Question about MacBook Pro keyboards

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there anyone here besides me who is especially picky about their keyboards? Yeah, I know that may be akin to attending a graphic design conference and shouting "Who's particular about their display?", but I digress....



Here's the scoop. I am very (very) used to a really light touch keyboard on my G4 PowerBook. I've been using it for the past 2.5 years, and had an similar earlier model prior to that. But it's time to bite the bullet and move to an intel box.



I found a MacBook Pro for sale, but when I typed on it, the keyboard felt stiff. Nothing drastic, but because I'm used to letting my fingers fly with very little effort/movement, I found myself making typos, and it was a bit frustrating. So, wondering if it was because the MBP was fairly new, and maybe the keyboard hadn't "broken in" yet - so I visited a local Apple Store and tried typing on several of the MBP keyboards there, and they all felt "light", like mine. However, I have no idea how much daily usage those display models get. If some were more stiff than others, I would give credence to my theory, but it didn't happen.



So my question for all of you MBP owners is this: Did you notice a difference in the feel (particularly the stiffness; the amount of effort to press the keys), from the time it was brand new until now? Not the overall feel of the keyboard, but whether the feel changed after you'd been typing on it for a while.



I need to decide very soon.... Thanks!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    ill tell you how mine feels out of the box in a few days.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I've had mine for about 3 months now and I haven't noticed much of a difference, not that I was paying that much attention to it though. The one thing that I find annoying and where a lot of my typos come in is if the keyboard is idle for a while, then you try and type quickly, it will not pick up some of the first keystrokes, which I think is because it tries to shut down as many unused features as possible to save battery life.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I didn't notice any real difference between the MBP & PB keyboards - both very nice!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    ill tell you how mine feels out of the box in a few days.



    Cool, thanks.. Do you have another one to compare? Or did you have a previous MBP or PowerBook? Or are you really close to an Apple Store. ;-) This is all about whether a new keyboard feels different from a "broken-in" keyboard.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    I've had mine for about 3 months now and I haven't noticed much of a difference, not that I was paying that much attention to it though. The one thing that I find annoying and where a lot of my typos come in is if the keyboard is idle for a while, then you try and type quickly, it will not pick up some of the first keystrokes, which I think is because it tries to shut down as many unused features as possible to save battery life.



    That's interesting. The "safe sleep" is relatively new, and looking at this particular MBP was the first time I've had occasion to see it in action firsthand. I noticed it immediately because it takes -much- longer to put the computer to sleep. You can disable it from the command line if you like. Good info available here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70302210328928



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post


    I didn't notice any real difference between the MBP & PB keyboards - both very nice!



    I agree that they are both nice relative to many other keyboards. Like I said, I'm very picky, and this particular machine just didn't feel like mine or the other ones at the Apple Store.



    Thanks for the reply though - I wish more people would respond, whether they noticed a difference or not. Unfortunately, given that it's subtle, and would likely happen over a few weeks (or months?), it might only be obvious at the time you upgrade your machine and feel a new one after being on an older one for quite some time....
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ive tried a macbookpro keyboard at futureshop. it was smooth and i could type nicely. this is what ill compair the one i ordered to.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post


    That's interesting. The "safe sleep" is relatively new, and looking at this particular MBP was the first time I've had occasion to see it in action firsthand. I noticed it immediately because it takes -much- longer to put the computer to sleep. You can disable it from the command line if you like. Good info available here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70302210328928



    Hmm... that's quite the conundrum. I can see benefits to both having and not having the safe-sleep function on. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could compile a complete list as to the benefits/drawbacks of each.



    Back on topic, it may just be because I have almost exclusively been using this keyboard for about 3 months, but I used a macbook the other day for a short while and I had a terrible time with the spacing of the keys.



    I guess that even though you are picky, you will adapt to your new keyboard quickly and will then have trouble with others.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    ive tried a macbookpro keyboard at futureshop. it was smooth and i could type nicely. this is what ill compair the one i ordered to.



    Thanks. I'm eagerly awaiting! :-)



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    I guess that even though you are picky, you will adapt to your new keyboard quickly and will then have trouble with others.



    It's possible, but I doubt it. After spending some hands-on time now, I actually think I would be able to adjust to a MacBook "chiclet-style" keyboard more easily than a stiffer MBP keyboard. It's all about letting your fingers fly with very little effort/throw.



    Anyway, anyone else have any input????
  • Reply 8 of 22
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post


    So my question for all of you MBP owners is this: Did you notice a difference in the feel (particularly the stiffness; the amount of effort to press the keys), from the time it was brand new until now? Not the overall feel of the keyboard, but whether the feel changed after you'd been typing on it for a while.



    I need to decide very soon.... Thanks!



    I find myself not pushing the keys down far enough on the lower row... the "n" key especially. I type at agout 45-55 wpm and find myself missing the n's more often than I like.



