Best external hard drive for back-up purposes?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Powerbook and I would like to buy a high-quality, easy-to-use external hard drive for back-up purposes.

Does anyone have some suggestions on which manufacturer makes the best external hard drives and which ones come with the best back-up software for the Mac?

I’m highly considering Seagate over LaCie, Maxtor and Iomega because I’ve heard they make the best drives. How is their back-up software though?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dferigmu View Post

I have a Powerbook and I would like to buy a high-quality, easy-to-use external hard drive for back-up purposes.

Does anyone have some suggestions on which manufacturer makes the best external hard drives and which ones come with the best back-up software for the Mac?

I?m highly considering Seagate over LaCie, Maxtor and Iomega because I?ve heard they make the best drives. How is their back-up software though?

I like and have used for a year or two now the One Touch series from Maxtor. One button and it's a full, bootable backup. Saved me when the iMac drive took a dive.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Maxtor is now owned by Seagate. Try and see if you can get the Seagate 5-year-warranty deals. It may only be on purchasing the actual hard-drive - which is the most important thing. The 3.5" FW400/ USB2.0 enclosure is pretty cheap - get a simple one on eBay, get a good 5-year-warrantied hard drive from Seagate. ...Put hard-drive in enclosure. Rock out.

An all-in-one big backup drive might be nice and sexy but may only have 1 or 2 year warranties on it. After the warranty runs out, you gotta trash the whole thing or dig inside to try and rescue it. If you use a regular hard-disk drive, that's 5-year warrantied by Seagate, then you can swap and change the enclosure as your needs dictate. Also if you get a RAID enclosure later on if you are running say 2 Seagate drives in RAID0 or 1 or 0+1 etc.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    It depends on what you want. As others have said, Seagate makes the most reliable drives (used to be IBM with their Deskstar series, until a rash of failures... see 'click of death').

As far as the software goes, if you just want a complete image of your currrent hard drive, then you could easily using something like rsync. It's a command line tool that syncs two folders (in this case it would be the root directories of each drive). I know that there is at least one GUI wrapper for it called rsyncX. You could look into it.

If you completely want a hands-off approach, then you should just look into something like the Maxtor One-Touch series, but as nvidia2008 mentioned, you'll probably have to settle for a shorter warranty period on that drive. You'll just have to weigh the pros and cons of the 'hands-off' approach with a shorter warranty versus as longer warranty with more hassle on your part.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    jinixjinix Posts: 33member
    I also have the same question as the initial poster.

I need an external harddrive, but here's my question:

"What is the best hard drive that suits Macs?"

I know that most external hard drives won't come with a FAT32 format. Are there any external hard drives that come with the FAT32 format to work well on both macs and PCs?

I had this impression that LaCie drives are mac-friendly. Do those come with the FAT32 format?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinix View Post

I also have the same question as the initial poster.

I need an external harddrive, but here's my question:

"What is the best hard drive that suits Macs?"

I know that most external hard drives won't come with a FAT32 format. Are there any external hard drives that come with the FAT32 format to work well on both macs and PCs?

I had this impression that LaCie drives are mac-friendly. Do those come with the FAT32 format?

You can simply format them as FAT32 yourself, so that's no issue at all.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I'd say if you can find an affordable hard drive that isn't RAID 0 and has firewire, go for it. Bonus points for Seagates.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You can simply format them as FAT32 yourself, so that's no issue at all.

is that possible without a special program? Can I do that on my mac right away?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Open up Disk Utility. It's on every Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    G'day

1. Seagate drives.

2. A usb2/ Firewire 400 external box. (if one interface fails, you've still got the other, & usb2 can be used on PC's if formatted in Fat32)

3. Use the freeware Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable & incremental backups.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Regards

Santa
  • Reply 10 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    THIS IS YOUR BEST BET:

G-DRIVE QUAD INTERFACE
  • Reply 11 of 42
    If your Powerbook has FW800 get a drive that supports that as it's much faster than Firewire 400 or USB2.

Everybody has their favorites when it comes to drives. Seagate usually is considered one of the better brands, while it's been report that Maxtor has had problems lately.

I'm not sure but I think the "One Touch" software that comes with most drives is Windows only.

Besides CarbonCopyCloner which has already been mentioned, SuperDupper is good and perhaps easier to use. Both have free trial versions.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    thanks guys I'm getting all your advices.

I have three more questions

1. Many people around me use LaCie. How does it fare to...say....Seagate which some of you seem to approve.

2. I live in NYC. I can go to Tekserve and get one there, but can also order online for a lower price. Which way would you recommend?

3. Is formatting into a FAT32 easy?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

THIS IS YOUR BEST BET:

G-DRIVE QUAD INTERFACE

that sounds really nice. But it's a little bit heavy in price for what I was thinking for now.

How would you say Western Digital's MyBook series/ LaCie/ Seagate series do compared to G-Drive. I haven't seen many G-Drive ones around me.

I just found a deal online that's has a Fantom Titanium II 500GB for $149. It doesn't have the firewire support, but everything else seems nice. Should I go for it?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    Quote:

that sounds really nice. But it's a little bit heavy in price for what I was thinking for now.

How would you say Western Digital's MyBook series/ LaCie/ Seagate series do compared to G-Drive. I haven't seen many G-Drive ones around me.

I just found a deal online that's has a Fantom Titanium II 500GB for $149. It doesn't have the firewire support, but everything else seems nice. Should I go for it?

