AT&T (Cingular) mulling iPhone price tweaks, survey reveals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can possibly see myself jumping for those prices, even though I don't need a PDA yet, my current one is still fine.

I can see the originally given prices prevailing for several months, to soak the early adopters, with a couple reductions staggered every three or so months. I think the original large iPod Photo went for $550 or $600, and its price was dropped a couple times to $500 and then $400, with a few months between.

The image could be completely fake, made by anyone, even Cingular, as a ruse to convince Apple to capitulate on some things, or by others in a campaign to deflate the hype and interest in the device. I really don't think that the Cingular name will appear anywhere on a real ad once the device is released.

It isn't so much to soak the early adopters, as it is to pay off the R&D. The R&D is always taken off the top end, that is, it's figured into a certain number of units sold within a certain time (for tax reasons among others). After that, the price can come down, sometimes by a large amount. After that, price reductions usually reflect larger manufacturing savings obtained from paying off the start-up costs for the device.
  • Reply 22 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

And say bye bye to any battery time the phone had? I think not, unless El Jobso have made some major innovation in the battery business. But perhaps they counted on 3G being in the phone when they calculated battery time.

Anyway, least dropped calls? I never had a dropped call over here, unless you somehow find yourself in an area completely without coverage. What gives?

I would be more concerned about battery life with the current WiFi chipsets than for 3G service.

And don't forget that Jobs did say that it will be getting 3G. He just didn't say when.
  • Reply 23 of 149
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    it's bigger than the above suggests, the iphone being part of the montrous hit ipod is giving att huge huge buzz, and people will walk into the store and if they don't buy iphone that will creat tremendous traffic which puts the advantage to att not verizon, i bet V is kicking themselves in the b...lls, to allow a competitor to gain this kind of industry control and buzz. att could lose on every iphone but they win win win with more and more customers. it's also a prestige thing, they can say they have the best. it's catch up for all manufacturers and big V, it also humiliates V because they already have a rep for crippling their phone feature set.....

what's great about this is that with iphone it's pushing more power to the manufactures and customers, i would rather have a system like europe where you buy the phone and it works on all networks and then pick the best plan for your needs.

networks know that growth in voice revenue is matured, now it's data data data and more and more plans. this iphone tells people hey i don't want just a regular phone i want a smart phone, a brilliant phone as one analyst stated, so those avg bills and plans $$$$$ go up up up, which is where the profit is

that's why att is actually doing this, even though they have that old bell foggy ways, this pulls in the youth market to smart phone plans. it's now hip to have a smart phone, and the other manufactures are caught with their pants down allowing apple to get 18 months of momentum.

other manufactures could have done what apple did but they didn't have the ipod as the push.
  • Reply 24 of 149
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple has made a mistake, for example, by not also having a secure mail service, instead of just going with Yahoo. Most people who need the kind of mail that Blackberry offers, and now Apple and AT&T will be offering, are corporate. Apple has locked itself out of that entire market.

That's difficult to say. People assume iPhone will not support MS Exchange because Jobs did not say so specifically. A this point its difficult to say for sure. Apple may be building its own open source system with Calendar Server.

Quote:

By not having 3G, Apple has caused itself problems as well. The excuse Jobs gave was very lame. Hopefully, the finished unit being tested by the FCC will include it, though it will be more expensive.

What mistake? How was his excuse lame? Its not as though the general consumer is clamoring for 3G in the United States. ATT may be working on improving EDGE and I also see several new phones that use EDGE.

The big mistake I see Apple making is in storage. I'm beginning to agree with those that 4GB and 8GB are not enough. Thinking about loading software, e-mails, documents, contacts, appointments, pictures. What room is possibly left for very many songs or video. If Apple does go with this as internal they should also offer a micro SD slot. I imagine Jobs thinks fooling around with SD cards is not the most elegant solution.

The perfect solution would be to offer more storage. Apple could cut some exclusive deal with Samsung to get its new 32 GB flash drives at a discount for the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's difficult to say. People assume iPhone will not support MS Exchange because Jobs did not say so specifically. A this point its difficult to say for sure. Apple may be building its own open source system with Calendar Server.

I don't mean Exchange. I'm talking about the push mail service of Yahoo, that is similar to the one the Blacberry uses, except that it's not secure, as the one RIM has.

Quote:

What mistake? How was his excuse lame? Its not as though the general consumer is clamoring for 3G in the United States. ATT may be working on improving EDGE and I also see several new phones that use EDGE.

Other smartphones that have 3g are being sold, and bought, by AT&T users, despite the fact that their 3G rollout isn't complete. to give that as a reason for not including it, was lame.