    I've not got the same number of fingers as you (probably) so your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I am in the same boat, kind of. From my experience, both the MBP keyboard and my old trusty Powerbook G4 have the same feel on their keyboards. At first they might feel stiff but thats because they are new. I would suggest you buy yours as soon as possible since that redesign rumor says the new ones (with a new keyboard) might pop out soon. Hopefully the new MBP design doesn't have the chicklet Macbook keyboard, I would die.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chepistolas View Post


    I am in the same boat, kind of. From my experience, both the MBP keyboard and my old trusty Powerbook G4 have the same feel on their keyboards. At first they might feel stiff but thats because they are new. I would suggest you buy yours as soon as possible since that redesign rumor says the new ones (with a new keyboard) might pop out soon. Hopefully the new MBP design doesn't have the chicklet Macbook keyboard, I would die.



    I'm with you, chicklet would break my heart, but... if one were to wait until the new ones come out, you could get an older model much cheaper.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chepistolas View Post


    I am in the same boat, kind of. From my experience, both the MBP keyboard and my old trusty Powerbook G4 have the same feel on their keyboards. At first they might feel stiff but thats because they are new. I would suggest you buy yours as soon as possible since that redesign rumor says the new ones (with a new keyboard) might pop out soon. Hopefully the new MBP design doesn't have the chicklet Macbook keyboard, I would die.



    Haha. No way - that ain't happenin' !



    But your comment about new keyboards feeling stiff when they're new is exactly what I'm wondering about. It's pure speculation on my part though, and I have seen nothing to back this up. Have you had personal experience with this, or are you basically taking a stab at an explanation like I am?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post


    Haha. No way - that ain't happenin' !



    But your comment about new keyboards feeling stiff when they're new is exactly what I'm wondering about. It's pure speculation on my part though, and I have seen nothing to back this up. Have you had personal experience with this, or are you basically taking a stab at an explanation like I am?



    my computer is taking longer than i expected. i despise that which is fedex.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    my computer is taking longer than i expected. i despise that which is fedex.



    Careful what you despise - the alternative could be worse! ;-)



    When is it due to arrive?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post


    Careful what you despise - the alternative could be worse! ;-)



    When is it due to arrive?



    well now it's been scanned. it's in ANCHORAGE ALASKA. that was the 27th of sept at 3 pm. it is now the 27th at 11 54. i'm not sure how long it takes fedex to ship from alaska to quebec but hopefully it won't take long.





    edit: ( next day 28th ) now it's in memphis TN. does anyone know where they're configured cause it seems really stupid to me that they'd have it in alaska and not ship it straight to me across canada. why would they ship it further into the states?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    blah64blah64 Posts: 990member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    well now it's been scanned. it's in ANCHORAGE ALASKA. that was the 27th of sept at 3 pm. it is now the 27th at 11 54. i'm not sure how long it takes fedex to ship from alaska to quebec but hopefully it won't take long.



    edit: ( next day 28th ) now it's in memphis TN. does anyone know where they're configured cause it seems really stupid to me that they'd have it in alaska and not ship it straight to me across canada. why would they ship it further into the states?



    Wasn't FedEx founded on the principle of routing their packages through a central hub?



    Anyway, good luck getting it soon. Can't imagine it wouldn't be there by Monday....
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post


    Wasn't FedEx founded on the principle of routing their packages through a central hub?



    Anyway, good luck getting it soon. Can't imagine it wouldn't be there by Monday....



    today is monday and it is here. the keyboard is very smooth and i like it very much. buy one. the only dislike is the heat but i've come to the conclussion that it heats up fast because the aluminum is a good conductor for heat.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    blah64blah64 Posts: 990member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    today is monday and it is here. the keyboard is very smooth and i like it very much. buy one. the only dislike is the heat but i've come to the conclussion that it heats up fast because the aluminum is a good conductor for heat.



    Ah, I see I left out a single key word in my original post.

    Quote:

    I found a *used* MacBook Pro for sale



    So the question isn't whether the MacBook Pro keyboards are nice - I know the ones in the store are quite nice, and feel essentially just like my PowerBook. But they have been in use for several months on display, and perhaps everything I'm used to typing on has been "broken in".



    This one particular machine I found for sale was stiffer than mine and all the ones in the store. And while I do know it has had very light use, what I don't know is whether a brand new keyboard feels more stiff than one that's been in use for a few weeks/months, or whether this one is an anomaly. The only way to really know this would be a direct comparison; it would probably be subtle to anyone who's not really picky about their keyboards.



    Well, if you find yourself near your local Apple Store with your computer, maybe you could compare....
  • Reply 18 of 22
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    i bought a mbp over a mackbook largely because i was so used to the keyboard on a powerbook. They are almost identical imho.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    blah64blah64 Posts: 990member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post


    i bought a mbp over a mackbook largely because i was so used to the keyboard on a powerbook. They are almost identical imho.



    Cool. So it sounds like you made the exact jump I was about to. How long have you had your MBP now? You would have likely had them both at the same time, for at least a short while, right? Did you notice any subtle difference with the new keyboard? You said "almost identical".



    The keyboards on the display models in the Apple Store were basically indistinguishable from my PowerBook, but the keyboard on the private party MBP I was looking at was just a bit more stiff. Nothing that most people would complain about, I'm sure, and many probably wouldn't even notice. But side-by-side, I think most people could at least notice a difference if asked. For my picky fingers it was significant.



    You don't still have your PB, do you? Thoughts/memories?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I wish the keyboard was a little wider.
Sign In or Register to comment.