the printer. I'm not going to bring up things that have already been brought up by reviewers before me. Vista is a mess and far from final.

I didn't mind the UI changes in Vista. Such as hiding the shutdown / restart out of the power button on the windows bar. Or switching the control panels around (even in classic view). That stuff didn't bother me. Takes you a few seconds to figure it out. I was considering upgrading to Vista.... not gonna happen now. I don't have time to deal with the inconsistencies involved with it. IMO M$ did themselves no favors by releasing it with this many flaws.
  • Reply 23 of 118
    i think OS X, new version for each year hurting a little here, the news of Leopard in Spring may slow down mac sales in the near term, after Leopard release it will eventually back to its original position.

it will be nice OS release every 24 months cycle ...
  • Reply 24 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thataboy View Post

This is a rough 2-3 month gap between Vista and Leopard. People are ready to upgrade their computers, and Apple are staying "OK, you're buying a computer, think about Mac."

But it is Mac with 10.4. How will a switcher feel paying $129 in 2-3 months for 10.5?

An aggressive counter-Vista move would be for Apple to say "if you buy a new Mac NOW, you get a free upgrade when Leopard is released." Or their typical $19.95 "handling" fee for free upgrades I mean, Apple isn't struggling for money anymore. They can make this sort of move with little risk.

They could also meet the potential switcher half-way in other aspects. Apple's machines are generally not affordable enough for the general user and don't have the expansion or power features the power user is looking for. Apple is placing all their hopes on the premium thin and light notebook segment, a general notebook that is light and portable whose screen might be too small for some, and a belief that somehow people are going to start buying all in ones despite their inherent draw backs when they've been ignoring them for the last ten years. Add to that Apple is the only mainstream computer maker not to include productivity or financial software on their consumer models. That's another $160 a consumer has to pay.
  • Reply 25 of 118
    Quote:

Why do people say stuff like this? Getting hold of a copy of Vista isn't some difficult, it's-more-likely-he's-just-saying-he-did-it, kind of thing. It's out there, available for purchase.

But really, what has that got to do with anything, anyway, whether he's used Vista or not? He isn't talking about whether Mac is better than Windows. He's just telling his investors "Don't lose your water if you see Mac market share nudge downward in the next couple of months. It's not necessarily a sign people prefer Vista. It's just people satisfying pent up curiosity."

Seems like you guys would welcome somebody coming out and reminding people that this kind of thing happens. And he clearly needs to say something like this, because it does happen. Pent-up demand, pent-up curiosity, it's out there. With the enormous user-base of Windows, even a minor bump in sales will make a negative impact in Mac market share. Don't say it won't happen. Be glad if it doesn't, but be realistic.

<soapbox>

I see so many posts on Mac forums criticizing these financial analysts, because their analysis seems tepid or obvious. But why? We've gotten so acclimated to how the regular news services behave, and that's sad. It's backwards, I think. Hardly anybody does "news" any more. They do infotainment and edutainment. They want to hit you with something that catches your attention, stirs up controversy (read: makes you angry at someone other than them), so they can profit. The more they stir you up, the more you keep coming back. As a result, though, we seem to act as though every bit of news pertaining to us is a call to arms. And the only thing we try and do, glancing over it, is to answer the age old question "Are you with us, or against us?" It's in the face of neutral news like this that the inappropriateness of this reaction is best seen. Just remember the difference between being informed and being worked up. But more to the point, when you encounter someone who is just trying to analyze a situation objectively, to inform people without pushing a political agenda (whether it's yours or someone else's), put your weapons down. Check your anger at the door. And just read what the man said and consider it. No "oomph", no "pizzazz"? Sometimes those are artificial additives not always necessary. No controversy? Wonderful. Don't respond by trying to manufacture your own, every... single... time. It may be the knee-jerk response that "infortainment" taught you, but sometimes it's not necessary.

</soapbox>

If you feel the need to question my usage of Vista, I can safely say that I am very qualified to rip Vista, seeing as I've used every build since before you knew about it. I know what Vista was supposed to be. Vista in its RTM form is like Longhorn with it's balls cut off.

Its very unfortunate.
  • Reply 26 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

Integrate iPhoto with Picasa and Flikr.

Google have done this already - http://picasa.google.com/web/mac_tools.html

And there is a 3rd party free plugin for Flickr - http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macg...ugin/index.php

I'm sure most of the rest of the stuff you quoted are due in iLife 07 and I'd be surprised if at least the Google link above doesn't get added what with Google's CEO being on the board of Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

They could also meet the potential switcher half-way in other aspects. Apple's machines are generally not affordable enough for the general user and don't have the expansion or power features the power user is looking for. Apple is placing all their hopes on the premium thin and light notebook segment, a general notebook that is light and portable whose screen might be too small for some, and a belief that somehow people are going to start buying all in ones despite their inherent draw backs when they've been ignoring them for the last ten years. Add to that Apple is the only mainstream computer maker not to include productivity or financial software on their consumer models. That's another $160 a consumer has to pay.

