iPhone could turn technology world on its ear, study shows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Ummm... Can anyone tell me where I can pick up some of this midnight oil? I'm just about out of my current bottle of late-night lube.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Last time I sync'ed my Palm with my Mac, all my Asian contacts get garbled up because PalmOS doesn't support Unicode. Sync'ing contacts is a very basic functionality, and it didn't work.

I'm aware there are 3rd-party tools to remedy this problem, but I'd rather not go that route and make my digital life even more complicated. Too bad, because I really liked Palm before I ran into this problem.

Is it really so smart? Really?

I've never had that problem. My first Palm phone was the Samsung i300, then the Samsung i330, and now the Palm Treo 700p.

If your contacts were on your Mac, that's one thing. I assume you're saying they weren't on the Palm to begin with?

I've never had a problem syncing anything. I've got all sorts of programs and data on the phone. I also have hundreds of contacts, with mucho info on most. Never has anything been garbled.

Would I like to get an iPhone? You bet! My wife wants one now, though my daughter thinks it might be too big for her.

But, I'll wait for 3G, and see what other apps become available. A book reader is a must, for one. So is my scientific calculator, my conversion programs, etc.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the way Cingular works I'm expecting hugh constraints at Cingular stores/resellers.

The Apple Store will be the best way to get ahold of an iPhone.

Remember, the phone is priced with contract so I don't think you can do an internet pre-order for the iPhone unless there is a way to signup online for the contract.

I think that Apple, at least is allowing internet signup.

Of course, that ruins their whole excuse for not allowing sales through phone stores, that is, the need to have trained help when someone comes in to buy the thing.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why is that so, if an existing PDA can do the job? There's a significant size and cost difference that way.

No matter what they say, PDA's don't replace laptops when substantial inputting is required. I even bought one of those folding keyboards, but it simply isn't worth it. anything more than the occasional two sentences is a real pain.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

First off, i want to say this, since it hasn't been said yet. that it amazes me how many people post something that's already been said 5 posts earlier.

Not gonna happen. I don't want to use my iPhone when I go running. I didn't get an iPod until the Mini came out because I wanted something small enough to strap to my arm.

MostI would have agreed with, but the 'everyone' qualifier is too absolute.

What's the matter with you? Can't you run and dial at the same time?
  • Reply 46 of 67
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:

First off, i want to say this, since it hasn't been said yet. that it amazes me how many people post something that's already been said 5 posts earlier.

Not gonna happen. I don't want to use my iPhone when I go running. I didn't get an iPod until the Mini came out because I wanted something small enough to strap to my arm.

I agree that everyone is too obsolute.

However don't assume everyone who buys an iPhone will use the phone feature. Most will use extra video and internet features. Now when the iPod are upgraded to include these features, than iPhone sales might slow down. But I think Apple is smart enough put all the extra features in the iPhone, thereby forcing many to buy one and then eventually use it as a phone.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

I think the "iPod" as we know it today will eventually be replaced by the iPhone.

The iPod nano and shuffle will still be around for ultra portable and cheap needs.

The standard iPod will perhaps change into an "iPod HiFi" or "iPod tablet" or something like that, with a larger screen size, larger capacity and iPhone OSX with more apps.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Why do people put their signature/initials at the end of posts when your name is off to the left of the post?

Habit.

CV
  • Reply 49 of 67
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple NEVER said that third party apps WOULDN'T be on the phone, just that they would have to go through Apple.

I'm sorry but could you please quote your reference?
  • Reply 50 of 67
    I think the iPhone will do that much more of what the iPod currently does, create a gigantic halo effect

I haven't decided if I will buy one when they come out or wait.

Sad thing is, Cingular customers do not get a price cut even they are currently under contact
  • Reply 51 of 67
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Sorry Apple, you won't be making a PENNY from me until you allow 3rd-party applications on the iPhone.

We will see 3rd party applications for the iPhone, but only after Leopard is available for sale to the general public. My reason for saying this is because I believe Apple has stripped out "legacy" code from the version of OS X that will come on the iPhone which means developers will have to use Leopard specific APIs for iPhone applications.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Imagine when Apple sells multiple iPhone models, some smaller and cheaper. Think how well THOSE will sell.

Apple's not crazy--they won't ask you to leave the suite of Treo apps you already rely on. They'll sell to customers like me who don't need those particular apps.

