Thread for people who love the new iMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I love 'em.

I've been waiting for Apple to release a desktop that can handle 4GB of RAM and here it is.

I'll be ordering a 24"er shortly ? I've already got the 4GB upgrade sitting waiting!

Oh yeah!

Giggity Giggity!
  • Reply 42 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Oh yeah!

Giggity Giggity!

LOL

You must do some serious number-crunching to need that full 4 Gigabytes.

I'll be getting a 2.8Ghz 24" model with 2Gigs of RAM myself.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shamingo View Post

It has much less throw than a normal keyboard, and feels a bit nicer to me. Everyone is complaining about how it seems "form over function" with the keyboard, but I believe it feels nice.

I know by looking at it I'll like it in use so much I went ahead and ordered one of those keyboards straight away. I was secretly hoping that those images on the web were real last week, well not secretly, but it was love at first sight for me.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:

I went and picked up one of the 24" last night after work. First impressions, great machine, I do however have one stuck pixel, so that's a bit of a bummer, but I'm already starting not to notice it.

I'd want to punch Steve Jobs if that happened to mine. I absolutely hate dead pixels, I found one on my first iMac a few years ago and made Apple give me a whole new iMac. I definitely wouldn't stand for that.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd want to punch Steve Jobs if that happened to mine. I absolutely hate dead pixels, I found one on my first iMac a few years ago and made Apple give me a whole new iMac. I definitely wouldn't stand for that.

How much crap did you give them and how did you accomplish it? I know they have different policies for things like that, but surely just one pixel wouldn't give me a replacement. How should I go about it?
  • Reply 46 of 72
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    In screens that aren't covered by a sheet of glass, often you can rub out stuck pixels: weird, I know. If the pixel is stuck red, blue, or green, just give it a rub. If it's completely dead, though, you're out of luck.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    griffingriffin Posts: 10member
    surely there should be some kind of replacement scheme if your brand new imac or any apple screen has a defect in it (one dead pixel). I would understand otherwise if its been used for a long while.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    I'm stunned by the amount of negative comments on other threads here. It seems as if there are a number of people who just cannot be pleased. Even if Apple was to give them a new iMac for free, I think that they would still bitch and moan that Steve Jobs himself didn't come out to set it up and show them all the features.

I think that the new iMac looks great, and seems to be a performance upgrade over the previous model.

I'll be getting a 24" 2.4GHz machine within the next few weeks, and, I'm pretty excited about it. (This will be my first Mac, and, it's long overdue.)
  • Reply 49 of 72
    griffingriffin Posts: 10member
    here here, this will be my first mac, ive used plently before but havent owned my own. ive always held out for a new imac, now its time to buy one. Looking at pictures with the new imacs and the previous imacs, i can say there is a big improvments on looks. Yes it may be the same shape but the colours and materials just improve the deivce 100% making it look more expensive and professional.

What else can i say, if your a Uni student get most out of the higher educational discount. Im gonna buy the 20" 2.4ghz for £835.43, thats a massive £113.57 from off of the origional price at £949.00
  • Reply 50 of 72
    debenmdebenm Posts: 99member
    Sold my 20" g5 about nine months ago and have been waiting for this upgrade... I do like the look, even though it basically has an iPhone facelift.

I like the idea of the wireless keyboard (I think they knew that people wouldn't be real excited about the lack of the 10-key numbers, notice they don't bundle the wireless MM and keyboard together anymore). My g5 had the old wireless keyboard and I really got use to just one wire going in the back of the iMac. I'm pretty sure I'll get the wireless keyboard when I buy this ~ I've been using a macbook pro solely for 9 months, so I don't exactly use the number pad.

As soon as Leopard comes I'm game for a 24" 2.8ghz, 2gig 750gb... Knowing apple Leopard will be a trick or treat halloween surprise!

sure do love the educator discount!
  • Reply 51 of 72
    I ordered a 20" a few hours ago and the ship date shows Sept. 13. When I ordered my macbook when they first came out, the ship date was also a few weeks away but I ended up getting it a lot earlier. Just check your order status every now and then and hopefully we'll all get a surprise
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Ok, just an update guys. I called the store I had gotten my iMac from (Oakbrook, IL) and told them "I have literally 1 pixel that is stuck, I know that's not enough for any return policy, but I'm just wondering how you can help me." The guy quickly says "The new iMac? The one released yesterday? Well shoot man, bring it in, that's just unacceptable!" I brought it in, got immediate service, no hassle, they even had set one aside for me. No dead pixels on the new one, all is well in the world
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:

Ok, just an update guys. I called the store I had gotten my iMac from (Oakbrook, IL) and told them "I have literally 1 pixel that is stuck, I know that's not enough for any return policy, but I'm just wondering how you can help me." The guy quickly says "The new iMac? The one released yesterday? Well shoot man, bring it in, that's just unacceptable!" I brought it in, got immediate service, no hassle, they even had set one aside for me. No dead pixels on the new one, all is well in the world

Rock on!! Glad to hear that!
  • Reply 54 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

That one you brought back will get fixed up and make a nice refurb.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I'll be switching to Mac when Leopard is released and go for a 2.4GHz 20" with 2 Gig RAM
  • Reply 56 of 72
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Ordered mine a couple of hours ago:

24" 2.8Ghz 4GB 500GB HD

After 3 years, my 20"iMacG5 revA is still a great graphic design workhorse when using Adobe CS1, but gets very slow when working in CS3.

It has something to do with caching or buffering I guess.

Anyway,

I'm very curious if the glossy screen will be a problem for me and if I am able to calibrate it enough to get my work done.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Could the people who got the 2.4 and the 2.8Ghz model compare the speed of their machine with the same app to see how much faster the 2.8Ghz version is? I wonder if it's worth the 250$...
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stutenkerl View Post

Could the people who got the 2.4 and the 2.8Ghz model compare the speed of their machine with the same app to see how much faster the 2.8Ghz version is? I wonder if it's worth the 250$...

yea... someone do us a favour... i wanna know if the upgrade in CPU is worth my $$ and the xtra waiting period
  • Reply 59 of 72
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I'll be switching to Mac when Leopard is released and go for a 2.4GHz 20" with 2 Gig RAM

welcome, you will love OS X.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stutenkerl View Post

Unless the 2.8G has more CPU cache (I haven't checked), I'd go for the 2.4 and spend the money you save on RAM. Strictly speaking, the 2.8 will give you a maximum 17% speed gain, but most programs and applications these days are multi-threaded and benefit more from having bigger RAM resources than they do a bit of extra clock speed.

Given a fixed amount of money, in 9 out of 10 performance applications you will have better performance with the 2.4 and $250 worth of extra RAM than you will with 2.8 and $250 less RAM.