√. I fail to see how some on these boards seem to think Apple has all their bases covered with the current lineup.
  • Reply 28 of 118
    I think the affect of the release of Mac OX 10.5 will be minor compared to the release of Abobe CS3. One is a "minor update" (nice to have but...), the other is a reason to replace aging PowerMacs with new Intel-based Macs.
  • Reply 29 of 118
    Let's be honest.

Vista is a nice upgrade. I'm not particularly happy with the generaly work-flow changes since I'm used to 2K/XP but it is pretty.! :-P Seriously though, there are some significant under the hood changes that I'm actually excited about as an IT guy. The XP file synchronization seems to work as well or better (in some respects) than Tiger's portable home directories though it seems to be less flexible. They really only want you to syncing My Documents.

OTOH, MS just announced a critical security hole in the install process which allows every installer to run as Admin, providing a path for privledge escalation. Vista's off to to a great start.

On the quality of the source:

BestBuy is NOT the place to guage Vista vs. MacOS sales. The BestBuys around me don't stock ANY Apple hardware or software. Not only that, BestBuy employees get bonuses from PC vendors. To my knowledge Apple has never done this in BestBuy. The BB employees are literally bribed to not sell Apple product by the PC vendors [since they are bribed to sell PC hardware].

Finally, Pipper Jaffery is the least reliable of any of the 'Market Analysts'. If I had a quarter for every time they've pulled some BS out of their ass I'd have a new Mac. As soon as I see "Pipper Jafery" I immediately discount whatever is said. This isn't just about Apple or the tech sector either. One of my employees is an avid financial market watcher (and a good amateur investor) and he tells me that Pipper Jaffery is a joke in other sectors too.
  • Reply 30 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

?. I fail to see how some on these boards seem to think Apple has all their bases covered with the current lineup.

I fail to see how some on these boards seem to think Apple has to cover all the bases.

It's pretty plain by now that they've absolutely no intention of covering every part of computer market.
  • Reply 31 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I fail to see how some on these boards seem to think Apple has to cover all the bases.

It's pretty plain by now that they've absolutely no intention of covering every part of computer market.

They do NOT need to cover every base. But they have gaping holes in their current lineup. I don't want to get into it in this thread. It's been beaten to death in other threads. And I'm specifically talking about a lower priced tower / consumer machine. There are far too many people that say "how much is a tower?" 2.5k. "no thanks".
  • Reply 32 of 118
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

√. I fail to see how some on these boards seem to think Apple has all their bases covered with the current lineup.

Nobody thinks that. A lot of people are smart enough, however, to realize that a company cannot and shouldn't attempt to "cover all bases".
  • Reply 33 of 118
    On a personal note, I know that the Mac market is going to expand. A friend of mine is a CEO at a very large company. He purchased a Macbook, his first Mac, and is raving about it to anyone who will listen. He has spent most of the last couple of nights on iChat and is amazed. My other friend heard the ravings of the Macbook from the other friend and had me help him purchase one also. His daughter starts college in the fall and will give it to her then, which means he will also have to buy a new mac in the fall for the family. My brother is watching all this and is now on the fence upon his next purchase. These are people who just six months ago would never have entertained the idea of purchasing a mac computer. These people are really scared of moving to a mac because they just dont know anything about them.

Example: My one friend asked me on the day he was buying a mac if he could transfer his email address to the mac and then start receiving his email on the mac. OH MY GOD! This is the type of person Apple has to convince and coddle in upgrading. They stuck with the PC because it was the only thing they are comfortable with. But times are changing.

The one thing that may have changed that is that everyone of my friends have iPods and all their kids have iPods.
  • Reply 34 of 118
    Yah bad wording on my part. I was trying to emphasize they needed to change their line up a bit.
  • Reply 35 of 118
    I'm a hardcore Apple fanboy and I just tried Vista for the first time last night on a friends PC. I was very impressed at how far MS came. It was a solid, beautiful and very functional OS that I could possibly see myself using. I'm guessing it can only get better from here, so I'll have to see if MS messes this up. It truly is a well done OS.
  • Reply 36 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Nobody thinks that. A lot of people are smart enough, however, to realize that a company cannot and shouldn't attempt to "cover all bases".

Then people should also be smart enough not to be expecting any kind of mass exodus from windows not matter how good the OS is.
  • Reply 37 of 118
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When will the Boot Camp drivers disk support Vista?
  • Reply 38 of 118
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Then people should also be smart enough not to be expecting any kind of mass exodus from windows not matter how good the OS is.

I am. I neither expect it, nor do I want it. I do not want Apple to grow too much, and neither should anyone else.
  • Reply 39 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonndailey View Post

I'm a hardcore Apple fanboy and I just tried Vista for the first time last night on a friends PC. I was very impressed at how far MS came. It was a solid, beautiful and very functional OS that I could possibly see myself using. I'm guessing it can only get better from here, so I'll have to see if MS messes this up. It truly is a well done OS.

To be honest, Vista as it is right now doesn't scare me. Give it a couple months to mature and it's Mac-like enough where it might.
  • Reply 40 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

When will the Boot Camp drivers disk support Vista?

10.5 should have full vista support.