Best program to convert DVD's to AppleTV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now that I have AppleTV I plan to convert my most frequently watched DVD's to AppleTV. What is the best program to do this? I have heard some are good at converting to Video iPod but I'm not sure what kind of quality I will get on a big screen with AppleTV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    There are a few programs out there that you'll hear of: Handbrake (now called MediaFork); Streamclip, and VisualHub. They all have their supporters.

I tried Streamclip for all of 5 minutes, admittedly I was initially confused by the interface and said the hell with it and moved onto the next one (mediafork) but I've heard some good things about Streamclip. After using MF for several days, I then decided to try out VisualHub.

For me, in the end I decided to pony up the $24 for VisualHub. I like it's interface, I can just drag a VIDEO_TS folder to the interface, set it on "Go Nuts!" and click the "Start" button. In the end I have a great looking movie to watch (my wife didn't even realize we weren't watching the actual DVD last night when we watched "The Hunted"). Now you can get that quality from all of them, but I liked how much cleaner/easier VisualHub is.

Also, I ran into something I couldn't figure out how to do on MF: encode an AVI to h.264. My DVR locked up (f@#$ comcast) while recording Shark; well my wife and I *must* (please no comments on our taste ) see it before the next new episode, so I acquired a copy of it, unfortunately it was in a format that seemed MF couldn't deal with (at least I couldn't figure out how MF could deal with it). So I just dragged the file to VH, and voila; that episode of Shark was now available on my Apple TV!

Have fun and good luck with your decision. Hope I helped!

PS - I own a 56" HDILA JVC TV. Just so you know what I'm outputting my Apple TV on.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I don't get why people jump on the Visual Hub bandwagon. It is merely doing what FFMPEGX has done for years.

That being said, I like the flexibility of FFMPEGX. Drop your VIDEO_TS file on it and configure away. Heck, it will even recommend the best bit rate for your file, and you can change it if you'd like (the actual bit rate by the way, not the Average/Go Nuts slider seen in Visual Hub).

If you don't need all of that power, just drop your source file on the left side of the main pane, and select your destination format on the right.

MP4 and H.264 formats are two of multiple output options. I've tested both on AppleTV. You can't screw it up.

Encode away--with no restrictions--and send them $15 if you like.

• Reply 3 of 42
    whitewhite Posts: 4member
    MP4Converter DVD to Apple TV Converter (not free, but it?s worth trying), u can select Apple TV MPEG-4 High 480P (640*480) in Profiles. If your TV supports 720P, u?ll get better effect if selecting Apple TV h264 720P(1280*720).
  • Reply 4 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by white View Post

MP4Converter DVD to Apple TV Converter (not free, but it?s worth trying), u can select Apple TV MPEG-4 High 480P (640*480) in Profiles. If your TV supports 720P, u?ll get better effect if selecting Apple TV h264 720P(1280*720).

I've tried that one. It also support converting individual chapters which would be great for TV Shows and Music Videos.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Couple of questions:

1) How much does the re-encoding affect image quality?

2) Is there any way to get the menus and special features to play properly?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

Now that I have AppleTV I plan to convert my most frequently watched DVD's to AppleTV. What is the best program to do this? I have heard some are good at converting to Video iPod but I'm not sure what kind of quality I will get on a big screen with AppleTV.

Apple TV Video Converter was released today.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Also, I ran into something I couldn't figure out how to do on MF: encode an AVI to h.264. My DVR locked up (f@#$ comcast) while recording Shark; well my wife and I *must* (please no comments on our taste ) see it before the next new episode, so I acquired a copy of it, unfortunately it was in a format that seemed MF couldn't deal with (at least I couldn't figure out how MF could deal with it). So I just dragged the file to VH, and voila; that episode of Shark was now available on my Apple TV!

glad you got it sorted out... i tend to stay away from AVIs if i can help it but MPEGstreamclip would have delt with that prob as well and its free.

i use streamclip a LOT for editing out ad breaks in recorded programing from my DVR but i didnt know it could deal with DVDs..
  • Reply 8 of 42
    elmerxuelmerxu Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

glad you got it sorted out... i tend to stay away from AVIs if i can help it but MPEGstreamclip would have delt with that prob as well and its free.

i use streamclip a LOT for editing out ad breaks in recorded programing from my DVR but i didnt know it could deal with DVDs..

Spam sucks. It got me banned.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Downloaded the demo, and it did not install correctly. Showed up as a folder, with the app info inside.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Downloaded the demo, and it did not install correctly. Showed up as a folder, with the app info inside.

You are correct. As a test, I downloaded the demo and ran the installer. I tried to install it within a subfolder of my Applications folder. The only thing that is recognizable as belonging to the app is an alias created on the Desktop. I would urge those who are considering Apple TV Video Converter to stay away until the developers figure out what they are doing. This utility is not ready for prime time.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmerxu View Post

See this that spam doesn't pay for help...the windows converter works great for me.

why would i pay for different software? when the point of my post was that freeware does the same job?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmerxu View Post

See this spam doesn't pay DVD and Videos to Apple TV site(Mac/Windows)[/url] for help...the windows converter works great for me.

Dude , seriously... no one wants your spam on here... if you want to promote your app... buy some advertising.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Yuck. Spam
  • Reply 14 of 42
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I see that you have posted many times here so you are probably not spamming, but FYI, developers of that application frequently spams AppleInsider, so be careful recommending it.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The latest beta of Handbrake has an AppleTV setting built into it. Its free and worthwhile to check out. I don't have an AppleTV to confirm that it works, but the software has worked nicely to convert DVDs to iPod format for me.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I spam forums in my spare time. I deserve your greatest scorn.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    Spam sucks
  • Reply 18 of 42
    chistychisty Posts: 6member
    well, if I were you I would like to trust nobody but Apple :

here's the Apple's apple tv video converter http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...terformac.html
  • Reply 19 of 42
    zagmaczagmac Posts: 72member
    Hoping to find a charitable soul who has some specific experience.

I have used Handbrake for about 2 years, ever since adding iPod w/ Video to the mix. With introduction of AppleTV, I've run into a snag. I find that about 40% of the movies I rip to my iMac will not sync to iPod or AppleTV. THey appear in iTunes just fine, I can play them using it without any trouble. But they won't go into my devices. Worse, the iTunes settings make it appear as if they have, so I don't even receive an error message or indication there is a problem unless I look at the device. Sure is frustrating to build a library for a big trip, or to enjpy in the living room with friends, only to have it partially work.

I'm not listing the settings I use, only because I am away from machine and not technical enough to recall them. But I use an article from MacWorld to remind myself of the settings during each attempt, and am extremely confident I am using same settings on both my successful and unsuccessful attempts. I would think it were something with DVDs if not for fact that iTunes plays the files perfectly. Seems this is indication the ripped file is every bit as useable as any other.

Thanks in advance if someone tracks this down and has any ideas.

(No, my devices are not just out of memory!!)

• Reply 20 of 42
    cynthiacynthia Posts: 5member
    Lame attempt. Epic fail.