iPhone and iPod accessories; Pre-paid iPhone; RSS reader

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is looking to make iPhone compatible with recent iPod accessories that sport universal dock connectors. Meanwhile, AT&T may offer pre-paid iPhone options to people with poor credit. And Apple appears to have developed a special RSS reader for the multi-functional handset.

iPhone universal dock adapters

Apple hopes to make iPhone compatible with a significant number of existing iPod accessories that sport universal dock connectors, multiple sources have told AppleInsider.

The Cupertino-based company is expected to sell a three-pack of iPhone universal dock adapters for an estimated retail price of approximately $20. The adapters should allow the Apple handset to fit snugly into most iPod accessories developed over the last 18 months, such as the iPod Hi-Fi, and third-party speaker systems from the likes of Bose, JBL and Altec Lansing.

What's uncertain is whether the adapters will be available immediately upon the iPhone's launch. There has been concern on the part of Apple and accessory makers over possible complications between iPhone and the speaker systems, where interference could come into play.

It's speculated that Apple may take some additional time to assure certain accessories and companion products are compatible before releasing the adapters for sale.

Pre-paid iPhone

AT&T, which is looking to push as many iPhones as possible, will offer a prepaid option in extreme cases, the wireless provider revealed through a leaked launch guide this week.

While AT&T will still insist that all normal sales choose a two-year contract, it will also ask to perform an advance credit check during the sales process that should offer a contract-free option: those with low or uncertain credit will have the option of choosing a GoPhone Pick Your Plan service that demands regular payments but doesn't set a mandatory term, according to the document.

iTunes will reportedly expose the option in its activation process if a customer's online credit check raises flags, but the document declines to mention the exact conditions and notes that some customers may have to pay a $250 security deposit to successfully use the phone. Customers will have the chance of running the check in-store and will receive a code for iTunes that certifies they've either passed the deposit check or have paid the deposit, AT&T wrote in the launch guide.

Information in the guide also reveals that AT&T will have several Apple accessories available on launch, including its Bluetooth headset, a travel charger and cable, and replacements for the pack-in stereo headset and Dock Connector to USB cables.

iPhone RSS reader

Finally, it appears that Apple has developed a Web 2.0-based RSS reader that will be accessible by iPhone at reader.mac.com.

"This application can only be viewed using the iPhone," the site says when viewed with a standard web browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Three dock adapters? Should there only be one needed?

2) Safari already has an RSS reader so why this one? My only conclusions are it's to help steer customers toward .Mac services, to show web developers how well iPhone apps can be done, or it's for those who prefer not to use Safari but still want an Applesque RSS reader.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Safari already has an RSS reader so why this one? My only conclusions are it's to help steer customers toward .Mac services, to show web developers how well iPhone apps can be done, or it's for those who prefer not to use Safari but still want an Applesque RSS reader.

1) It's probably the opposite of how it regulary works, where you buy a HiFi, and it comes with different adapters for different sized iPods. Instead you buy the kit and you get adapters sized for the iphone, but then would work in a Bose, a HiFi, a JBL, Altec Lansing, etc.. That's how it reads to me.

2) In all of the demo videos I don't recall them showing iPhone Safari displaying feeds. I'm not saying that it doesn't but I don't remember anyone specifically saying that it did, though Steve seemed to imply that it's identical to OSX/Win versions. Never underestimate the RDF
  • Reply 3 of 46
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

1) It's probably the opposite of how it regulary works, where you buy a HiFi, and it comes with different adapters for different sized iPods. Instead you buy the kit and you get adapters sized for the iphone, but then would work in a Bose, a HiFi, a JBL, Altec Lansing, etc.. That's how it reads to me.

2) In all of the demo videos I don't recall them showing iPhone Safari displaying feeds. I'm not saying that it doesn't but I don't remember anyone specifically saying that it did, though Steve seemed to imply that it's identical to OSX/Win versions. Never underestimate the RDF

2) Jobs also implied that the iPhone was running the full OSX, and that may indeed be true, from a certain point of view... But we still don't know yet just how liberal a point of view you may need to have to make it true. A question for the metaphysicists: How much of the OSX source code can you cut out before the thing turns into something that looks like OSX, but functionally isn't any more?

The full OSX seems a whole lot more flexible than what we've seen of the iPhone OS so far. I'm still hedging my bets by assuming that at least some degree of RDF was in effect.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

2) Jobs also implied that the iPhone was running the full OSX, and that may indeed be true, from a certain point of view... But we still don't know yet just how liberal a point of view you may need to have to make it true. (eg. The full OSX seems a whole lot more flexible than what we've seen of the iPhone OS so far.) I'm still hedging my bets by assuming that at least some degree of RDF was effect.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when people start dumping out images of the OS, and seeing how much of the OSX base is actually there.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    ngngngng Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pre-paid iPhone

AT&T, which is looking to push as many iPhones as possible, will offer a prepaid option in extreme cases, the wireless provider revealed through a leaked launch guide this week.

