Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 401 of 564
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

The usual pattern is that the online stores around the world will go down and be replaced by this sign:

I'm pretty sure griffin was talking about bricks-and-mortar stores. My bet is that on this occasion, new iMacs are being shipped as we type to US Apple Stores around the country, ready to be put on display after the announcement is made. International stores are not normally "updated" so quickly.
  • Reply 402 of 564
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Apple stores sometimes have stock of new items the day they're announced and sometimes by that weekend. What'll happen this time is anyone's guess.
  • Reply 403 of 564
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm pretty sure griffin was talking about bricks-and-mortar stores. My bet is that on this occasion, new iMacs are being shipped as we type to US Apple Stores around the country, ready to be put on display after the announcement is made. International stores are not normally "updated" so quickly.

Whoops, fair one.
  • Reply 404 of 564
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

you are all missing the point.

we need Logic 8 or some new reinvention of Logic Pro and we need it now.

Yes! Thank you!

iMac, ShmiMac.

Give us Logic 8, Logic Studio, or Logic Whatever It's Going To Be Called NOW!!!

All this squabbling over which professor has the worst grammar, or which professor is the most oblivious to the rampant use of laptops among students, or whatever, is beside the point! Logic is languishing and a source of national embarrassment.

Apple needs to make sure the engineers they bought from Emagic aren't spending all their time contemplating stock options and beachfront property.

We need Logic {Next Version} and we need it NOW!

• Reply 405 of 564
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    Stop waiting for Logic 8 and just get Pro Tools. I want an iMac ShmiMac.
  • Reply 406 of 564
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainydays View Post

I am using an MB with a 22" display right now, and I can't say that I like the setup very much. I will actually buy a 24" iMac when the new model arrives, mainly for one reason: fan noise. The noise level of the MB compared to an iMac is worth the price alone. Add to that that I won't have to hook it up all the time, it requires less desk space, I get a better GPU, larger and faster built in HDD etc.

In fact, the only thing I do like about this setup compared to a desktop is that I can just pick it up and continue with my work someplace else. With an iMac + MB I'll have to sync the data everytime I'm going somewhere. But it'll be worth it.

I'm in the exact same situation as you and I too plan to get a 24" iMac when the new ones come out. It can be a hassle syncing two computers, but I'm so fed up with the wire clutter of my MB hooked up to the external monitor and all the peripherals, plus the graphics on the MB won't run Age of Empires 3 well enough for me. Also, disconnecting everything just to move to another room and having to hook it all up again is a big pain. I'm looking forward to returning to a desktop for my main computing and saving the MB strictly for my portable computing.
  • Reply 407 of 564
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Those of you with laptop+external monitor set-ups, and who are frequently switching between having one and two monitors, may find this program helpful.

I've written two applescripts - one re-arranges windows and re-sizes the dock for single-monitor use, the other for dual-monitor use. Display Watcher then executes these scripts at the appropriate times.
  • Reply 408 of 564
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

Stop waiting for Logic 8 and just get Pro Tools. I want an iMac ShmiMac.

F ProTools!

I know I may just be a cat, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next version of Logic severs it from TDM once and for all, with greater Mac integration at the expense of ProTools compatibility.

Native power is no longer an issue, 3rd party interfaces sound better than Digi's (e.g. Apogee and now even Prism), and with lower latency systems like Symphony, new Apple Firewire audio drivers in the pipeline, and an emphasis on class compliance in Leopard, ProTools proprietary hardware is becoming the Synclavier of DAWs. I know, not really, not with its userbase. More like Avid to Apple's Final Cut Pro. But aside from the fact that everyone uses it, I think a lot ProTools users are looking for excuses to migrate. The new iMac ShmiMac with Logic {Next} will be a rather tempting morsel for all but the TDM among us. For TDM users at the project studio level, new Apple desktops + Logic {Next} + Leopard will steal hearts and minds.
  • Reply 409 of 564
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

F ProTools!

I know I may just be a cat, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next version of Logic severs it from TDM once and for all, with greater Mac integration at the expense of ProTools compatibility.

