Apple seen unloading new MacBook Pros and (possibly) iMacs at WWDC

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rem7 View Post

So, is Leopard not shipping at the WWDC?

If you check the apple's website on the black WWDC banner it says they are going to release a beta. Also I herd from 'someone' that leopard still needs some work...

I dunno this is just what i heard....

Both are true... they're releasing a beta to the attendees however it's just a beta and still requires work, as it will not be a final version... They won't be shipping the finished version to the public for a few months...
  • Reply 102 of 106
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rem7 View Post

So, is Leopard not shipping at the WWDC?

If you check the apple's website on the black WWDC banner it says they are going to release a beta. Also I herd from 'someone' that leopard still needs some work...

I dunno this is just what i heard....

Well, thew news release has since been pushed off the news page on Apple.com, and isn't showing up in the archives... Basically since the iPhone is going to be running OS X, they had to steal most of the development team for OS X to work on the iPhone's software, which majorly slowed work on Leopard. Because of this, Leopard's release has been pushed back to October, so they can go back and refine various things, partly based on feedback from the developers getting the beta version at WWDC. So hopefully this will actually make things even smoother when it's released, since they'll have this extra feedback.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It makes no difference what the price is, the risk is the same. What matters is that the stock is priced properly. That depends on how many shares are outstanding.

Over the short term, the price matters a little, because a split increases liquidity in both the common and options.

(I wonder when Berkshire-Hathaway will come out with a 'C' class share? )

Also, I have no problem with people who think that a split matters, or that a $5 stock is a better bet because it's "cheap" or a $120 stock is "expensive". It's having those people in the market that gives me buying opportunities
  • Reply 104 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tchwojko View Post

Over the short term, the price matters a little, because a split increases liquidity in both the common and options.

(I wonder when Berkshire-Hathaway will come out with a 'C' class share? )

Also, I have no problem with people who think that a split matters, or that a $5 stock is a better bet because it's "cheap" or a $120 stock is "expensive". It's having those people in the market that gives me buying opportunities

Just don't buy or sell on those thoughts.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Thanks for uploading this, it gave me something to read on my lunch break.

DVD Software

http://www.hotdvdtools.com
  • Reply 106 of 106
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're right. It's all about psychology. It's intended for the small investor. It "seems" better to be buying 100 shares at $50 than 50 shares at $100.

But, it isn't.

And depending on the fee structure, it might be cheaper to buy, and sell, 50 shares at a higher price, than 100 shares at a lower one.

Companies usually like to keep their common stock attractive to individual investors. Since most stock transactions involve 100 share blocks, the $100 per share price is the crossover between a four-figure and five-figure transaction. That makes no difference to an institutional investor but it's a psychological barrier for many individual investors. That's why companies often split their shares when they go over $100 per share -- to keep 100 share transactions under that $10,000 threshold.