While AT&T will still insist that all normal sales choose a two-year contract, it will also ask to perform an advance credit check during the sales process that should offer a contract-free option: those with low or uncertain credit will have the option of choosing a GoPhone Pick Your Plan service that demands regular payments but doesn't set a mandatory term, according to the document.

iTunes will reportedly expose the option in its activation process if a customer's online credit check raises flags, but the document declines to mention the exact conditions and notes that some customers may have to pay a $250 security deposit to successfully use the phone. Customers will have the chance of running the check in-store and will receive a code for iTunes that certifies they've either passed the deposit check or have paid the deposit, AT&T wrote in the launch guide.

Ironic that they check credit for the go phone plan, which specifically states "no credit checks"

I'm going to find a way to get an iphone via the gophone plan
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Quote:

2) Jobs also implied that the iPhone was running the full OSX, and that may indeed be true, from a certain point of view... But we still don't know yet just how liberal a point of view you may need to have to make it true. A question for the metaphysicists: How much of the OSX source code can you cut out before the thing turns into something that looks like OSX, but functionally isn't any more?

The full OSX seems a whole lot more flexible than what we've seen of the iPhone OS so far. I'm still hedging my bets by assuming that at least some degree of RDF was effect.

If you are expecting the same full OS for the desktop then it does not have that. There is no need for printer or USB perhipeal support. There is no need for many aspect of the full desktop OS. If you are refering to the cire functionality, then yes, it's OS X. unlike WinCE and Windows Mobile device that merely look like Windows on the service but are built upon a completely different OS foundation.

I guess Apple could have removed the RSS features of Safari from the iPhone's OS but I guessing that is not the case.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    ngngngng Posts: 2member
    Quote:

You only get that option if you don't pass the credit check. Perhaps you can say you have to SSN/Tax ID and get the GoPhone plan as an option.

I just find the credit check /w the gophone is ironic

I also find it funny that they're marketing to people who probably shouldn't be spending the money to buy an iphone
  • Reply 8 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

No RSS on the iPhone Safari.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ngng View Post

Ironic that they check credit for the go phone plan, which specifically states "no credit checks"

I'm going to find a way to get an iphone via the gophone plan

You only get that option if you don't pass the credit check. Perhaps you can say you don't have to SSN/Tax ID and get the GoPhone plan as an option.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

The full OSX seems a whole lot more flexible than what we've seen of the iPhone OS so far. I'm still hedging my bets by assuming that at least some degree of RDF was in effect.

It isn't the source code that was cut, unless there is somnething there that serves no purpose on this device now, or in the future.

What was cut was desktop pictures, the Finder, with its eye candy and required frameworks for other programs, the menu bar and the Dock. The hundreds and hundreds of printer drivers in numerous languages, all of the Colorsync profiles. Dozens of fonts, and the complex software to manage them, etc.

All of this takes up much more room than the actual OS itself.

What's left still takes up about 700 MB, far more than any other phone OS, by several times.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

I guess Apple could have removed the RSS features of Safari from the iPhone's OS but I guessing that is not the case.

It is.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ngng View Post

I just find the credit check /w the gophone is ironic

I also find it funny that they're marketing to people who probably shouldn't be spending the money to buy an iphone

EXACTLY!!!

The very people who shouldn't be spending this money for a phone are going to be encouraged to do so.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Does anybody know if RSS Feed Support is part of webkit? If it's not then I would assume it's handled by the plugin architecture, which seems to be disabled on the initial version of the iPhone/Safari. So that might be the reason for reader.mac.com. Just Guessing.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

If you are expecting the same full OS for the desktop then it does not have that. There is no need for printer or USB perhipeal support. There is no need for many aspect of the full desktop OS. If you are refering to the cire functionality, then yes, it's OS X. unlike WinCE and Windows Mobile device that merely look like Windows on the service but are built upon a completely different OS foundation.

I was referring to the ability to load programs, stored on some sort of filesystem, into its own virtual address space in RAM from which it can run native machine code, making system calls to the operating system whenever it needs to access the hardware or communicate with another program. That is an essential component of OSX.

And I was referring to the constitution of those system calls being consistent with the APIs that are currently available to programmers when they write software for a conventional Mac. That is an essential component of OSX.

