Apple earns $770M profit on sales of $5.26B

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Santa rosa. That or elimination in favor of something more media oriented and a bit larger to complement aTV (cube like size with a couple bays for drives using ZFS, santa rosa ig, 802.11n, Core Duo). Something like that might also be able to pull double duty to replace the eMac for edu desktops if there is pushback. Price would go up again tho'.

Vinea

Interesting... ...I think the Mac Mini is on the way out. It's in between the AppleTV and iMac now. Teh all new teh sexay redesigned iMacs will obliterate the Mac Mini. And no, there will be no headless mini tower, IMHO.

Low end iMac will be the "eMac" for Edu. That and MacBooks. Just some thoughts for now. I selling Apple now.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's a lot of writing to say so very little.

Out of all of this, the only thing I might grant you is the DRM-free songs. But that was unexpected even to Apple. According to EMI, and I have no reason to doubt it.

The only one here who is being hysterical is you. I doubt that developers would get hysterical over my remarks, whether they agree, or disagree.

Everyone who produces large machines has 8 core machines. Apple does have the 150 watt special bin 3 GHz chips a bit before the "real" 3 GHz chips come out at a lower power rating, but as with most of the products you mentioned, they are an incremental upgrade, not the new products Apple keeps talking about.

And by the way, it's not called "anti-Mac" It's called "anti-Apple", the Mac is a product, Apple is the company. Please get that straight.

And, we are certainly not anti-Apple here. We are just being interested in what is going on in regards to what Apple says, and what they do.

I suggest you calm down, you're turning purple.

Heh. Melgross. Always fighting the good fight.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    w00t AAPL hit past $100 !!11 ... All time high at this stage of $102.50. Check out teh volume traded this morning (US Eastern)........
  • Reply 84 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Heh. Melgross. Always fighting the good fight.

A bunch of us seem to have taken this one on.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:

w00t AAPL hit past $100 !!11 ... All time high at this stage of $102.50. Check out teh volume traded this morning (US Eastern)........

That's ok, as of right now it's $100 exactly. It's varying around that number by about 50 cents.

The number of shares traded so far is about 37 million.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Really? I think you are deliberately trying to be ignorant of competing products. Several other companies have offered 8-core workstations based on the very same type/series of chips that Apple uses in their Mac Pro, Apple only got a slightly special variant on the CPU, that's all.

My omission. I was referring to the 3GHz.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/....special.xeon/

Otherwise, everything else stands.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

My omission. I was referring to the 3GHz.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/....special.xeon/

Otherwise, everything else stands.

I don't know if you noticed, but I did mention that detail twice. If you said they had the first 3GHz 8-way available, then I would have agreed.

The PR bits I saw seemed to suggest that the other makers were offered a shot at the chip too, but the other makers declined.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Interesting... ...I think the Mac Mini is on the way out. It's in between the AppleTV and iMac now. Teh all new teh sexay redesigned iMacs will obliterate the Mac Mini. And no, there will be no headless mini tower, IMHO.

Low end iMac will be the "eMac" for Edu. That and MacBooks. Just some thoughts for now. I selling Apple now.

What do you think Apple will use for a NAS? Depend on the USB port on the Airport Extreme? I dunno that they would offer a NAS or just update the Mini to have a little more storage...could go either way or both I suppose.

I thought that some in the edu market didn't like the LCD AIO because they were too easy to damage. Not that it matters...everyone who can is going notebook anyway.

Vinea
  • Reply 89 of 100
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

There won't be a mini-T... until there is. That's how Apple works. And I don't think the Mac Mini is going away any time soon, as it makes things easy for Windows switchers, who are now a very significant chunk of Apple's market.

• Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:

What do you think Apple will use for a NAS? Depend on the USB port on the Airport Extreme? I dunno that they would offer a NAS or just update the Mini to have a little more storage...could go either way or both I suppose.

I thought that some in the edu market didn't like the LCD AIO because they were too easy to damage. Not that it matters...everyone who can is going notebook anyway.

Vinea

They're used to LCD's in schools now. They didn't turn out to be as much of a problem as they thought they would be.

But laptops are the way most schools are going nowadays.