The whole idea that there will not be third party apps is jumping the gun. Respondents who keep dissing Apple for not making this their ideal phone should note that not all the world uses Blackberries, that most phones are not Blackberries and that there are hundreds of phone types that do very little, except.. well, act as a phone. The fact that Apple has provided the world with so many useful and workable tools should speak for itself. The iPhone, will become an extraordinary device and if Apple has chosen to limit 3rd party apps for now, that is fine. First the phone needs to work without being crashed or hacked and thus becoming a nightmare for Apple and ATT right out of the gate.

I think the complainers need to give Apple a break here-- and see what the iPhone will actually do when it is released and how it evolves over the followng months. One just keeps being reminded of how "useless" the iPod was supposed to be. And how Apple was going out of business and couldn't make a decent computer and they charged too much---- the list goes on.

Let's see-- 10 billion in cash reserves and counting... I think Apple just might know how to make successful products that actually cater to the customers' needs.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

It's in several articles. I have so much about the iPhone bookmarked it hard to find everything easily, and Forbes has screwed up my bookmarks from them by redesigning their site.

But I have a quote from Jobs from one article, which I'll also link you to, though you have to read through it to get to this quote. Other articles have a further quote from Jobs about this, but I don't have time right now to look for them.

If you read this, you will see that he is mentioning the possibility of third party software. Some other quotes are even more explicit. He says that there will be third party software, but it will have to be checked by Apple first.

But, here's what I found right now.

Quote:

“That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”

The link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/12/te...erland&emc=rss
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

It's in several articles. I have so much about the iPhone bookmarked it hard to find everything easily, and Forbes has screwed up my bookmarks from them by redesigning their site.

But I have a quote from Jobs from one article, which I'll also link you to, though you have to read through it to get to this quote. Other articles have a further quote from Jobs about this, but I don't have time right now to look for them.

If you read this, you will see that he is mentioning the possibility of third party software. Some other quotes are even more explicit. He says that there will be third party software, but it will have to be checked by Apple first.

But, here's what I found right now.

The link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/12/te...erland&emc=rss

Okay that works, thanks
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

Apple NEVER said that third party apps WOULDN'T be on the phone, just that they would have to go through Apple.

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the Apple apps and features that are going to be on the iPhone, when it is officially launched.

Especially, the image sensing display, that allows true eye-2-eye video phone capability.

Just wait for it.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

We will see 3rd party applications for the iPhone, but only after Leopard is available for sale to the general public. My reason for saying this is because I believe Apple has stripped out "legacy" code from the version of OS X that will come on the iPhone which means developers will have to use Leopard specific APIs for iPhone applications.

There is no "legacy" code in OS X, at least since the Intel transition eliminated the Classic environment. Also OS X is not one big block of code. It is a smallish kernel of about 8MB in size, and tens of thousands of supporting files and tools to do a myriad of other things.

Putting OS X on the iPhone is mostly about porting the kernel and choosing/porting the other OS portions and tools that are needed. The device then needed all the "new" phone/device functionality created to sit on top of that.

Nothing "legacy removal related" there. Just tailoring the install to the desired device, which will leave off things that aren't needed. That doesn't make those left off things legacy in any way.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by touring View Post

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the Apple apps and features that are going to be on the iPhone, when it is officially launched.

Especially, the image sensing display, that allows true eye-2-eye video phone capability.

Just wait for it.

You and me brother.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

They really haven't released many details yet. I think it was an NYT or Newsweek article where Steve said that it will likely be a system where Apple has final say on what apps are allowed on the phone, but that there will likely be third party apps. No more specifics were given.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They really haven't released many details yet. I think it was an NYT or Newsweek article where Steve said that it will likely be a system where Apple has final say on what apps are allowed on the phone, but that there will likely be third party apps. No more specifics were given.

I would absolutely love it if Delicious Library was one of those apps I have no doubt in my mind that they will be.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

I agree that everyone is too obsolute.

However don't assume everyone who buys an iPhone will use the phone feature. Most will use extra video and internet features. Now when the iPod are upgraded to include these features, than iPhone sales might slow down. But I think Apple is smart enough put all the extra features in the iPhone, thereby forcing many to buy one and then eventually use it as a phone.

I'm gonna chalk that up to 420 because if you honestly believe that anyone would buy a 500 dollar phone, monthly contract and data plan for what would essentially be a psp you have smoked more than your fair share.