Predictions!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

mac pros with the new exon chip set with more pci-e lanes and ddr2 ecc ram.

I don't think that there's a dual-independent-bus chipset that can do ddr2 ecc ram. I mean, you'd have to go to NUMA or something, right?

(Technically, FB-DIMMS are both DDR2 and ECC, but I think we all know what you mean).
  • Reply 22 of 78
    1) Leopard secret features and release date revealed.

2) New cinema displays HDCP compliant isight built in

3) Either

- new iMacs announced with availability from end of june

OR

- small incremental iMac update to santa rosa using current design, not part of the keynote

4) Small incremental update to mac pro

- 2.66ghz base model

- 2GB Ram standard

- Bigger HDD as standard

- New GPU options, my guess being something along the lines of a new 256mb as the baseline (either nvidia 8500/8600 or ATI 2400, then either nvidia 8800 GTX 640mb or ATI 2900, then nvidia quatro 5600 as top line)

- POSSIBLY Bluetooth and airport extreme as standard

- POSSIBLY the option of a blu ray drive, although i think that will come with the next major update

Would like them to introduce a new headless mac but i very very very much doubt they will
  • Reply 23 of 78
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ireland, you have been selected to infiltrate the Apple organization, to surreptitiously plant tiny webcams in security-sensitive areas of the building and report back to us. Good luck, and godspeed. We have your back.

But he's from Ireland... he's go no chance!

• Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Never.

Okay, I'll admit the new iMac doesn't "have to" wait for Leopard. I should have just said I think Jobs will wait.

Let's suppose that the new iMac was originally designed to showcase Leopard, as seems likely. My thinking is that, while of course Apple could have delayed the OS and still gone ahead with the new iMac, a decision was made early this year to delay both.

Note that October is the worst-case scenario for Leopard -- it could come as early as August (two months after the first "feature-complete" build for developers), though September seems more realistic.

The whole new OS + new hardware gestalt goes back to the original Macintosh release in January 1984. It's Jobs' oldest trick. I think it's possible that the new iMac is, somehow, like the original Mac. If we're right about the Finder, then the long transition to Mac OS 10 is finally complete in 10.5. The moment will be celebrated with a new iMac and, yes, a new notebook and/or laptop design. There will be hoopla, but it all depends on Leopard being ready and shipping with the machines. Otherwise, it's just another hardware release...
  • Reply 25 of 78
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I predict a Apple/Sun merger.

Schwartz and Jobs will be co-iCeo's

Interesting idea. However, I think that it would be more likely that Apple buys Sun outright.

Thus giving Apple the IP and the enterprise clout.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    keenspoonkeenspoon Posts: 24member
    Quote:

But they could never appear together in public. Not enough room in any space for their combined egos.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I can tell you're new. There is absolutely no chance of a mac pro redesign. NONE.

I know a Mac Pro redesign is a longshot, but I think it's more likely than a new iMac being unveiled on Monday (see my earlier reply to Ireland).

There wouldn't be any change in the processors at the top end (where people are paying big bucks for the new 8-core configuration now). But I don't think it's terribly far-fetched to argue that the case design could stand to be transformed, with a new interior layout that makes certain things, like adding a wireless card, easier than they are now.

Anyhow, I wouldn't mind being wrong about the iMac, and I couldn't care less about a new Mac Pro design -- I just upgraded to a Mac Pro last month after looking at what is known about the Intel road map and seeing that any major changes to their architecture are at least a year away, probably longer. I love the cheese-grater case design, so I sold my G5 and went ahead with it.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I predict whining and gnashing of teeth.

Maybe even me.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

1) Leopard secret features and release date revealed.

2) New cinema displays HDCP compliant isight built in

3) Either

- new iMacs announced with availability from end of june

OR

- small incremental iMac update to santa rosa using current design, not part of the keynote

4) Small incremental update to mac pro

- 2.66ghz base model

- 2GB Ram standard

- Bigger HDD as standard

- New GPU options, my guess being something along the lines of a new 256mb as the baseline (either nvidia 8500/8600 or ATI 2400, then either nvidia 8800 GTX 640mb or ATI 2900, then nvidia quatro 5600 as top line)

- POSSIBLY Bluetooth and airport extreme as standard

- POSSIBLY the option of a blu ray drive, although i think that will come with the next major update

Would like them to introduce a new headless mac but i very very very much doubt they will

Sounds very reasonable. The Mac Pro is supposed to be for high-end customers that contribute a not-negligible amount of revenue (and is useful to sell high-end software too), so it should keep at least somewhat up to date with new technologies--it shouldn't wait another six months to offer graphics cards that've been around for months already, nor for a sensible amount of base memory, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

I just upgraded to a Mac Pro last month after looking at what is known about the Intel road map and seeing that any major changes to their architecture are at least a year away, probably longer. I love the cheese-grater case design, so I sold my G5 and went ahead with it.