High end phone users are demanding it, or at least the 2.5 G services. The iPhone will have neither.

It won't fly in Europe or Asia, and rollout there isn't going to be that far away. Europe by the end of December, at the latest, and Asia, sometime in 2008, likely early, rather than late.

Quote:

The big mistake I see Apple making is in storage. I'm beginning to agree with those that 4GB and 8GB are not enough. Thinking about loading software, e-mails, documents, contacts, appointments, pictures. What room is possibly left for very many songs or video. If Apple does go with this as internal they should also offer a micro SD slot. I imagine Jobs thinks fooling around with SD cards is not the most elegant solution.

The perfect solution would be to offer more storage. Apple could cut some exclusive deal with Samsung to get its new 32 GB flash drives at a discount for the iPhone.

I think that storage is fine for now. People also thought that the Nano's would bomb, having less storage than the Mini's, but they didn't. Most people simply don't store that much stuff on the machines. I don't think that will change much.

You can think of the 4 GB model as equiv. to the 2 Gb Nano, and the 8 GB model as equiv. to the 4 GB Nano. That leaves enough storage for whatever else is needed. Most emails take up little space, and won't be stored long term on the phone anyway. There won't be much software to buy for some time, so that's out. How much video do you really think people will have? Not much, I'm sure.

32 GB is vastly too expensive for now, will use even more power, and Samsung won't give any special discount. Apple will have to negotiate for it. It will still cost far too much. The current prices for the phone are based on discounted memory now.
  • Reply 26 of 149
    It is too bad the deal with Verizon or perhaps Sprint didn't work out. Did you see in the keynote how slow the internet was on the phone during jobs presentation. Verizon or Sprint are so much faster. This phone will be limited in the speed department.
  • Reply 27 of 149
    Quote:

Other smartphones that have 3g are being sold, and bought, by AT&T users, despite the fact that their 3G rollout isn't complete. to give that as a reason for not including it, was lame.

The choice came from either having a wireless network that was fast but not everywhere. Or having a wireless network that was slower but more ubiquitous. But too all of this could be changed by June.

Quote:

It won't fly in Europe or Asia,

Which likely points to the fact we will have a 3G iPhone sooner than later.

Quote:

People also thought that the Nano's would bomb

The Nano's don't store video.

Quote:

That leaves enough storage for whatever else is needed. Most emails take up little space, and won't be stored long term on the phone anyway.

I agree 4GB/8Gb is plenty for e-mail, contacts, calendars appointments and so on. But not enough for that and music, pictures, and video.

Quote:

There won't be much software to buy for some time, so that's out.

We really will have to wait and see what Apple decides about software. Certainly there will be no shortage of developers and apps for the iPhone. Will Apple only play the gatekeeper allowing anyone who wants to develop to pass. Or will Apple only allow specific apps it chooses. I imagine it'll be the later first and loosen restrictions later.

Quote:

How much video do you really think people will have? Not much, I'm sure.

For having an online video store they are not giving you much choice.
  • Reply 28 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The choice came from either having a wireless network that was fast but not everywhere. Or having a wireless network that was slower but more ubiquitous. But too all of this could be changed by June.

The other phones have both 3G and EDGE. No reason for Apple to be different. And, they WILL have 3G, they said so.

Quote:

Which likely points to the fact we will have a 3G iPhone sooner than later.

Yes, as I said. So, there is no reason to have to have more than one model out there, one with 3G and one without.

Quote:

The Nano's don't store video.

I know people who put music video's on their Nano to transfer elsewhere.

Quote:

I agree 4GB/8Gb is plenty for e-mail, contacts, calendars appointments and so on. But not enough for that and music, pictures, and video.

I don't agree. People will not put more than a very few video's on these little devices. You watch a video once, and remove it. It's not like music, and there is plenty of room for music.

Quote:

We really will have to wait and see what Apple decides about software. Certainly there will be no shortage of developers and apps for the iPhone. Will Apple only play the gatekeeper allowing anyone who wants to develop to pass. Or will Apple only allow specific apps it chooses. I imagine it'll be the later first and loosen restrictions later.

There will be a shortage of developers and apps, if Apple has its way.
  • Reply 29 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would be more concerned about battery life with the current WiFi chipsets than for 3G service.

And don't forget that Jobs did say that it will be getting 3G. He just didn't say when.