If those sorts of capabilities are not present, then whatever replaces it is irrelavent. It really isn't OSX.

And if those capabilities really are present, but they're never exposed to application programmers, then the fact that it may happen to "really" be OSX is irrelevant because it's still just a black box as far as the end user is concerned.

If Apple does expose those capabilities to application programmers (and for the moment, I'll be generous and allow that Apple may even restrict who is allowed to write applications), then I'll be the first to shout the iPhone's OS's praises from the rooftops.

Granted, JavaScript is nice, AJAX makes me hot, and Web 2.0 is all I'll ever need. But none of that hinges in any way on the literal presence of OSX.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't the source code that was cut, unless there is somnething there that serves no purpose on this device now, or in the future.

What was cut was desktop pictures, the Finder, with its eye candy and required frameworks for other programs, the menu bar and the Dock. The hundreds and hundreds of printer drivers in numerous languages, all of the Colorsync profiles. Dozens of fonts, and the complex software to manage them, etc.

All of this takes up much more room than the actual OS itself.

What's left still takes up about 700 MB, far more than any other phone OS, by several times.

What! No GarageBand loops? That does it, no iPhone for me.

Quote:

It is.

No skin of my back. I don't use it anyway. i'll proably have to set up an AppleScript to send new RSS feedsfrom my home computer via Mail to my new Yahoo email address. then again, Leopard has a built-in RSS reader so seting a rule to forward the message shouldn't be an issue.

Could it then be done via Mail since we know the iPhone's OS is based on Leopard?

PS: If you want to keep your current email account but also want Yahoo's Push-IMAP then merely setup a free yahoo accoutn and forward your mail to Yahoo.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

No skin of my back. I don't use it anyway. i'll proably have to set up an AppleScript to send new RSS feedsfrom my home computer via Mail to my new Yahoo email address. then again, Leopard has a built-in RSS reader so seting a rule to forward the message shouldn't be an issue.

PS: If you want to keep your current email account but also want Yahoo's Push-IMAP then merely setup a free yahoo accoutn and forward your mail to Yahoo.

It's kind of funny about RSS. When it first came out, I was all over it. but, after a while, I found it to be annoying, giving less information that I actually wanted to see of the page. I haven't used it for quite a while.

Hmmm, that's also true about Widgets. I rarely use them anymore.

We don't know that the iPhone is based on Leopard. Everyone assumes that to be the case. There's nothing about the iPhone that would require Leopard.

64 bits anyone?
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:

I was referring to the ability to load programs, stored on some sort of filesystem, into its own virtual address space in RAM from which it can run native machine code, making system calls to the operating system whenever it needs to access the hardware or communicate with another program. That is an essential component of OSX.

And I was referring to the constitution of those system calls being consistent with the APIs that are currently available to programmers when they write software for a conventional Mac. That is an essential component of OSX.

If those sorts of capabilities are not present, then whatever replaces it is irrelavent. It really isn't OSX.

And if those capabilities really are present, but they're never exposed to application programmers, then the fact that it may happen to "really" be OSX is irrelevant because it's still just a black box as far as the end user is concerned.

If Apple does expose those capabilities to application programmers (and for the moment, I'll be generous and allow that Apple may even restrict who is allowed to write applications), then I'll be the first to shout the iPhone's OS's praises from the rooftops.

Granted, JavaScript is nice, AJAX makes me hot, and Web 2.0 is all I'll ever need. But none of that hinges in any way on the literal presence of OSX.

There's no reason to believe that it's not the case. Apple must have some way of getting their own programs to run. Why not do it the way you say? No reason I can think of. It's just, right now, that there is no physical way to get those programs installed that we know of.

Also, the phone uses a different cpu.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

EXACTLY!!!

The very people who shouldn't be spending this money for a phone are going to be encouraged to do so.

I disagree with the assessment that poor credit equals a lack of finances. Though I don't don't that the majority of people with bad credit probably should be soending their money elsewhere there are still of plenty of people with poor or no credit that are have good paying jobs.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

I disagree with the assessment that poor credit equals a lack of finances. Though I don't don't that the majority of people with bad credit probably should be soending their money elsewhere there are still of plenty of people with poor or no credit that are have good paying jobs.

I'd be willing to bet that most people with bad credit can't afford the phone.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Macbreak Weekly was discussing how the dock connector might only work in "airplane mode" when the iPhone is connected to speakers. You know how you hear that buzzing on speakers placed near a cell phone that's about to ring? They were saying that Apple might want to make the phone disable the telephone radio when it's docked to speakers. I think that's what they said, I was only half listening.

Doesn't sound right to me anyway. I wouldn't want to deactivate my phone to use it with speakers.