Special Xeon in Mac Pro, MBP battery woes, iPod takes a bullet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has called in a favor from Intel for the latest Mac Pro, drawing on a cutting-edge Xeon. Meanwhile, increasing numbers of 17-inch MacBook Pro owners have complained about swelling batteries, and an iPod has played a special role in saving a soldier's life.

3GHz quad-core Xeon an exception to the rule

Intel on Thursday solved the mystery behind the 3GHz, quad-core Xeon found in Apple's new eight-core Mac Pro.

The processor had triggered confusion for those keeping a close eye on Intel's workstation offerings, as it fell outside of Intel's often well-defined roadmap and was nowhere to be seen on the chipmaker's Xeon product site. Discussions with the company itself, however, quickly revealed that Apple had repeated the tactic behind its Apple TV device and requested a special chip to accommodate its special needs -- in this case, the Xeon 5365. The Mac Pro maker successfully preempted Intel's official plans by persuading it to release a one-off processor at the high clock speed.

"We are indeed shipping a 3.0GHz Xeon version," Bill Kircos from Intel said. "For now, the product is in limited production and Apple has chosen to adopt it. We will introduce another 3.0GHz Xeon SKU later on as well."

Intel's line officially ends with the quad-core Xeon 5355, which had been released as part of the 5300 series in November but has remained locked at a 2.66GHz maximum speed until today. The Mac Pro is so far the only known professional workstation to have the 5365 model, making it potentially the fastest of its kind until larger quantities of the chip leave Intel's factories.

17-inch MacBook Pro batteries fail en masse

A more pressing crisis this week was the steady rise in claims that the lithium polymer batteries in 17-inch MacBook Pros were failing. Owners and technicians in separate instances have posted photos showing the battery packs to have bulged outwards, deforming the aluminum shell and making them all but unusable.

"It had bulged out from the insides," one repairman said of a battery that arrived at his desk. "At first, i didn't realise that it was a battery, until i turned it over and pressed the power-indicator button. The battery seemed to still work!"

A swollen 17-inch MacBook Pro battery.

Apple has yet to comment on the issue. However, the issue immediately draws parallels between itself and the battery recall for 15-inch MacBook Pros last year due to a similar inflation problem.

AppleInsider readers who experience the problem are advised to contact Apple and stop using the battery immediately; while no more serious incidents have been reported, bloating is sometimes the precursor to a dangerous fire.

iPod saves a life

In more optimistic news, one iPod was found to be far more useful to its owner than as a simple music jukebox.

US infantryman Kevin Garrad can now claim that the Apple device saved his life while on patrol. A series of photos posted to Flickr this week provided evidence that the soldier's fourth-generation iPod absorbed the impact of a 7.62mm round fired from an Iraqi rebel's AK-47, letting the bullet through but softening the blow just enough to stop the bullet from completely piercing the Kevlar armor underneath.

iPod takes one for the team.

Thankfully, Garrad was completely unhurt by the shot. The iPod was less fortunate and was rendered unusable; surprisingly, however, many of its parts remained intact despite the fatal blow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is not good news about the batteries...
  • Reply 2 of 113
    mayosolomayosolo Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPod was less fortunate and was rendered unusable; surprisingly, however, many of its parts remained intact despite the fatal blow.

I think Apple owes that soldier a new iPod, if for no other reason than the publicity.
  • Reply 3 of 113
    almalm Posts: 111member
    HP and Apple won't be able to decide who actually should replace it.
  • Reply 4 of 113
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    17-inch batteries bulging "en masse?" Let's cross our fingers that 3 anecdotes or so don't multiply enough to justify that catchy soundbite
  • Reply 5 of 113
    almalm Posts: 111member
    I keep thinking about it, many say that Apple should give him new iPod. Strange logic. Actually that guy supposed to be thankful for such a good gadget and should run buy new iPod that save lifes.
  • Reply 6 of 113
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Well spotted, that's a HP iPod! This is probably the first time I've seen one.

Anyhow, the argument is that Apple could use this guy to get free publicity for the iPod. Beats paying for advertising.
  • Reply 7 of 113
    Hopefully Apple has this pregnant battery woe fixed asap, since I was just about to buy one, but am holding off until they do and now it will probably be when Leopard comes out that I'll buy it.

I guess it was'nt a good time to switch.
  • Reply 8 of 113
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Perhaps if the guy hadn't been listening to his iPod he'd have avoided getting shot in the first place...

I'm waiting till September/October to buy a laptop, I reckon we'll see some updates by then.
  • Reply 9 of 113
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

iPod saves a life

In more optimistic news, one iPod was found to be far more useful to its owner than as a simple music jukebox.