It will definitely have 3G in the fall when it goes on sale in Europe. It will also have a sim card for the provider of choice. Apple will sell the phone and the buyer will choose the service provider, unless the provider locks you in for a contract period to recoup any discount they offer the user.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    I think it's rather asinine to assume that the iPhone has enough storage. 4-8 gigs IS enough for a nano because it's a music player primarily, and that's what it's good at. No one would watch video on a nano screen due to the sheer size of it, so, other than transporting, there's little reason to have video on a nano. Apple knows that, that's why the nano sizes are what they are.

Anyone who wants video will buy iPod with video whose screen is just large enough to watch videos for a short amount of time without a bit of eyestrain. Those iPods come with massive hard drives for a portable music player because of the fact that Apple knows people use this model to view video. Not movies, mind you, because most people don't watch movies on their iPods. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some do, but most people would rather not stare at that screen for 90 minutes or more. That's why television shows are so hot at the iTunes Store. 20 minute shows with no commercials is the perfect amount of time for most of us to stare at the iPod's screen without eye strain.

But this problem is solved with iPhone. 3.5 inches, as small as it sounds, is actually a pretty good size to watch full-out movies when you're on the go and waiting. Apple knows this. This will be the perfect portable video device by itself as an iPod, never mind everything else they put in it. 4-8 is NOT enough unless.... Yea, I'm sure Apple thought of this, too.

The real Video iPod. iPhone with the same screen without iPhone.app or the radio. Keep wi-fi ability for access to the web and google, widgets, etc when you're at a hot-spot. (Many homes have wifi, as do work-places and even malls.) HUGE hard drives in here. Apple has 5.5 gen iPods with 80 GB drives and that's a good place to start.

Suddenly, the recent inclusions of movies on iTunes makes sense. People will want to buy content, and this Video iPod will be the perfect way to view it to go. Of course, AppleTV will take that same file to your HD TV.

I think the strategy is rather smart. It really corners the market.
  • Reply 31 of 149
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Heh...at the end of the article I was thinking "Hey it would be nice to see this Cingular ad" when it was right in the middle of the article and my eyes just skipped over it so completely I didn't notice that it WAS the Cingular iPhone ad.

Anyone else do that or am I the only one that ignores web ads so completely?

Vinea
  • Reply 32 of 149
    Wait...the annoying add in the middle had something to do with the article ....ohhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 33 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Heh...at the end of the article I was thinking "Hey it would be nice to see this Cingular ad" when it was right in the middle of the article and my eyes just skipped over it so completely I didn't notice that it WAS the Cingular iPhone ad.

Anyone else do that or am I the only one that ignores web ads so completely?

Vinea

Second
  • Reply 34 of 149
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Second

Yeah, but don't publicize it. We might have to start subscribing with $$ if online advertizers realize we don't pay attention.

Actually, I have noticed the pop up adds that cover the articles make me NOT want to see the movie they advertize or buy their product. I just find them so annoying. But I guess they do that to make sure that we see them...
  • Reply 35 of 149
    Quote:

I'm also with Sprint. with my Treo 700p, I'm in no rush to leave.

Why don't you wait until this phone is out, has been in people's hands for a while, and you can properly evaluate it, before you think of jumping?

I for one will be glad to dump my Treo 700p in a heartbeat when the iPhone comes out. I'm tired of all the freezes and restarts I have to perform.

What makes the iPhone compelling, and what is going to blow away the phone community, is multitouch. While lots of phone makers are adding larger screens, none of them to date, except for Apple, have anything as exciting and innovative as multitouch.

Having owned a smartphone for quite a while, I can say that ease of use is everything when you're dealing with a handheld device. If it does what you want, but takes too many steps to get to it, it won't prevail in the market. The iPhone will do many of the same things that I already do with my 700p, but much better: the web browser is lightyears ahead of the awful browser in the 700p.

The same goes for the other apps in the iPhone. So far as guys trying to buy an iPhone without a data plan, I seriously doubt that will even be possible.
  • Reply 36 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

And say bye bye to any battery time the phone had? I think not, unless El Jobso have made some major innovation in the battery business. But perhaps they counted on 3G being in the phone when they calculated battery time.

Anyway, least dropped calls? I never had a dropped call over here, unless you somehow find yourself in an area completely without coverage. What gives?

My understanding is that 3G will be added once there's enough coverage in the U.S. to justify its inclusion.

Remember, this is just the first version. There will be countless refinements and improvements to the iPhone, just like there have been for the iPod.

Take a look at the first version of the iPod and then compare it to what we have now--the difference is amazing.
  • Reply 37 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

I for one will be glad to dump my Treo 700p in a heartbeat when the iPhone comes out. I'm tired of all the freezes and restarts I have to perform.