G'day

You should try and stick out for Firewire. It has a higher sustained transfer rate than usb2, and is ideal for saving movies straight to disk. A Firewire 800 is faster (double) the FW 400 but usually more expensive, and harder to find.

As for using Carbon Copy Cloner vers. SuperDuper, CCC is Freeware and does an excellent job.

Regards

Santa
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santa View Post

G'day

You should try and stick out for Firewire. It has a higher sustained transfer rate than usb2, and is ideal for saving movies straight to disk. A Firewire 800 is faster (double) the FW 400 but usually more expensive, and harder to find.

As for using Carbon Copy Cloner vers. SuperDuper, CCC is Freeware and does an excellent job.

Regards

Santa

Thanks for the help.

I'm definitely considering the FireWire 400 and 800 too. I'm giving extra points for the ones with all 3 (USB2, FW400, and 800).

Since I'm looking for portable ext. hard drives too, I'm also giving higher points for the ones that have a 7200 RPM over 5400 RPM. For some reason, it's very hard to find small portable external hard drives that have a 7200 RPM in the United States. In East Asia it's actually harder to find anything slower than 7200 RPM nowadays.

I found a Western Digital model called Extreme Lighted http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...028183-4503153

Does that only run though the AC adaptor and never alone with the computer? It does say "Hot-Swappable – Connect and disconnect without powering off the computer. " but I don't know what "hot-swappable" means. Can it still be powered by the computer? or does it have to have the AC adaptor?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

thanks guys I'm getting all your advices.

I have three more questions

1. Many people around me use LaCie. How does it fare to...say....Seagate which some of you seem to approve.

2. I live in NYC. I can go to Tekserve and get one there, but can also order online for a lower price. Which way would you recommend?

3. Is formatting into a FAT32 easy?

1. I used to use a fair bit of Lacie like 2-3 years ago. It is good. But the problem is some of the Lacie backup stuff, it's hard to access and change the drives inside the units themselves. Plus you may only have 1-2 years warranty. The Seagate-within-an-enclosure gives you more flexibility and more peace of mind, if you have more warranty. Lacie and WesternDigital all-in-ones are convenient, but 3.5" drives in enclosures is something worthwhile, and easy to figure out.

2. Yeah try your local store, they might have some advice, easier to return/ service stuff, no wait for postage to and from the dealer/ manufacturer.

3. So easy you wouldn't believe it. Yeah, it's easy. 8)

4. You need a bit more research to find out the tricky bits of when and when not you need an external AC power adaptor. And whether you can live with it or not (carrying an AC adaptor around).
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyr3 View Post

It depends on what you want. As others have said, Seagate makes the most reliable drives (used to be IBM with their Deskstar series, until a rash of failures... see 'click of death').

Ah yes, rapidly became to be known as the "DEATHStar" series. Mmmm... the dreaded "click of death". Hitachi bought IBM drive business. I'd never touch a Hitachi disk drive again for quite some while. Western Dig, Maxtor, Seagate.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Thanks nvidia2008 you've been of much help.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

4. You need a bit more research to find out the tricky bits of when and when not you need an external AC power adaptor. And whether you can live with it or not (carrying an AC adaptor around).

so I guess the above model cannot operate without the AC adapter.

I had this slim external harddrive that died recently. The computer just can't recognize the drive. I think it's the enclosure that's the problem, and I'm trying to buy the enclosure to make it myself.

The hard drive itself says Samsung MP0804H/DOM (80GB/5400rpm/8M/PATA)

which encolsure should I be getting to fit this model?

Would these work?

http://tmg4apc.com/product_info.php?...products_id=51

http://www.shopxtreme.com/catalog/pr...a4f4f9804725fb

The drive was formatted as FAT32, and had some files in it. So It's not empty. When I build the enclosure around it, do I have to do something else other than just physically building it? Or can the enclosure work fine with the already formatted to FAT32 drive?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

Thanks nvidia2008 you've been of much help.

Thanks, I try and be useful, also I am interested in some of these areas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinix

so I guess the above model cannot operate without the AC adapter.

Yeah, it is confusing. I think if FW400 is used it can operate without the AC adapter, if using USB2.0 you may need the power adaptor (FW400 usually supplies more power than USB2.0) AFAIK. It is confusing for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinix

I had this slim external harddrive that died recently. The computer just can't recognize the drive. I think it's the enclosure that's the problem, and I'm trying to buy the enclosure to make it myself.

The hard drive itself says Samsung MP0804H/DOM (80GB/5400rpm/8M/PATA)

which encolsure should I be getting to fit this model?

Would these work?

http://tmg4apc.com/product_info.php?...products_id=51

http://www.shopxtreme.com/catalog/pr...a4f4f9804725fb

The drive was formatted as FAT32, and had some files in it. So It's not empty. When I build the enclosure around it, do I have to do something else other than just physically building it? Or can the enclosure work fine with the already formatted to FAT32 drive?

Hi, yes, if you have this Samsung 2.5" drive, try getting one of the simple USB2.0 enclosures above. Just take the drive out of the old enclosure, put in new enclosure. No need AC adapter in this case.

If the drive is still "alive" then when you connect to your Mac or PC it *should* recognize the FAT32 drive and see all the files there with no problems.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    OK, I have a question too. When my husband finishes the paint and drywall in the room where the computer lives I will be buying my first Mac ever! WooHoo! Anyway I figure he will be done close to the leopard release (I love him, but he's slow) so I will be getting an external hard drive for Time Machine. Will all of the above suggestions work, or will I need to look for something different? And I assume I need as much memory as the computer has?