Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

If I understand this correctly, Apple is only tacking on 20 bucks for unlimited data to existing call plans? That's a pretty cheap deal right? Unlimited data on its own is more than that. Tempting to get on board....... must convince the wife

It depends on what the mobile carriers mean by "unlimited". Other carriers such as Verizon tend to place so many restrictions on their data plans that the term "unlimited" has no meaning.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

even songs bought from the itunes music store? i was thinking that this was not permitted on DRMed media, but i hopefully im wrong

Yes, you are wrong. From the beginning you've been allowed to use an unlimited number of iPods with the DRMed music.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    I noticed from the syncing portion of the video there is no tab for ringtones.

Disappointing.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Actually I think you're interpreting his post quite wrongly. He's amazed, as am I, that you need to activate the iPhone via AT&T in order to even just use it as an iPod.

If this is true, then most likely Apple is doing this to avoid the resale of iPhones as "next-gen" iPods. Remember that Apple won't make any additional money off of an iPhone that isn't "activated."

I'm sure that it's Apple's plan to maximize the number of iPhone sales (and their accompanying cut of the 2-yr at&t contracts) before the next-gen iPod is released.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Sprint and Verizon already let people activate their phones online "in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated". With Verizon, people can either go to their web site on your computer, or dial *228 on the phone and follow the instructions "in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated". What does using a phone have to do with an iTunes store account?

Hey, no fair! You're not allowed to talk reality on a mac-fan board where people are already saying they love apple because they allow you to do this online! We're supposed to believe that everything Apple does is the first time its ever been imagined, let alone implemented.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Umm can I have your farm then please? The iPhone DOES have a SIM slot.

Watch the keynote again!

Sorry, Apple has never said it has a sim slot, and having a picture with a big arrow and the word SIM on it doesn't make it have one. Neither do shots showing what looks like cracks in the plastic that could hold a sim card.

And even if it does have all of that, there's nothing that says the SIM cards it uses are tailored for the iPhone and it won't work without that type of card.

Its still too bad Apple doesn't make one of these without the phone/data plan, just a wide-screen ipod with Wifi capabilities. Now that would sell.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Sorry, Apple has never said it has a sim slot, and having a picture with a big arrow and the word SIM on it doesn't make it have one. Neither do shots showing what looks like cracks in the plastic that could hold a sim card.

Sorry, but Steve Jobs said so in the keynote last year (at 39:11). That picture is from his keynote.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Sorry, Apple has never said it has a sim slot,

Apple's Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs did in his keynote announcing the iPhone. I distinctly remember that.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Hey, no fair! You're not allowed to talk reality on a mac-fan board where people are already saying they love apple because they allow you to do this online! We're supposed to believe that everything Apple does is the first time its ever been imagined, let alone implemented.

its not the online part alone, as always with Apple its the total process. Dialing *228 and dealing with another bunch of underpaid, don't care service people - yuck. Trying to find where to do it on the current providers web site - I don't have a couple of hours to figure it out (No it doesn't take a couple of hours, it just feels like it).

Where else in mobile land have you had a clear instruction video showing you what the device can do. Where else do you have an clear, easy to fine, instruction video on how to activate the phone, and form the images, such a clear and simple layout to the process.

As I said in another thread this is as much a part of 'revolutionary' phone as the phone itself. Yes I can do it else-wise but how many people actually do it? Do you use this approach in the phone store itself - not that i've seen you wait while the magician behind the counter waves his magic wand.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Its still too bad Apple doesn't make one of these without the phone/data plan, just a wide-screen ipod with Wifi capabilities. Now that would sell.

True dat.

Of course, when they do release said item, you will be the first to complain that it isn't as good as the one Creative is selling and that the widescreen Zune is cheeper and Apple is teh doomed!
  • Reply 71 of 94
    I call BS on the "don't care service people". I normally order my phone online, and have to call to get it working. I was able to get my smartphone working in 5 minutes with the cingular rep. giving me instructions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

its not the online part alone, as always with Apple its the total process. Dialing *228 and dealing with another bunch of underpaid, don't care service people - yuck. Trying to find where to do it on the current providers web site - I don't have a couple of hours to figure it out (No it doesn't take a couple of hours, it just feels like it).

Where else in mobile land have you had a clear instruction video showing you what the device can do. Where else do you have an clear, easy to fine, instruction video on how to activate the phone, and form the images, such a clear and simple layout to the process.

As I said in another thread this is as much a part of 'revolutionary' phone as the phone itself. Yes I can do it else-wise but how many people actually do it? Do you use this approach in the phone store itself - not that i've seen you wait while the magician behind the counter waves his magic wand.

• Reply 72 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I call BS on the "don't care service people". I normally order my phone online, and have to call to get it working. I was able to get my smartphone working in 5 minutes with the cingular rep. giving me instructions.

