Problems activating iPhone... Anyone else having problems?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I don't get why peolple are mad. Not to belittle you, but what did you expect, buying and activating the thing at the same time as a half miillion other people.

Did you ever try and get through to a radio statoin when they're doing a call-in contest? Or call into a popular talk radio show when the guest or topic is particularly hot?

UInless Apple could have made plans to get more bandwidth for the next few days. But I have no idea how that works.

It's frustrating when you read that some people got instant access, but others are having to wait longer (12+ hours, now). And that doesn't include the time we waited in line.

In addition, we can't do anything about it - start over, cancel the setup, or anything.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-thinker View Post

It's frustrating when you read that some people got instant access, but others are having to wait longer (12+ hours, now). And that doesn't include the time we waited in line.

In addition, we can't do anything about it - start over, cancel the setup, or anything.

Damn that sucks. Mine went right through. Central time, but I heard from my buddy that his wasn't going through hours after I had already done mine.

He told me that their activation center crashed when it hit the west coast time.......who knows.

Sorry for everyone's troubles.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I don't get why peolple are mad. Not to belittle you, but what did you expect, buying and activating the thing at the same time as a half miillion other people.

Did you ever try and get through to a radio statoin when they're doing a call-in contest? Or call into a popular talk radio show when the guest or topic is particularly hot?

UInless Apple could have made plans to get more bandwidth for the next few days. But I have no idea how that works.

it wasnt like ATT didn't know this was coming. Mine worked great but my friends minutes before and hours afterwards never worked. We went to the art store thinking that they could activate the phone for calling in the store like every other phone and servo e they offer. I called the store and they were a able to change my number instantly. ITunes gave me a wrong area code...
  • Reply 24 of 46
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sticz View Post

If I would have gotten mine to day I would have just waited till tomorrow to attempt activating it. I knew it would be like this, but im sure at&t will have most erros fixxed by tomorrow. I mean there are over 200,000 trying to use the damn thing at one time.

Fixed.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    10 hours and still awaiting email confirming activation. <sigh>

I was surprised that it recognized the fact that I was getting an employee discount and told me that I would no longer be getting that. Maybe that is reason for the delay.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    For owners who wish to transfer phone numbers from other carriers, there is a big slowdown. Those carriers have no reason to expedite the process. But many ATT customers who wish to keep their old numbers are also having troubles. Check out the Apple Support forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....16349&tstart=0

Also Apple let some wrong information out: both in the pdf user guide and printed version. It says you can use the phone's other features while waiting for activation. But can't, other than make an emergency call.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

For owners who wish to transfer phone numbers from other carriers, there is a big slowdown. Those carriers have no reason to expedite the process. But many ATT customers who wish to keep their old numbers are also having troubles. Check out the Apple Support forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....16349&tstart=0

Also Apple let some wrong information out: both in the pdf user guide and printed version. It says you can use the phone's other features while waiting for activation. But can't, other than make an emergency call.

That last part is not true. I have two iPhones. One is activated and the other is not. The unactivated phone can cruise YouTube, the web, wi-fi network, listen to songs, watch video's and send and receive email. But I can't make calls. It was a new activation so we didn't transfer a number.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

That last part is not true. I have two iPhones. One is activated and the other is not. The unactivated phone can cruise YouTube, the web, wi-fi network, listen to songs, watch video's and send and receive email. But I can't make calls. It was a new activation so we didn't transfer a number.

Uh, I don't know how you're doing that. I've been waiting for my confirmation email for 13 hours now and every time I turn on the iPhone, it just says "Activate iPhone connect to iTunes". I can't do anything with this.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    The apple discussion boards are saying faulty sim cards. Some people are using pay as u go cards fine. Lots of screwy stuff going on right now. On my way to ATT right now.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    I activated three phones on one single iTunes account with no problem last night. The first two went thru with no delay at all the the third took about 10 minutes. I got the message that said activation was delayed and I would get an email when it was completed and then ten minutes later I was done. All three of these phones were existing AT&T numbers.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    just left the store and they allegedly swapped cards. I don't really it buy it but when I get back I'll know.

Also the store sold out lastnigjt by 10pm and apples website said they had phones.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Just to add my experience for background.

I'ts been 15 hours now since I got the dreaded "Your activation requires additional time to complete". I was getting very frustrated so I finally called ATT. Turns out this is neither ATT's nor Apple's fault. It's T-Mobile. I have a business account on which I was previously NOT the authorized users. My company called 10 DAYS AGO to add my name as an authorized user. I call T-Mobile and found out that T-Mobile never completed the paperwork!!!! So my authorization has been held up by T-Mobile in the port of the number to ATT.

Just some background for others feeling the frustration.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Can you use the iPhone without a computer?

Geez, there's an inadvisable purchase. He will have only a fraction of the iPhone's functionality.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Just to add my experience for background.

I'ts been 15 hours now since I got the dreaded "Your activation requires additional time to complete". I was getting very frustrated so I finally called ATT. Turns out this is neither ATT's nor Apple's fault. It's T-Mobile. I have a business account on which I was previously NOT the authorized users. My company called 10 DAYS AGO to add my name as an authorized user. I call T-Mobile and found out that T-Mobile never completed the paperwork!!!! So my authorization has been held up by T-Mobile in the port of the number to ATT.

Just some background for others feeling the frustration.

It's interesting how the success of the iPhone's launch is influenced partially by their competitors...
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Has anyone tried activating an iPhone for an existing line on an existing ATT/Cingular family plan?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's interesting how the success of the iPhone's launch is influenced partially by their competitors...

Yep, that's my thought as well.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okdale81 View Post

Has anyone tried activating an iPhone for an existing line on an existing ATT/Cingular family plan?

Yes, me. Although not a family plan. I've been with AT&T for 5 or 6 years now and I'm on hour 15 waiting for activation. I too spoke to an Apple and AT&T rep and they both said that it is due to the enormous backlog AT&T is processing.

So you Verizon and T-Mobile folks, don't despair. We long time AT&T customers are going through the same thing.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    doughboydoughboy Posts: 47member
    I purchased my iPhone from an AT&T store, and on the printed receipt was a Pre-Approved Credit Number, and I was instructed to enter this number during the activation process. I did so, but I kept getting error messages saying the number wasn't recognized.

I first tried calling AT&T, but then decided to try activating my iPhone without the number, and the activation was successful.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, me. Although not a family plan. I've been with AT&T for 5 or 6 years now and I'm on hour 15 waiting for activation. I too spoke to an Apple and AT&T rep and they both said that it is due to the enormous backlog AT&T is processing.

So you Verizon and T-Mobile folks, don't despair. We long time AT&T customers are going through the same thing.

Same experience here.

FYI...

Activation woes hit YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeOoaypmOA

Funny if this can be seen on an iPhone in an Apple store. This *cannot* be good P.R. once this stuff hits the news.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okdale81 View Post

I did this afternoon and had no problem activating the phone. It happened within the 3 minutes as advertised and I'm not even the primary owner of the family account.