Here in NYC, the schools are being given portable labs on a cart. The entire lab is trucked around the school to where it is needed. The networking is wireless. You really have to show need to be able to get desktops, or get outside funding.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You've misunderstood what we're actually talking about here.

This all started when some newbie picked up on the "amazing new products" quote from the conference call, and thought that it was a significant comment.

However, it is not a significant comment, as Apple say it all the time.

Hi, Newbie here.

Once again, I need to tell you; Apple does not say they have NEW products coming all the time. Apple says they are proud of their pipeline but in all those quotes posted above, they never used the word NEW.

Are you trying to dispute that Apple has a NEW product coming? That would be foolish.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tradervic21 View Post

Are you trying to dispute that Apple has a NEW product coming? That would be foolish.

It depends what you mean by "new". Yes, I think there's a widescreen multi-touch video iPod coming, but I wouldn't class that as "new"; it is an upgrade (albeit more significant than normal) to an existing product.

I am not expecting to see any new product catagories (a la AppleTV or iPhone) from Apple anytime soon (at least 2 years).
  • Reply 93 of 100
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

They're used to LCD's in schools now. They didn't turn out to be as much of a problem as they thought they would be.

Here in NYC, the schools are being given portable labs on a cart. The entire lab is trucked around the school to where it is needed. The networking is wireless. You really have to show need to be able to get desktops, or get outside funding.

Ah, thanks.

Vinea
  • Reply 94 of 100
    Quote:

Vinea

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, thanks.

Vinea

...Yeah it's hard to justify a separate "computer lab" room with Ethernet these days... Just give the kids a whole bunch of MacBooks (for private schools K-12), or loan them on the ol' trolley thingy. And yeah, just wireless the whole school... ... Desktops would be MacPros in specific labs for video/photo/design more advanced classes for Years/Grades 10,11,12. hhhMmmm.....
  • Reply 95 of 100
    Quote:

...Yeah it's hard to justify a separate "computer lab" room with Ethernet these days... Just give the kids a whole bunch of MacBooks (for private schools K-12), or loan them on the ol' trolley thingy. And yeah, just wireless the whole school... ... Desktops would be MacPros in specific labs for video/photo/design more advanced classes for Years/Grades 10,11,12. hhhMmmm.....

We do have Gigabit Ethernet in a few areas such as the graphics lab, and the technical theater lab, where they have large 3D files the students are working on. Other than for that, no.
  • Reply 96 of 100
    Quote:

We do have Gigabit Ethernet in a few areas such as the graphics lab, and the technical theater lab, where they have large 3D files the students are working on. Other than for that, no.

Yeah one of the IT teachers at a local international (that is, American/ British/ "private" curicculum instead of local Asian country) K-12 school... spoke to him today, he's thinking of RAM upgrades for both the MacBooks as well as some (don't know how many) PowerMac G5 dualies he has.

I'm curious as to what they run off the PowerMac G5s, but anyways I'm covering different areas in my part-time Mac reseller job thingy now. Yes. OMFG. Survived 7 weeks now. OMFG
  • Reply 97 of 100
    Quote:

Yeah one of the IT teachers at a local international (that is, American/ British/ "private" curicculum instead of local Asian country) K-12 school... spoke to him today, he's thinking of RAM upgrades for both the MacBooks as well as some (don't know how many) PowerMac G5 dualies he has.

I'm curious as to what they run off the PowerMac G5s, but anyways I'm covering different areas in my part-time Mac reseller job thingy now. Yes. OMFG. Survived 7 weeks now. OMFG

Where are you hanging out here? You certainly aren't posting much to the news stories anymore.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    Quote:

Where are you hanging out here? You certainly aren't posting much to the news stories anymore.

Yeah... people with *real jobs* don't waste time talking bollocks on AI Forums.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Heh. ...Seriously though, been more busy now. If the job goes belly-up on me I'd very likely be back here more often. We'll see.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    Quote:

Heh. ...Seriously though, been more busy now. If the job goes belly-up on me I'd very likely be back here more often. We'll see.

Well, in that case, go away! The less we see of you, the more you will be working.