Apple's third Manhattan flagship to open in Meatpacking district by year's end

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Just came back from a visit to the Apple store next to FAO Schwarz in Manhattan with my family.

My 9-year old son left in tears.

An entire huge store full of stuff, and there were no software games for him to spend his birthday money on.

He already has Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon, and loves them both.

After that, the selection goes WAY down hill for a nine year old. Apple - wake up - this kid is your future and he left your flagship store begging me for a Windows machine.

Which really ticked me off because I got the Mac for my wife and kids, and now none of them wants to use it. If you aren't producing multimedia, it's just not compelling.

So while the new store may offer plenty of room for new apple gadgets, you won't find this family visiting. I don't need to see my son crying again. We'll just save the money for a Windows machine next time.

It's about the software. Always has been. If Apple wants Mac to grow, gotta have more software for the kids aka future market. Maybe they are content with the current niche, and that's fine. I just feel like a sucker for falling for it despite all my misgivings.

Jeff
  • Reply 62 of 72
    ^^^^^

Try Kid Pix Deluxe 3 (Broderbund/Mackiev) for about $12 from Amazon. (Don't get Kid Pix Deluxe 4 by Encore, stick with the Broderbund version)

There's also a pretty good Dora game called "Dora the Explorer Animal Adventures" ($20)

Ambrosia Software has fun games: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/

Other than that, the kid can download games like Snood, Line Rider, etc.

Nick.com has over 300 free games.

Or else go next door to FAO and get a Wii.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Here are some nice pics of the construction:
  • Reply 64 of 72
    mpdedmpded Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can't kick out a business with a valid lease, even if you are a new owner. You can buy them out.

But most likely, the restaurant wasn't doing as well as you thought it was.

Half of all new restaurants go out of business in the first year. They are almost always under capitalized. And some spots simply aren't good for restaurants.

FYI, the business MARKT was very profitable in this space. In fact they had been there for 5 years. Their lease did not protect them if the buiding changed ownership. After Taconic Investment Parnters and Related bought the buiding they ended the relationship with Markt. Markt then moved to 6th Avenue and they are currently there, doing business.

It made more sense for a major retailer to take all three floors, instead of having many smaller businesses with leases and a restaurant downstairs. THe MPD is home to 1500 small businesses that are in the creative industries, employing many thousands of people who use MACs. In addition, the changes in the area, with the high line coming and many other entities (like the Whitney Museum) make this a great location for an Apple Store.

Like the store in SOHO and the one on Central Park, this store will be a destination.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpded View Post

FYI, the business MARKT was very profitable in this space. In fact they had been there for 5 years. Their lease did not protect them if the buiding changed ownership. After Taconic Investment Parnters and Related bought the buiding they ended the relationship with Markt. Markt then moved to 6th Avenue and they are currently there, doing business.

It made more sense for a major retailer to take all three floors, instead of having many smaller businesses with leases and a restaurant downstairs. THe MPD is home to 1500 small businesses that are in the creative industries, employing many thousands of people who use MACs. In addition, the changes in the area, with the high line coming and many other entities (like the Whitney Museum) make this a great location for an Apple Store.

Like the store in SOHO and the one on Central Park, this store will be a destination.

A sale of property cannot be an excuse to kick a business out of a valid lease. An end to the lease can be negotiated. If a lease will end in just a few years after the building is taken over, the business may decide to negotiate, and leave, while they have time to find another location, at their leisure.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Chelsea Now

More projects, lots more people are still to come

The new Meat Market still has plenty of room to grow, and the foot traffic isn’t even 50 percent of what it will be in a few years, according to David Rabin, president of the Meatpacking District Initiative.

Three projects linked by the old High Line, the High Line Park, the Whitney Museum and Andre Balazs’s The Standard hotel, are also coming to the neighborhood soon — the hotel slated for completion later this year, the High Line’s southern section scheduled to open in fall of 2008 and the Whitney in about four years.

“Everything” includes the new Apple store in the building formerly home to Markt Belgian bistro at the corner of Ninth Ave. and 14th St. Apple is taking the majority of the three-story building, Rabin said. He said he’s heard that the store will be open 24 hours, which would mesh perfectly with the area’s new identity as one of the city’s primary nightlife districts.

“The sooner the better,” Rabin said of the Apple store’s opening, slated for the fall.

Even “the people who complain” about the Meat Market’s new character will enjoy the Apple store, he predicted.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Besides, Apples are better for you than meat.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Chelsea Now

More projects, lots more people are still to come

The new Meat Market still has plenty of room to grow, and the foot traffic isn?t even 50 percent of what it will be in a few years, according to David Rabin, president of the Meatpacking District Initiative.

Is it Meatpacking, Meat Market, both or are these separate ares? I've never read it being called Meat Market.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Developers routinely change the names of neighborhoods in NYC to make the area more marketable. Especially when the neighborhood is being gentrified so that it looses the low class association it had with its old name. Or associate a newly gentrified neighborhood to a nearby wealthy neighborhood.

Calling it the new Meat Market could reference the girls with low cut blouses, short skirts, and heels that now frequent the former slaughter houses.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it Meatpacking, Meat Market, both or are these separate ares? I've never read it being called Meat Market.

Meatpacking.

The meat market is what they call part of my former profession.
  • Reply 71 of 72

Are construction workers slaving night and day to get the Meatpacking District Apple Store ready for its end-of-year debut? It certainly looks that way. The pressure is on, as they have a ways to go and Jobs must want this place to open in time for the holiday shopping season.

A reliable source writes to let us know that there's no way in hell that the Apple Store will be open by the end of December. One can always hope, though.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Are construction workers slaving night and day to get the Meatpacking District Apple Store ready for its end-of-year debut? It certainly looks that way. The pressure is on, as they have a ways to go and Jobs must want this place to open in time for the holiday shopping season.

A reliable source writes to let us know that there's no way in hell that the Apple Store will be open by the end of December. One can always hope, though.

Holiday season? Probably not. But it could open in time for Macworld and all of the new toys Apple surely will be delivering.