Native power is no longer an issue, 3rd party interfaces sound better than Digi's (e.g. Apogee and now even Prism), and with lower latency systems like Symphony, new Apple Firewire audio drivers in the pipeline, and an emphasis on class compliance in Leopard, ProTools proprietary hardware is becoming the Synclavier of DAWs. I know, not really, not with its userbase. More like Avid to Apple's Final Cut Pro. But aside from the fact that everyone uses it, I think a lot ProTools users are looking for excuses to migrate. The new iMac ShmiMac with Logic {Next} will be a rather tempting morsel for all but the TDM among us. For TDM users at the project studio level, new Apple desktops + Logic {Next} + Leopard will steal hearts and minds.

I know I may just be a cat eater, but I think I'm going to have to disagree. I have no reason to migrate to the non existent Logic "Whatever" and I don't see Pro Tools going anywhere anytime soon. So, take that you pussy...

...cat.
  • Reply 410 of 564
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Those of you with laptop+external monitor set-ups, and who are frequently switching between having one and two monitors, may find this program helpful.

I've written two applescripts - one re-arranges windows and re-sizes the dock for single-monitor use, the other for dual-monitor use. Display Watcher then executes these scripts at the appropriate times.

Thanks for the tip Mr. H. I'll have to check that out.
  • Reply 411 of 564
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

F ProTools!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

I know I may just be a cat eater, but I think I'm going to have to disagree. I have no reason to migrate to the non existent Logic "Whatever" and I don't see Pro Tools going anywhere anytime soon. So, take that you pussy...

...cat.

I just want the next Logic to be so great that finally Digidesign has to release some "things" more in the midrange (more than LE and less than TDM).

Just like Apple's hardware is having a huge gap in terms of power between mobile-hybrid dual-core "desktops" and the quad/eight cores workstations, Digidesign has a huge gap in the midrange of its lineup (from completly native and limited 18 I/O max. products to unlimited but very expensive TDM setups).

If Apple has a midrange solution (hardware+software) that trounces any Digidesign's LE system, that's good for both: good for Apple as more people will use Logic XXX and their computers and good for Protools users as Digidesign will mostly have to respond to the threat releasing hardware and software that competes (at least in some ways) with Apple Logic solutions (especially with Apogee Symphony products).

I'm not sure that just a great iMac will suffice (even with an Expresscard slot that would allow the use of, for example, an Apogee Symphony card), especially if it's still a dual-core computer. I think that people with home recording studios or smaller commercial studio rooms would be better served with a small real desktop computer (smaller than the Mac Pro) but with full "desktop" components (cpu, chipset, hard drives, etc...) and up to quad cores (given the current prices of those chips, it would be a shame not to use them, in an entry-level/midrange Mac).

Having (and still) doing midsize audio projects, I still feel more confident doing them on my old PowerMac with 4 internal ATA drives and a PCI audio card than with a more powerful notebook and a jungle of firewire devices (audio interface and drives). The performance of direct-connected drives (even the old ATA ones) is still miles ahead anything firewire (and obviously USB), and we can say the same for PCI audio interfaces vs USB/Firewire ones...

I hope the iMac will receive a nice upgrade, but I also wish there will be something else that better fits some other users.

iLife and iWork information will be appreciated as well as Logic (it's been a very long time...).
  • Reply 412 of 564
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What do you think the chances are Apple will announce the replacement for the 12" PowerBook at the Tuesday event?
  • Reply 413 of 564
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Yes! Thank you!

iMac, ShmiMac.

All this squabbling over which professor has the worst grammar, or which professor is the most oblivious to the rampant use of laptops among students, or whatever, is beside the point! Logic is languishing and a source of national embarrassment.

Apple needs to make sure the engineers they bought from Emagic aren't spending all their time contemplating stock options and beachfront property.

Check the title of this thread. What has it got to do with Logic? Find the right thread or go chase a mouse or are you cat-atonic?
  • Reply 414 of 564
    Quote:

Yes! Thank you!

iMac, ShmiMac.

National embarrassment, indeed! Call the dept for motherland defense and political correctness!