What makes the iPhone compelling, and what is going to blow away the phone community, is multitouch. While lots of phone makers are adding larger screens, none of them to date, except for Apple, have anything as exciting and innovative as multitouch.

Having owned a smartphone for quite a while, I can say that ease of use is everything when you're dealing with a handheld device. If it does what you want, but takes too many steps to get to it, it won't prevail in the market. The iPhone will do many of the same things that I already do with my 700p, but much better: the web browser is lightyears ahead of the awful browser in the 700p.

The same goes for the other apps in the iPhone. So far as guys trying to buy an iPhone without a data plan, I seriously doubt that will even be possible.

I'm with that, my Treo 650 is not so stable. However, It does have a feel-able keyboard with quick dials stored to various keys, that I can use without looking. Hopefully the iPhone has better headset ability , otherwise a flat, screen-only phone could be a major pain in the a**.
  • Reply 38 of 149
    Quote:

The other phones have both 3G and EDGE. No reason for Apple to be different. And, they WILL have 3G, they said so.

Well you are the one who initially said its a big mistake for Apple to leave 3G off of the iPhone.

Quote:

So, there is no reason to have to have more than one model out there, one with 3G and one without.

I agree. But the iPhone will sell either way.

Quote:

I know people who put music video's on their Nano to transfer elsewhere.

That's totally different. I'm talking about video you can actually use on the device.

Quote:

I don't agree. People will not put more than a very few video's on these little devices. You watch a video once, and remove it.

How would you know this for sure? With the ability to get almost anything from P2P, I would more believe people carrying around video is becoming more common. Especially people under 25.

Quote:

There will be a shortage of developers and apps, if Apple has its way.

Well I mean if Apple nourishes a developer community there will be no shortage of apps. And how do you know Apples way? Steve never said they would allow no third party apps. He said they would control what software can be added to the iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

I think it's rather asinine to assume that the iPhone has enough storage. 4-8 gigs IS enough for a nano because it's a music player primarily, and that's what it's good at. No one would watch video on a nano screen due to the sheer size of it, so, other than transporting, there's little reason to have video on a nano. Apple knows that, that's why the nano sizes are what they are.

Anyone who wants video will buy iPod with video whose screen is just large enough to watch videos for a short amount of time without a bit of eyestrain. Those iPods come with massive hard drives for a portable music player because of the fact that Apple knows people use this model to view video. Not movies, mind you, because most people don't watch movies on their iPods. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some do, but most people would rather not stare at that screen for 90 minutes or more. That's why television shows are so hot at the iTunes Store. 20 minute shows with no commercials is the perfect amount of time for most of us to stare at the iPod's screen without eye strain.

But this problem is solved with iPhone. 3.5 inches, as small as it sounds, is actually a pretty good size to watch full-out movies when you're on the go and waiting. Apple knows this. This will be the perfect portable video device by itself as an iPod, never mind everything else they put in it. 4-8 is NOT enough unless.... Yea, I'm sure Apple thought of this, too.

The real Video iPod. iPhone with the same screen without iPhone.app or the radio. Keep wi-fi ability for access to the web and google, widgets, etc when you're at a hot-spot. (Many homes have wifi, as do work-places and even malls.) HUGE hard drives in here. Apple has 5.5 gen iPods with 80 GB drives and that's a good place to start.

Suddenly, the recent inclusions of movies on iTunes makes sense. People will want to buy content, and this Video iPod will be the perfect way to view it to go. Of course, AppleTV will take that same file to your HD TV.

I think the strategy is rather smart. It really corners the market.

It's also asinine to assume that it doesn't have enough storage.

It will have enough storage for most people who want one. Those who want more storage can either keep using their iPod for a while longer until flash comes down further in price, or just go and buy another phone that can play music as well as this, as well as videos, that has the 32 GB of storage they are insisting upon.

Which device will that be?
  • Reply 40 of 149
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

It's also asinine to assume that it doesn't have enough storage.

It will have enough storage for most people who want one. Those who want more storage can either keep using their iPod for a while longer until flash comes down further in price, or just go and buy another phone that can play music as well as this, as well as videos, that has the 32 GB of storage they are insisting upon.

Which device will that be?

Bingo.

1) The iPhone currently has far more storage than pretty much any other phone or smartphone.

2) The vast majority of iPod sales has in the past few years consistently been in the area of 4 GBs. This is reflected not only in Apple's product line-up, which emphasizes the nano the most, rather than the regular-sized iPod, but more importantly in the average selling price.

The iPhone's capacity will likely double just about every year anyway, making this a moot point in the long run.