Mix: Apple product shortages, iPhone receipt, store closing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Reports from overseas claim that several Mac and iPod products are becoming scarce ahead of potential refreshes. Meanwhile, iPhone references are cropping up on the receipts of Cingular store customers. And a high-traffic Apple store will be closing later this month for some remodeling.

Product shortages in the UK

Macworld UK is reporting that supplies of certain Apple products appear restricted overseas but will ship in quantity within weeks. The publication speculates that the pattern of drought may be indicative of significant product launches in the near term.

Some specific products affected by the backlog include "all models of Mac mini, the entry-level combo drive iMac, the mid-range MacBook Pro, entry-level and black MacBooks, all models of iPod nano, and the iPod HiFi."

Macworld UK expects that new product launches could arrive by month's end. However, it should be noted that supplies of Apple products in Europe have historically run dry in advance of those in the United States.

On a related note, AppleInsider has been told to look out for new product announcements during the first half of April.

iPhone listed on Cingular receipt

Over in Redmond, Wash., a Cingular customer who traded in his Sprint BlackBerry 8703e for a Cingular BlackBerry Pearl was startled to find a reference to Apple's unreleased iPhone device on his receipt.

"In plain view is the string 'iPhone for DEREK PUNSALAN' above the 2 yr. service agreement discount," he wrote in a blog posting. "Cingular, I didn?t order an iPhone, but are you hinting [with this glitch] at a $150 discount for 2 yr. service agreements already?"

A second recent Cingular convert claims to have noticed the same reference on his receipt after making the switch from T-Mobile in early anticipation of the iPhone.

A Cingular Wireless receipt printed at a Redmond, Wash. Cingular Store.

"I have the same thing at the bottom of my receipt," he wrote. "I told the sales rep my intentions in the store so I just thought that she annotated on the receipt that I was interested in getting an iPhone when it comes out for CRM purposes or something."

High volume Apple store closing for renovations

Meanwhile, a tipster notes that the Apple Store Fashion Valley in San Diego, Calif. will be closing for approximately three weeks in the middle of March for remodeling.

As the tipster notes, the store is often ranked among the top 10 Apple retail stores in sales volume. Therefore, it would seem unlikely that the Cupertino-based company would plan any hefty product launches around the same time.

According to the same tipster, the store will open in limited fashion after the three-week partial renovation, then close down once again six weeks later for a final round of renovations (which will also last three weeks).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    tasty
  • Reply 2 of 37
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    YES!! NEWS AT LAST!!

Very Tasty

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Excellent report! Thanks, guys!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I hope the iPhone don't come out early. My contract isn't up until July.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Salivation!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    coreywebcoreyweb Posts: 10member
    I doubt it means anything....they probably are just running short because people have bought them. I mean thats how things usually happen right?? But...new products are always nice. It'd be cool, but I have my doubts. Rumors will be rumors.....
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Boy, wonder why the iPod HiFi has a shortage...
  • Reply 8 of 37
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

Boy, wonder why the iPod HiFi has a shortage...

Supply and Demand...

No demand therefore no supply. :-)
  • Reply 9 of 37
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    i just checked apple uk and apple germany. mac minis and imacs are all ready for shipping withing 24 hours!!! that does not sound like a shortage to me.

apple insider, how about some fact checking??????
  • Reply 10 of 37
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    What no comment on the cingular receipt? If there is a $150 discount on the iPhone with a 2 year agreement iPhones will sell like hotcakes. There will be shortages.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What no comment on the cingular receipt? If there is a $150 discount on the iPhone with a 2 year agreement iPhones will sell like hotcakes. There will be shortages.

Most definitely. A 4GB iPhone would then be about $350 - quite affordable for perhaps too many people. Stampedes ensuing? Perhaps.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

i just checked apple uk and apple germany. mac minis and imacs are all ready for shipping withing 24 hours!!! that does not sound like a shortage to me.

apple insider, how about some fact checking??????

My guess is that 3rd party retailers will run out of stock before the Apple store does.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Yah, this is awesome news. 350 bucks! What a deal!!!!

That's saving you $6.25 a month, doesn't seem like much but it certainly adds up over 24 months. Kind of makes you realize how a little bit of money can add up over time.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Kind of makes you realize how a little bit of money can add up over time.

Yup. You've hit upon the secret of great finance, my friend!

• Reply 15 of 37
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    If Apple can bring out an iPod Hi-Fi 2.0 for under $200 I will be "sporting a tremendous woody".
  • Reply 16 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I don't understand why people are switching to Cingular now in anticipation of the iPhone. Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait for the iPhone to come out instead of having to buy a Cingular phone now and then the iPhone in a few months? A little info would be grand. Thanks.

PS: I see the forum software got an update.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    Quote:

On a related note, AppleInsider has been told to look out for new product announcements during the first half of April.

They probably mean NAB in April.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Finally, some news... as soon as the new Intel iMac appears, nothing will stop me from ordering one. I can't hold out much longer... Please give them 2,33Ghz as standard, and an updated GPU (X1900, anyone?).
  • Reply 19 of 37
    That doesn't say "iPhone"

It says "1Phone"

It's a reference to the Blackberry Pearl he just bought.

The "2 YR Agreement SAVINGS $150" means that he had to agree to 2 more years of service to buy the Pearl for $199.99. Otherwise, he would have paid $349.99.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derric1968 View Post

That doesn't say "iPhone"

It says "1Phone"

It's a reference to the Blackberry Pearl he just bought.

The "2 YR Agreement SAVINGS $150" means that he had to agree to 2 more years of service to buy the Pearl for $199.99. Otherwise, he would have paid $349.99.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

thats cleary an "i" you idiot