What now for the iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

im hoping think secret is still right and we get an announcement of redesigned imacs soon or within the 'ensuing weeks', hopefully before end of june

im expecting current designs to get a silent update and get a bump to MBP specs

what does everyone else think?

I'd say a Santa Rosa update is coming soon and a redesign appearing in Sept./Oct.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    im hoping think secret is still right and we get an announcement of redesigned imacs soon or within the 'ensuing weeks', hopefully before end of june

• Reply 2 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

No redesigned iMac without special event. Unless the redesign is minimal to the point it does not merit to be called so. So what we are left with: (1) either a silent specifications update (design unchaged), (2) or Apple Expo for a really new iMac design and specification bump. A special Apple event could be also a possibility in this case.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    poppetpoppet Posts: 90member
    Hi ya,

Can I quickly ask what santa rosa is. I know its the type of processor and the macbook has just been updated but what is the difference and the name that I would know it by? Core 2 Duo?

Cheers

J
  • Reply 4 of 51
    I hate to say it, but we might not see an updated iMac until after the back to school promo is over. I hope they don't wait that long.

@Poppet - As far as I know Santa Rosa is the new architecture used with the Core2Duo chips which gives it a faster 800MHz bus and is compatible with up to 4 GB of memory. It's what they put in the recently updated macbook pro's.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Say it aint so I am thinking speed bump in two weeks, which about the same time between the two Laptop updates.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    silent update to santa rosa action within the month, i'd say

anything else would be unthinkable
  • Reply 7 of 51
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    It kinda has to be Santa Rosa. Unless they start putting E-series* Core 2 Duos in there, Santa Rosa is the only way to get faster. The iMac currently has the best T-series Core 2's there are, as did the previous MacBook Pro. As for a redesign, I don't really care. From a technician's standpoint, I would really like to see the 17- and 20-inch iMacs get the same internal design as the 24-inch, as the 24 is much easier to open up and work on. the 17- and 20-inch still use the old iSight G5 design, which is the most annoying internal case design EVER. But for external redesign, it's not really an issue to me.

(*: For those that don't know, the E-series are the desktop line of Intel Cores, whereas the laptops have the T-series.)
  • Reply 8 of 51
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iMac santa rosa next week/month

redesigned iMac come Sept, Penryn CPUs any one of them have 45W thermal envelope?, if so we may finally see desktop cpu in iMac.

did Steve and Paul said we have some good real products coming?, i think all the good new things will happen 4th Q 07 or 1st Q of 08. until then only speed bumps and price drops.

Macs are selling well, there is NO Compeling reason to change much.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet View Post

Hi ya,

Can I quickly ask what santa rosa is. I know its the type of processor and the macbook has just been updated but what is the difference and the name that I would know it by? Core 2 Duo?

Cheers

J

Santa Rosa is the name of Intel's latest mobile platform. It's also known as Centrino Pro or Centrino Duo for lower end portables. Core 2 Duo is the name for the type of Intel CPUs used in Apple's portables and iMac. The Mac mini uses Core Duo and the Mac Pro uses Xenon CPUs. Apple also uses the mobile chipset in its iMac line.

What we're guessing on is what and when the next iMac will be. Moving to Santa Rosa makes sense since it'd offer performance gains, better efficiency, and improved graphics. The existing plastic box might be used, although there are unconfirmed rumors of a sleek new metal casing.

The iMac has been cooped up in the same white plastic box far too long so it's time for a change. The aluminum case of the MacBook Pro has been around for over 4 years and it didn't get an update.

It's beginning to look like the major round of redesigns will happen in the late fall, early winter timeframe. It seems the iPhone is getting all the attention so nothing really new will come out until months after it ships.

As for Penryn, Intel's 45nm version of the Core 2 Duo, it may not be out until January unless production can be ramped up sooner than expected. Since the first round of these chips will go into Santa Rosa logic boards, performance will be incrementally improved. The main benefit will be slightly higher speed with lower heat and better battery performance. The real improvement comes a year from now when the logic board chipset itself moves to 45nm.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    sswiftsswift Posts: 13member
    Given the announcements from EA and Id I imagine that when the new iMac's do arrive they will have configurations that gamers can finally work with.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

No redesigned iMac without special event. Unless the redesign is minimal to the point it does not merit to be called so. So what we are left with: (1) either a silent specifications update (design unchaged), (2) or Apple Expo for a really new iMac design and specification bump. A special Apple event could be also a possibility in this case.

I think it's both. In a week or two, we'll get a silent bump, not to Santa Rosa, though. This bump will keep the current design. And in September, we will get the new redesign, with Santa Rosa, higher graphics card, more RAM, and so on. But this redesign will not replace the current iMacs, but will rather co-exist with them as the "iMac Pro."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

iMac santa rosa next week/month

redesigned iMac come Sept, Penryn CPUs any one of them have 45W thermal envelope?, if so we may finally see desktop cpu in iMac.

Is Penryn even supposed to be ready by Sept?? <_<
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

the "iMac Pro."

I will kill Steve Jobs if he calls it this. Trying to get stupid customers to understand the difference between MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro is hard enough. The last thing any Apple salesman or reseller needs is a rehash of this involving the iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro.

Besides, before Apple adds another all-in-one, they need a damned midrange tower. I know, I know, "shut up".
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

I think it's both. In a week or two, we'll get a silent bump, not to Santa Rosa, though. This bump will keep the current design. And in September, we will get the new redesign, with Santa Rosa, higher graphics card, more RAM, and so on. But this redesign will not replace the current iMacs, but will rather co-exist with them as the "iMac Pro."

Is Penryn even supposed to be ready by Sept?? <_<

Only Apple and Intel knows, other poster says only available in Jan 08. The way intel releases CPUs nowadays, i am not surprised to see. AMD suppose to release newer CPUs sep/oct time,
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I will kill Steve Jobs if he calls it this. Trying to get stupid customers to understand the difference between MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro is hard enough. The last thing any Apple salesman or reseller needs is a rehash of this involving the iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro.

Besides, before Apple adds another all-in-one, they need a damned midrange tower. I know, I know, "shut up".

you want to call Low Mac, Medium Mac and High Mac huh? just kidding, nothing personal.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    may be iMac will be renamed to Mac, since we are done with internet and the "i" long before. then Mac Mini gets screen!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

may be iMac will be renamed to Mac, since we are done with internet and the "i" long before. then Mac Mini gets screen!

But "Mac" refers to all Apple computers. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the current nomenclature anyway. I was much more pleased with the little grid that included the iMac, PowerMac, iBook, and PowerBook. Makes more sense and it's more consistent. Plus, MacBook Pro is the clumsiest name I've ever seen roll out of Cupertino.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    I was disappointed that we didn't see an upgrade. I had my wallet at the ready for a new iMac. Hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer, ye olde 800 mhz G4 is getting a little long in the tooth.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duals View Post

I was disappointed that we didn't see an upgrade. I had my wallet at the ready for a new iMac. Hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer, ye olde 800 mhz G4 is getting a little long in the tooth.

I know what you mean. Nothing would make me happier than to see an iMac with the same nVidia 8600 that the MacBook Pro just got. At this point, if the iMac doesn't get a good GPU soon, I'll end up getting a MacBook and a PC.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Tuesday, June 26th? Just a wild guess...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    the MBs and MBPs were pretty suddenly updated, weren't they? no EOL warning coming before? so imacs could come any tuesday soon without warning?