US infantryman Kevin Garrad can now claim that the Apple device saved his life while on patrol. A series of photos posted to Flickr this week provided evidence that the soldier's fourth-generation iPod absorbed the impact of a 7.62mm round fired from an Iraqi rebel's AK-47, letting the bullet through but softening the blow just enough to stop the bullet from completely piercing the Kevlar armor underneath.

iPod takes one for the team.

Thankfully, Garrad was completely unhurt by the shot. The iPod was less fortunate and was rendered unusable; surprisingly, however, many of its parts remained intact despite the fatal blow.

Should of had the iPod in one of these cases!!
  • Reply 10 of 113
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I'm generally not one to complain about the writing in the articles but this time I just couldn't hold back.

Quote:

A more pressing crisis this week was the steady rise in claims that the lithium-ion batteries in 17-inch MacBook Pros were failing. Owners and technicians in separate instances have posted photos showing the battery packs to have bulged outwards, deforming the aluminum shell and making them all but unusable.

I don't believe that the mysterious processor was a "pressing crisis". In fact, I don't think it was a crisis at all. If anything I would call it great news.

Then there is this: "...and making them all BUT unusable." I believe that they were, in fact, rendered unusable. Not all but unusable. It's just illogical. It may be an expression, but it's a stupid one and in no way does it say anything remotely true.

Ok, I'm done.
  • Reply 11 of 113
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    is the battery problem only for 17inch or 15in? and is that CD or C2D?

that's cool about the 3ghz xeon
  • Reply 12 of 113
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    hahahahahaha bullet proof cases.

that would have been funny if he had it because someone sent it as a joke and it actually saved his ipod

(btw, that bullet BARELY hit the corner of that iPod, What a luck dude)
  • Reply 13 of 113
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I figured that the Mac Pro chip had to be supplied by Intel like that. Xeons are multiplier locked, so it's not as if Apple can just overclock them on their own. I haven't seen a Xeon system where you can choose the multiplier, except for one from the Pentium 3 era, and even then, it wouldn't go higher than its max rated mulltiplier. With the newer chips, just drop the chip into the socket and it just works at the rated speed.
  • Reply 14 of 113
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    This exact same thing happened to me several months ago, on my 17" mbp 2.16Ghz CoreDuo. The tech at the apple store said he had never seen it before, and opened a new box and swapped my battery with the brand new one. Was very cool. =)

- Xidius
  • Reply 15 of 113
    ajaybotajaybot Posts: 64member
    Why oh why does that poor iPod have a HP engraved in the back of it! Its like an oxymoron!

Nah just playing, My girlfriend has an HP and its good as long as she doesn't go online with it (Thats what her Mac is for , no viruses if you don't go online ) I've never seen an iPod with anything but a custom message engraved on it. I hope HP sold them at a discount for advertising their brand!
  • Reply 16 of 113
    Now we know what was behind the octo-mac delay. Apple *did* have something up it's sleeve.
  • Reply 17 of 113
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Perhaps if the guy hadn't been listening to his iPod he'd have avoided getting shot in the first place...

ROFL... ...In other news, I need an iPod too for my GhostRecon: AdvancedWarfighter. Looks like it would make the game missions easier ...!!
  • Reply 18 of 113
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    ROFL that is so bullshit in the US. An iPod takes a bullet, it just SO HAPPENS that he was placing the iPod somewhere hidden in his body. And out of ALL THE PLACES the bullet could of shot through, it just HAD to be the iPOD... and just like a movie, it saves his life... hahaha such bull shit, you guys are a bunch of liars, probably just shot it in there himself. USA faggots
  • Reply 19 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

ROFL that is so bullshit in the US. An iPod takes a bullet, it just SO HAPPENS that he was placing the iPod somewhere hidden in his body. And out of ALL THE PLACES the bullet could of shot through, it just HAD to be the iPOD... and just like a movie, it saves his life... hahaha such bull shit, you guys are a bunch of liars, probably just shot it in there himself. USA faggots

Please, for the better good of the world, die in a fire.

Be a man, take one for the team.
  • Reply 20 of 113
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

....The Mac Pro is so far the only known professional workstation to have the 5365 model, making it potentially the fastest of its kind until larger quantities of the chip leave Intel's factories....

Could it be possible that Apple's Mac Pro 8 core is the fastest and most cost-effective x86/x86-64 -based workstation in the mainstream pro/prosumer market???

NAB April 15th announcement is going to rock. Mac Quad/Octo + FinalCutStudio 6 + ShakeRevised + Logic8(???unsure on this one) is going to DEMOLISH the lower-to-mid part of the AVID empire.

Woot

(posted twice because there's supposed to be 8 arms... if only four, why is he called Dr. "Octo"pus???