Paris Hilton freed for medical reasons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Our culture is disgusting. We build up our heroes and then eat them alive.

Whoever thinks that bitch is a hero needs to be castrated and sent to jail with her.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I vote we BBQ groverat for associating the word hero and Hilton in the same thread.

Groverat has driven me to cannibalism.

Nick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Whoever thinks that bitch is a hero needs to be castrated and sent to jail with her.

Now now, let's not eat groverat for suggesting that Paris is a hero. To some people she is, I'm sure. I think what he may have been shooting for is celebrity or icon.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I see things like that every single day.

Say what you want about her, but it's really disgusting to exploit her personal tragedy like this.

One more point: Good or bad, California Superior Court judges are elected to 6-year terms, so I would look for some Hilton-family cash to seriously fuck with his chances of re-election next time around.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

I see things like that every single day.

Say what you want about her, but it's really disgusting to exploit her personal tragedy like this.

One more point: Good or bad, California Superior Court judges are elected to 6-year terms, so I would look for some Hilton-family cash to seriously fuck with his chances of re-election next time around.

Wow ... I can feel a tiny bit of empathy because the system screwed with her emotions (in-out-in), but seriously, uncontrollable bawling? How old is she?

She will be locked up for 20 more days (20!) and totally deserved it (pulled over twice after a suspended license from a DUI...driving at night with no headlights on).

If she ever had any respect whatsoever it is totally gone ... is it really so bad to sit in a cell for 20 days and contemplate why you're there, when you knowingly made multiple mistakes?
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:

Wow ... I can feel a tiny bit of empathy because the system screwed with her emotions (in-out-in), but seriously, uncontrollable bawling? How old is she?[/B].

I'd be more surprised if she didn't cry.

I'd expect only repeat felons to be stone-faced.

Quote:

is it really so bad to sit in a cell for 20 days and contemplate why you're there, when you knowingly made multiple mistakes?

Is jail really so bad?

Um, yes.

Is it justified in her case?

Yeah, probably.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:

If she ever had any respect whatsoever it is totally gone ... is it really so bad to sit in a cell for 20 days and contemplate why you're there, when you knowingly made multiple mistakes?

From the sounds of it, she might be more concerned with contemplating why her crotch is covered in red bumps and oozing puss.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

I'd be more surprised if she didn't cry.

I'd expect only repeat felons to be stone-faced.

Well, there's stone-faced, and then there's maturity... she failed at both pretty badly.

Quote:

Is jail really so bad?

Um, yes.

For the average prisoner in the general prison population? Hell yes.

For a celebrity who has/gets to stay safe in her cell pretty much 24hrs a day... not so much. Sit there, twiddle your thumbs, read a book or 12, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

She and her ass-herpes didn't have to contend with general prison.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Driving under the influence once should be sufficient to have a license permanently revoked; the number of people killed in DUI accidents (usually not the drinker) will support this.

To then violate the probation for such a serious offence and even drive at night with no lights on goes beyond comprehension.

She is a repeat ofender, and she will do it again. And again. And again. She believes that her money will get her off; hopefully, there are enough judges out there who care more about doing their jobs right than keeping them so that they wil actually deal with this piece of trash effectively.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Well, there's stone-faced, and then there's maturity... she failed at both pretty badly.

Sure.

I don't fault her for crying though.

But I do fault her for yelling "it's not right." That to me doesn't indicate that she's internalized that her decisions led to imprisonment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

For the average prisoner in the general prison population? Hell yes.

For a celebrity who has/gets to stay safe in her cell pretty much 24hrs a day... not so much. Sit there, twiddle your thumbs, read a book or 12, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

She and her ass-herpes didn't have to contend with general prison.

It's still prison.

Think about that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Driving under the influence once should be sufficient to have a license permanently revoked; the number of people killed in DUI accidents (usually not the drinker) will support this.

We can't do that because having a car is so important in this country.

And plus that's excessively punitive.