What's exactly coming for Xeon? I haven't seen anything more specific than "a 45nm shrink that is coming toward the end of the year and should offer around 15% performance improvement" and then Nehalem "in the second half of 2008, with more cores and DDR3 (which up to now hasn't provided much, but looks promising)." That's all we've got, right?
  • Reply 31 of 78
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

I think this is very possible. But it would be a buyout and Steve Jobs would remain CEO of all things good and Schwartz will become head of enterprise development.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Prediction..

You'll meet a tall dark stranger..

Who likes to say, boom, and one more thing!
  • Reply 33 of 78
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    All of these predictions are fun, but what is the purpose of them? Why not just wait until next week and view the reality? Is there a pool or something like that? How much would I have to bet?

I've been a member for a little more than a year, so I haven't assimilated all of the "insanity" of this forum yet. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm too serious.

This is not just rhetoric; I really would like to know the reason behind the "Insanity".

Thanks
  • Reply 34 of 78
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    We like it because we are insane.

(Would I have to be sane to determine that I am insane?)
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

All of these predictions are fun, but what is the purpose of them? Why not just wait until next week and view the reality? Is there a pool or something like that? How much would I have to bet?

I've been a member for a little more than a year, so I haven't assimilated all of the "insanity" of this forum yet. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm too serious.

This is not just rhetoric; I really would like to know the reason behind the "Insanity".

Thanks

It's just that we really love this stuff (Apple's products and those that surround them), and as the next even nears, the excitement builds up, and as we express it and reinforce it, it feeds more medium-term interests, and it also feeds other members' insanity, etc.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Apple's extreme secrecy has made it fun to attempt to predict what they'll come up with next. There are websites built on the whole idea. We gear-heads just like to add our two cents. It is a bit bizarre how it becomes such a frenzy when Apple events approach that it becomes INSANE!

\
  • Reply 37 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Not in any particular order...
    1. Leopard's secret features

2. ZFS will NOT be the deafult file system, though it won't be mentioned as such.

3. More info?though briefly?about the iPhone's features

4. Updated Mac Pros

5. Cinema Displays with larger sizes, more brightness, quality, and the inclusion of BOTH a USB iSight and Infrared receiver; comes with Apple Remote.

6. Info and demo of XCode 3.0's new features.

7. iPhone SDK will NOT be mentioned.

8. Jobs will not be wearing a turtleneck or black shirt, though it will be a dark, longsleeves shirt.

9. Apple stock will jump more $5 on Monday, but will close around $2.80 higher.

10. Jobs will make no mention of the iPhone's hardware features for the non-US market.

11. Jobs will talk highly about AT&T's efforts to increase their network capacity for iPhone users.

• Reply 38 of 78
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    First of all for the poster who asked why all the insanity earlier in this forum. The reason is simple; it's FUN! People on this board love Apple products, all the speculation makes the waiting that much easier!

Let me immortalize my predictions before the big show:

1.Leopard demonstration of all features. Steve reveals the new look of OS X, and it will be beyond our expectations. Expect a MAJOR revision that will astonish you.

2.Steve will mention that the iPhone is releasing on June 29 but go on to say that this show is about the Mac, so no more iPhone discussion today.

3.The low end iMac has been discontinued along with the Mac Mini. Steve introduces a totally new product to fill this low end gap.

4.The white iMacs remain available in 20 and 24 inch forms with upgraded specs.

5.iMac Pro is introduced in brushed aluminum in 24 and 30 inch sizes.

Thats the whole show!

We know #1 is going to happen, personally if either of #3 or 5 happen I will be thrilled!
  • Reply 39 of 78
    One more thing...the iPony

(And you thought the iPhone was going to be big)

• Reply 40 of 78
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    i like the #4 && #5, if #4 and #5 happens, we may not see #3