Unfortunately you can call BS on the don't care service people because my experience is direct. Mileage of course may vary but most of the people I know who've dealt with these call centers for mobile don't have a good experience. I have had good experiences as well, but for an example I needed to get overseas calling added to a new account I had and that took 20 minutes on the phone to figure out. Fortunately I was driving somewhere at the time and they paid for the minutes.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    I read a few days ago (unfortunately, I can't find the link anymore) that not only will the iPhone be locked to AT&T, but it will also be locked to your individual plan. So not only can you not take it over to, say, T-Mobile, but you also won't even be able to put it on another AT&T plan - if you do, you'll still be able to make calls, but that's it - the iTunes, iPod, and Internet features won't work.

Supposedly, the reason for this is to prevent theft. However, the cynical part of me says that the real reason is to make sure you use one of those iPhone plans instead of using a normal, cheaper AT&T plan with an iPhone from eBay!
  • Reply 74 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

And again, why should any of this require an iTunes store account? I can't wait for the day when people will need an iTunes account just so they can use their Mac.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And again, why should any of this require an iTunes store account? I can't wait for the day when people will need an iTunes account just so they can use their Mac.

Who cares???? I need a 'free' account to read the NY Times. Seems fair to me. I need an account with apple to activate their phone. What's the real difference.

If I don't want to I never need to read the Times again, or go to the iTS again.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I've always believed that iTunes is the secret sauce in Apple's recipe for world domination of the consumer electronics industry. An easy and convenient place to manage your media AND your devices. A lot of pundits say that requiring the user to go through iTunes to configure the iPhone/iPod/AppleTV is a disadvantage. B.S. I say, it is iTunes that makes managing all these devices so easy.

In fact I would venture to say that most consumer electronics customers will now prefer an integrated PC-based configurability. And this is how Apple will eat Sony's, Samsung's, Microsoft's and everyone else's lunch: Hundreds of millions of people out there are already opening up iTunes regularly to manage their iPods, they might as well manage their other devices on iTunes while their at it. They certainly will not want to bother opening up and/or learning how to use Sony's, or Microsoft's, or whoever's iTunes counterpart. iTunes represents a tremendous barrier to entry for Apple's competitors.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    via Engadget...

Rumor has it that Apple has licensed Exchange Active Sync after all, so let the Direct Pushing begin. Of all the gripes we've heard since this handset was announced, this one was by far the most prevalent, and indeed even a showstopper for some. It seems that Microsoft will announce the licensing of EAS tomorrow, though we aren't sure if this support will be included out of the box, or as an update in the near future. So now all the iPhone faithful will be armed with one more tool to defend themselves against the non-believers -- and here's hoping that the keyboard won't fail them as they begin pushing those missives out.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    WHAT ABOUT ME?

Here's my situation:

I have a Blackberry that was company issued under a corporate plan. The company also allows us to select another phone, and switch to a 'data' plan (as the guys who opted to get PocketPC's use). My company is willing to switch me over to a data plan if I get an iPhone. BUT...

Can I activate with my existing phone number, even though it's tied to my company?

Can I just switch to a data plan and then put my SIM card in the iPhone?

Alternatively, my wife has a Cingular phone under a personal account. Can I activate with her phone, then swap in my SIM card?

This crap is giving me a headache. I'm getting an iPhone Friday (hell or high-water) but whether I can use it is another question!
  • Reply 79 of 94
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

WHAT ABOUT ME?

Here's my situation:

I have a Blackberry that was company issued under a corporate plan. The company also allows us to select another phone, and switch to a 'data' plan (as the guys who opted to get PocketPC's use). My company is willing to switch me over to a data plan if I get an iPhone. BUT...

Can I activate with my existing phone number, even though it's tied to my company?

Can I just switch to a data plan and then put my SIM card in the iPhone?

Alternatively, my wife has a Cingular phone under a personal account. Can I activate with her phone, then swap in my SIM card?

This crap is giving me a headache. I'm getting an iPhone Friday (hell or high-water) but whether I can use it is another question!

most likley (like my company) your IT Dept will need to deal with that number/account since you dont have the req credit info for iTunes credit check.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpt K View Post

via Engadget...

Rumor has it that Apple has licensed Exchange Active Sync after all, so let the Direct Pushing begin. Of all the gripes we've heard since this handset was announced, this one was by far the most prevalent, and indeed even a showstopper for some. It seems that Microsoft will announce the licensing of EAS tomorrow, though we aren't sure if this support will be included out of the box, or as an update in the near future. So now all the iPhone faithful will be armed with one more tool to defend themselves against the non-believers -- and here's hoping that the keyboard won't fail them as they begin pushing those missives out.

Interesting, and I hope it's true. If true, I also hope the license extends to Apple's Mail on Macs...