Quote:

She is a repeat ofender, and she will do it again. And again. And again. She believes that her money will get her off; hopefully, there are enough judges out there who care more about doing their jobs right than keeping them so that they wil actually deal with this piece of trash effectively.

Yup.

She probably belongs in jail.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    let the real prision girls teach her a few things.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Losing a license to drive because your failure to obey laws and place others at extreme risk is not excessive; it's responsible.

Perhaps the US should invest in better mass transit, increase the number of taxis and start a system like the Japanese have where a driver will drive your car home if you ave had a drink.

http://www.duihope.org/picture_drunk_driving_crash.html

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tatistics.html has this:

"The 16,885 fatalities in alcohol-related crashes during 2005 represent an average

of one alcohol-related fatality every 31 minutes."
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:

Losing a license to drive because your failure to obey laws and place others at extreme risk is not excessive; it's responsible.

In my state you do lose your license to drive at every DUI tier and lose it for progressively longer periods with each subsequent DUI. What you're talking about is a mandatory lifetime license revocation for just *one* DUI, which is plainly unworkable. I know there's a desire to punish these people for making bad decisions, but you would unfairly punish people who just make a mistake or two rather than just the repeat offenders who habitually put others at risk.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Well, she always wanted the attention, not she's got it.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

From the sounds of it, she might be more concerned with contemplating why her crotch is covered in red bumps and oozing puss.

But I think about this every day, and I'm not in jail.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    WOW! there certainly are alot more nasty people on these boards than I ever thought imaginable.

Slut, Slag, Bitch, ass herpes,etc etc.

Really, what the fuck has Paris Hilton ever done to you?

At worst, she is just a source of mildly amusing entertainment that you can completely ignore if you so chose too.

Being rich and famous, amusingly stupid and (half) beautiful IS NOT a reason to hold a grudge against someone just because that is what they are.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

But I think about this every day, and I'm not in jail.

At the very least you should have warned her.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    it is clear enough for people living in the states that the anger/schadenfreude comes from the fact that for the first time it seems that a privileged criminal is actually being forced to serve what is a reasonable sentence. and she is doing this in the perhaps most undignified manner.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    What does it achieve?

Nothing but public pacification of pent up grudges and anger for not being lucky enough to have a priviliged life.

She is being unfairly made an example of and that is not justice. It boils down to people with chips on their shoulders wanting revenge against people whose lifestyles they envy. In order to be 'seen' to be passing justice, the judge is making a mockery of justice.

As for the recent media hoohar, that was just sickening, and disgraceful.

Pretty much everyone in this thread is showing how pathetic they are. Getting pleasure out of seeing someone fucked over- someone who they could quite easily completely ignore if they chose too, someone who has no effect on your life unless you willfully allow it to be so, someone who is a bit dumb and a bit rich - screwed just because she is who she is.

The lot of you are well sad.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    if it was most other celebrities, I would agree with you marc.

But Paris Hilton made a name for herself by being infamous, she deserves this sickening ordeal as much as she deserved to be famous in the first place, but she is who she is, has what she has, and is being punished the way she is being punished.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

What does it achieve?

Nothing but public pacification of pent up grudges and anger for not being lucky enough to have a priviliged life.

She is being unfairly made an example of and that is not justice. It boils down to people with chips on their shoulders wanting revenge against people whose lifestyles they envy. In order to be 'seen' to be passing justice, the judge is making a mockery of justice.

As for the recent media hoohar, that was just sickening, and disgraceful.

Pretty much everyone in this thread is showing how pathetic they are. Getting pleasure out of seeing someone fucked over- someone who they could quite easily completely ignore if they chose too, someone who has no effect on your life unless you willfully allow it to be so, someone who is a bit dumb and a bit rich - screwed just because she is who she is.

The lot of you are well sad.

How has justice not been served by the courts? Her 47 (?) day sentence to prison for speeding while she had her license suspended seems perfectly reasonable to me.