I wish I were considering options and beachfront property. Maybe I will be soon, on my new ultralight subnotebook 17GHz quad-druple septa-core! Tuesday!!! wOOt!
  • Reply 415 of 564
    thoftsthofts Posts: 6member
    Amazon has none. Small Dog has just a couple:

http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x...ag104/wag10004

New iMacs are just around the corner!
  • Reply 416 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

What do you think the chances are Apple will announce the replacement for the 12" PowerBook at the Tuesday event?

I think the iMac is in the 90% certainty rage of what people expect will be announced. There is always a chance, but didn't Apple discontinue that computer when the started making smaller iBooks which are now MacBooks?
  • Reply 417 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The core of the argument is that you cannot replace the current desktop line with just notebooks (ignoring the Mac Pro for the moment). Given that the iMac is a piss poor desktop anyway and more of a notebook with really bad mobility everything else IS details.

Only if you accept the premise that mobility is not the trend for knowledge workers and folks have a need for a machine at the office, on the move and at home. The incremental costs of buying a monitor, dock and keyboard is far less than owning either two desktops or a desktop and a notebook.

There's this WHOLE other thread about who would own a luggable desktop replacement. Go argue with them.

Edit: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ght=robust+MBP

My company is by no means a software development company. Its also very hard to argue that the massive growth in laptop sales is not a significant erosion of the desktop market and is occuring because people are replacing desktops with laptops.

That means that my experience is by no means unique and that the trend for the last few years has been in this direction. Assertions that desktops MUST be a requirement fly in the face of both that statistic and the fact that there IS a top 5 manufacturer with only mobility options.

Finally that Apple is the ONLY vendor is a plus when it comes to whether it can decide to go totally mobile. You really believe that the iMac serves people better than a mid-tower?

That's clearly false. Toshiba posted higher growth numbers than Apple. HP and Dell show far higher growth numbers in laptops than Apple and see the same trending toward laptops. It is only because HP and Dell sell into markets where cost is the defining factor (low end desktops) that you do not see the same 3-1 ratio.

Laptops are now so much better than they were before that most tasks can be done with a laptop that used to REQUIRE a desktop.

So unpopular that every other manufacturer has one? If it is as unpopular as you say then Dell, HP, etc would have long ago abandoned them as unecessary.

In any case, the MBP CAN do most of what you need to day sans dock...its just annoying and a dock would be cheaper.

Vinea

I was almost finished with a long reply, when Safari crashed. Needless to say, I'm no going to attempt to duplicate it.

As you can expect that I had a response for all of your statements, you can properly assume that they disagree with most of what you've said.
  • Reply 418 of 564
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Mid-Range Tower!! Mid-Range Tower!! Mid-Range Tower!! Mid-Range Tower!! It just soo needs to happen, and if it doesn't happen, then i will be very disappointed in Apple.

Why wouldn't they make one? Because of the cube's lack of success?
  • Reply 419 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh for crying out loud. MB + 24" Dell + Logitech keyboard & mouse is far cheaper than the 24" iMac. The iMac is a lousy Bang for the Buck machine.

The primary thing the dock provides is one-click and built in drives. For 90% of the folks out there a NAS makes the dock less important. For most folks out there the fast drives of the iMac are NOT a requirement and for a large segment of the remainder they aren't fast enough (ie they want access to a RAID) anyway.

Vinea

Ahem!

No!

According to your previous statements, a MBP, plus the other elements. That changes the game entirely.

And, there will be NO dock. That's just your imagination right now.

You must do all of your figuring with the products that Apple does have, to be fair. You can't come out with an imaginary product to fill out your needs.

When I mentioned a mini/mid tower earlier, you chided me, because Apple doesn't have one. The same restriction holds for you.

We'll see what transpires Tuesday.
  • Reply 420 of 564
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

, you would see that in oder to make a laptop replace a desktop, even he is saying that, at the minimum, you will need to buy a keyboard and larger monitor.

Why? I don't feel like I need an external keyboard mouse or monitor. Sure the option of being able to do that on my MBP is appealing and I've given it some thought, but I find I don't really need to. Now I'm not editing movies in FCP or using any pro apps but any iLife app can be easily used with out all the external 'stuff'.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but have you used laptops for any extended period of time? I find the advantages greatly exceed the disadvantages. Especially now that they have desktop power.