Apple launches iTunes Plus alongside iTunes 7.2 release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM View Post

Strange, I could find only two. And those are new ones.

Ah, you have to turn on iTunes Plus to see it. And I can't because it seems like everyone upgrading their libraries.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    I upgraded this morning without a problem and everything seems to be in working order. I upgraded the few EMI tracks I had painlessly, but I have yet to find where I can set in the preferences to show the DRM-free version instead of the DRM version if its available. There is no change in my Store preferences? Strange ... actually, the most exciting news for me was iTunes U. I just recently graduated and having free courses online is fantastic, especially if you're looking to increase your knowledge on a subject. (I downloaded the MIT Linear Algebra Course already...). Very exciting ... this could make HUGE waves in academia if used properly...
  • Reply 23 of 67
    richyfprichyfp Posts: 19member
    The UK store is still not back to normal. The "Complete My Album" link on the left keeps on appearing and then disappearing and the iTunes plus page varies between having the "Upgrade My Library" section and not having it.

When you can get through to Upgrade My Library, it occasionally prompts for an account password, but always fails saying that the "availability of the items has changed" or some such message...
  • Reply 24 of 67
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    iTunes U and Plus both working in the UK now.

Also iPod games have been added to the main menu.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    richyfprichyfp Posts: 19member
    @SpinDrift

Have you managed to upgrade any songs you'd bought previously? When I click Buy on the Upgrade My Library page, I'm still getting a message saying "The item you tried to buy is no longer available." with "The availability of the item changed while you were using the store..." written underneath.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well I don't think I would call this sweet. Apple has been looking for a way to charge more than 0.99 cents for iTunes songs and now they have found it. This is a joke, instead of reducing the price of music which is what everyone has been asking for, they increase the price, typical.

Who was asking for a price reduction again? Already, it's a massive price reduction where you can (usually) buy just the tracks you want rather than having to buy the entire album as you had to before.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Do you think the iPhone will allow these new tunes to be used as ring tones?

If it does, Apple and AT&T are leaving a lot of money on table.

My guess: No.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    My update of EMI to 256Kbit versions (90 tracks) has stopped at 29. iTunes has downloaded 61 tracks and is now telling me internet connection is down, but of course it isn't. I am able to post this. Whats going on.

PS from the Australian iTMS

EDIT: Unknown Error 504
  • Reply 29 of 67
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

My update of EMI to 256Kbit versions (90 tracks) has stopped at 29. iTunes has downloaded 61 tracks and is now telling me internet connection is down, but of course it isn't. I am able to post this. Whats going on.

Could be the server timed out from excessive load ... kinda like my Wii ... I can almost never access Wii Shop because everyone and their mother is on it downloading vitual console games, but I can go anywhere else on the internet ... keep trying, eventually you'll get through!
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Damn.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

We don't know any details yet. I recall that Jobs was calling phone companies greedy for wanting to price their music at $3, and he seems to have a fair amount of control here. I'd laugh if he goes back on it and decides to allow charging $2 more for the favor of having it be the ring tone.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

I'm in the US and can't get anything. Apparently the Store is being clobbered.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    So I thought I would be able to upgrade an individual song. Turns out I can only upgrade them all or none??? This seems like a pretty poor implementation.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:

The server is being hammered here in Canada, I suspect everywhere else too. I had to retry a few songs, but the finally downloaded and upgraded. Actually a pretty painless process, it's just having to deal with a huge load I suspect.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

Where? I cannot find where to upgrade my existing music

On the main page, click on Music on the left side.

Then on the music page, click on iTunes Plus on the right side.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    jkmosesjkmoses Posts: 1member
    Did anyone notice in the release notes that this version of iTunes is compatible with Windows Vista FINALLY? It's about time!
  • Reply 37 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

So I thought I would be able to upgrade an individual song. Turns out I can only upgrade them all or none??? This seems like a pretty poor implementation.

There is supposed to be a way. I think that your EMI songs will have some kind of symbol, or notation that it is an EMI song. Supposedly, if you click, or double click it, you will get an option to "upgrade" it.

That's from memory, as I don't use iTunes yet, though now I will. My wife does, and I just updated her machine. I seem to remember reading something about it.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

I'm in the US and can't get anything. Apparently the Store is being clobbered.

Same here. Tried to upgrade a couple of tracks on iTunes Plus using iTunes 7.2, get nothing but error messages.

Nice to know its popular, but its kinda sucky that Apple didn't anticipate this and have sufficient servers/bandwidth to deal with it. C'mon guys, execution counts.

• Reply 39 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I think you can upgrade individual songs, by clicking on the 'plus' sign next to the individual song upgrade price (in the US, '$0.30').

However, its difficult to tell, because whenever I do so, I get a 'the iTunes Store could not complete your request, try again later' message. It could be that the servers are overloaded, it could be that its not an option... probably the former.

• Reply 40 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think you can upgrade individual songs, by clicking on the 'plus' sign next to the individual song upgrade price (in the US, '$0.30').

However, its difficult to tell, because whenever I do so, I get a 'the iTunes Store could not complete your request, try again later' message. It could be that the servers are overloaded, it could be that its not an option... probably the former.

What you're saying conforms to what I remember, so I'm sure you're right about it being able to do that.

I can't believe Apple would require one to upgrade all of them at once.