Apple releases iTunes 7.3.2, extends font deal with Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Too bad that can't use this licensing agreement to help build a broader base of default fonts on computers everywhere. That's the only thing holding fonts on the internet back. Inconsistency of default font installs. They are the two companies most capable of relieving this problem. Yet they only see this as a solution for documents on the desktop. Where oh where is the great internet font standard? Come! Deliver your faithful webmages from font constraints on the internet.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plague Bearer View Post

Too bad that can't use this licensing agreement to help build a broader base of default fonts on computers everywhere. That's the only thing holding fonts on the internet back. Inconsistency of default font installs. They are the two companies most capable of relieving this problem. Yet they only see this as a solution for documents on the desktop. Where oh where is the great internet font standard? Come! Deliver your faithful webmages from font constraints on the internet.

If the W3C got their act together they could come up with a standard wrapper around TTF that could work over the net...
  • Reply 23 of 46
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Anyone else find posting two disparate pieces of news in the one headline kind of irritating?

It's tolerable in the RSS feed I guess, but it makes reading forum comments jump around schizophrenically: one person's talking about one thing, someone else about another.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Hopefully, the deal extends to newer Microsoft fonts, such as Calibri (which is actually pretty good, IMO).

maybe comic sans??
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Hmm... that's odd. When I went into iTunes, it said 7.3.1 was the current version and no updates available, and then about 8 seconds later, software update found it. Eh.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    How many revisions since 7.0 and STILL they haven't fixed the Movie/Get Info bug!

GET INFO on a movie clip (not TV) results in nothing. It only works if I select multiple clips.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Great how Apple has to licence these pirated fonts from Microsoft ? what a nerve. Arial is a rip off of Helvetica, Verdana - Frutiger, and Times New Roman of Times. As usual for Microsoft, the copies aren't even as nice as the originals (but it takes an expert to spot the differences). Microsoft is hypocritical on two levels. First they bleat on about their right to innovate, while crushing the innovations of the true font companies. Secondly, they bleat on about piracy, while actively engaged in piracy themselves because they didn't want to have to pay licences to the real font companies.

I have more links at the bottom of this web page about Microsoft's blatent hypocrisy:

http://web.mac.com/joynerian/iWeb/Ia...Computing.html
  • Reply 28 of 46
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple and Microsoft have agreed to extend "the seamless Web and software experience" Apple users have enjoyed for years when using and viewing popular Microsoft fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial and Verdana.

"Apple customers, developers and Web designers can safely specify fonts knowing that their documents, presentations and web pages will appear as they are meant to be seen on screen and in print," the two companies said in a statement.

Thanks, Microsoft. Your fonts look great. Of course, other companies make fonts and some people buy them, but I like your unicode fonts and use them because they are free.

Thanks again, Microsoft.

• Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Thanks, Microsoft. Your fonts look great. Of course, other companies make fonts and some people buy them, but I like your unicode fonts and use them because they are free.

Thanks again, Microsoft.

Wheres the double take smilie when you need it!???
  • Reply 30 of 46
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Arial is a rip off of Helvetica, Verdana - Frutiger, and Times New Roman of Times. As usual for Microsoft, the copies aren't even as nice as the originals (but it takes an expert to spot the differences).

With you there. I'd not really noticed the similarity between Frutiger (one of my favourite fonts and one I just used on a logo design this morning) and Verdana but now I've looked, it's disturbing.

I've always found Verdana too wide and plain but If you squash Verdana horizontally it's almost Frutiger except without the nice lowercase t and the lowercase a is just wrong in Verdana.

The worst thing about Verdana is Microsoft's implementation of it though. It was designed to be readable on bitmapped screens but to do that they just simply made it bigger than other fonts. It's just totally wrong. You have to knock it back 2pts to be the same size as Helvetica/Arial.

eg.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
  • Reply 31 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Great how Apple has to licence these pirated fonts from Microsoft ? what a nerve. Arial is a rip off of Helvetica, Verdana - Frutiger, and Times New Roman of Times. As usual for Microsoft, the copies aren't even as nice as the originals (but it takes an expert to spot the differences). Microsoft is hypocritical on two levels. First they bleat on about their right to innovate, while crushing the innovations of the true font companies. Secondly, they bleat on about piracy, while actively engaged in piracy themselves because they didn't want to have to pay licences to the real font companies.

I have more links at the bottom of this web page about Microsoft's blatent hypocrisy:

http://web.mac.com/joynerian/iWeb/Ia...Computing.html

I don't know about the other examples, but pages linked from that page say that Arial wasn't Microsoft's making, they simply licensed the cheaper version. Someone else did the "ripping", and the page says that it was common in the industry. Maybe Microsoft really didn't know it was "ripped".

I think it's kind of funny that you get worked up about very subtle differences in the characters rendering that may not even mean a pixel is off on a 8pt font on a computer screen, but misspell "blatant" and "license", which is far more noticeable to my barbarian eye.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Times New Roman is pure evil!
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

So what are the experiences with this iTunes update?

They finally fixed the bug when you are in library and browsing a specific album/artist and switch to podcasts, for exmple, the library doesnt switch back to showing all albums/artists etc. That was really starting to piss me off!
  • Reply 34 of 46
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I agree! I almost can't read it. It has bothered me for years. I like Verdana, but it is too large. I need to switch to something more sensible, but can't seem to break the habit.

I'll keep working on that, though.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Thanks again, Microsoft.

*Cough* Astroturfing *Cough*
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Why the hard feelings for Helvetica, anyway? I happen to hold a special place in my heart for Helvetica. It's just the ultimate typeface. It gets the message across (beautifully, I add). It's just so simple and effective, so utilitarian. Always in style.

Ok... enough about typefaces.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Does anyone know the main text font used on Apple's website? And the font on the iPhone? (With apologies to cwinnipeg above).
  • Reply 38 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwinnipeg View Post

Why the hard feelings for Helvetica, anyway? I happen to hold a special place in my heart for Helvetica. It's just the ultimate typeface. It gets the message across (beautifully, I add). It's just so simple and effective, so utilitarian. Always in style.

Quite. Even MOMA thinks so.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Does anyone know the main text font used on Apple's website? And the font on the iPhone? (With apologies to cwinnipeg above).

It's Myriad. Nice font too.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_1706.html
  • Reply 40 of 46
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I don't see significant differences between Times New Roman and Times Roman. Then again, I personally don't care for regular Times Roman so I tend to agree with you.

At work, I am using Linux and let me tell you. Windows font rendering engine and its assortment of fonts are fantastic in comparison.