Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 41 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Notwithstanding the fact that a 33% price drop in a two-month period is draconian, I got exactly what I paid for at $599 (with some added functionality now), so I am not complaining.

That said, I do feel badly for those who could not afford this easily, and probably were able to buy one only because they saved every hard-earned penny. Another category of early adopters is the really well-off who don't like to feel shafted. It makes no sense for Apple to p*$$ off either group.

For these reasons I think that the early adopters are owed some sort of quid pro quo from Apple (e.g., free ringtones).

In any event, I smell a lawsuit coming.......

Hahaha... You guy's are hillarious... You want to be on the bleeding edge sucking the seeds from apples core and then you bitch about the price correction. Suck it up bitches, the price of bragging about owning an iPhone cost you $200.. Live with it.
  • Reply 42 of 408
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

The iPod Classic is hard drive and the iPhones have flash. That's why the disparity in storgage.

OH YEAH... i forgot about that still tho... i'm sure they could've gone bigger than 16gb if they wanted to
  • Reply 43 of 408
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

Well I am pretty pissed off. My $599 phone just dropped in price and the one my boss bought last week (at my urging no less) did too!

well your boss can return it within 14 days right? at least he can get SOME of that money back :hug:
  • Reply 44 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Money is money, I consider myself doing very well, but I don't blatantly waste money. I just paid $100 a month to use the iPhone "early" = NOT HAPPY.
  • Reply 45 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Hahaha... You guy's are hillarious... You want to be on the bleeding edge sucking the seeds from apples core and then you bitch about the price correction. Suck it up bitches, the price of bragging about owning an iPhone cost you $200.. Live with it.

Are you unable to read, or just not very smart? "Bitch" about the price correction in my post when I said <quote> "I got exactly what I paid for at $599 (with some added functionality now), so I am not complaining"<unquote>?

Sheesh...... pathetic....

PS: And, people might take you a bit more seriously if you learnt when to use an apostrophe.
  • Reply 46 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

So what about those who bought the phone to USE it and not just to brag to a bunch of people who look once and then don't give a shit? (cause that's how all those people you think you're impressing really feel)
  • Reply 47 of 408
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

The problem is that iPhone sales are just what Apple wanted. They are probably dropping the price because they sold so well in their first two+ months: now Apple can take advantage of built economy of scale. The higher prices were to cover their asses if they only sold 200K in the first two months.

Um.. I don't think so. Yes it is selling well from a historic perspective (it outsold the Moto RAZR). But Apple haven't sold 1 million yet. There's no way at the current pace Apple were going to hit the 4 million by the end of this year and 12 million by the end of next year. Something had to be done. It's an aggressive move and I think it's probably correct. Don't make the mistakes that Sony have made with the ps3.

I'm surprised they didn't intro an iPhone nano. Apple must know something I don't. I find the move a litttle curious. Perhaps there will be more announcements on the iPhone front later this year.
  • Reply 48 of 408
    I'll stop bitchin, I've figured out how to get my moneys worth in other ways anyway. I know Apple reads some of these boards and I feel it important they know just HOW MANY of use are unhappy about this.
  • Reply 49 of 408
    I waited in line two hours on June 29 to get my now-antique 4GB iPhone. I was probably going to buy a new MacBook Pro in the next week or two, but now I just feel screwed. Suddenly my old PowerBook doesn't look so bad. This is going to cost Apple more than $200 in lost business from me.
  • Reply 50 of 408
    Now I believe they'll hit their projected numbers. Awwwwsome!
  • Reply 51 of 408
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're not a sucker, but you are a whiner.

They just introduced the iTunes store to the iPhone. That's a feature many wanted.

That doesn't count as a feature update?

Its not necessarily a feature that's worth $200, Mel.

I think its not really fair to call ppl 'whiners' over this. The price drop was huge and very shortly after launch. Let's face it, the early adopters do have carte blanche to gripe over this.

However, for the rest of us, their loss is our gain. Bittersweet, eh?

I have to admit, I'm taken aback by how aggressive the iPhone's pricing is now. I'll still wait for 'iPhone 2.0' before I'll even seriously consider it, but I have to admit that the temptation meter has been seriously cranked up.

(Well, okay, the ATT exclusive does still put the fire out for me a bit.)

• Reply 52 of 408
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Now I believe they'll hit their projected numbers. Awwwwsome!

How much stock in Apple do you own?
  • Reply 53 of 408
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Have NONE of you purchased a new car?!?! You wanna bitch about something now THATS something to bitch about... Just think how much value that car drops in mere seconds after driving it off the lot...

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 408
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm surprised they didn't intro an iPhone nano. Apple must know something I don't. I find the move a litttle curious. Perhaps there will be more announcements on the iPhone front later this year.

The new price is the rumored iPhone Nano that Wall Street wanted, they just don't realize it yet.
  • Reply 55 of 408
    Cry baby. Early adaptors of technology know they are paying the extra money to be first with the cool new toy. A price drop by the Christmas buying season was inevitable. Moreover, it is a great sign to see Apple get aggressive with pricing. Many of the people not buying claimed price was the reason. Now it will not be.

Finally, Apple likely dropped the price because 1) it is getting better volume discount of memory because of it iPod Touch part orders, and 2) iPhone sales are probably leveling off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Apple needs to give its early iPhone customers (8 gigs for $599) some kind of financial credit for their early support.

Dropping the price by $200 after only 2 months on the market makes the early customers look like they were gouged, and leaves a bad taste in the mouth of people who were Apple's most enthusiastic supporters. Also, who's going to want to buy future high-priced Apple products when they first hit the market, knowing that a move like this will happen?

If the iPhone is selling so well, then Apple can surely afford to reward the Apple faithful.

• Reply 56 of 408
    Ouch! Think about all those ridiculously priced hacked iPhones on eBay. Some of those sellers probably bought a boatload hoping to make a ton of money. A $200 price drop would sure be a 2x4 upside the head, eh?
  • Reply 57 of 408
    For all those poor buyers who were force-marched into their local Apple store and held up at gunpoint for their $599, and are now unhappy about it, here?s a reality check.

Despite troubling recent trends to the contrary, the world?s greatest economy does not, as of yet, entitle its residents to price protection on short-lived consumer electronics.

The marketplace reality is that the iPhone was selling poorly at $599, so Apple did the right thing for long term shareholder returns ? they dropped the price to stimulate demand. They did not do it to shoot themselves or their shareholders in the foot.

And here?s another reality check. For profit corporations exist to create wealth for their shareholders. Maybe those 599-ers should have bought AAPL stock instead?
  • Reply 58 of 408
    APPLE STORES OFFER PRICE ADJUSTMENTS.

its a little known fact.

take your phone back if you bought it recently and they will refund the difference.
  • Reply 59 of 408
    Seeing how so many of us paid $200 too much for our Iphones, how about Apple giving us an update that isn't focused on milking more money?
  • Reply 60 of 408
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It's an aggressive move and I think it's probably correct. Don't make the mistakes that Sony have made with the ps3.

Bingo. FTW.