Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Dictionary 2.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Currently the bundled dictionary is only available in English. This means if you are typing in French, and look up "Bonjour", then no entries are found. It would be nice to have dictionaries for other languages included. Also, it would appear that the look up of words does not base itself on selected spelling language so even if you are spell checking in French an English definition is looked up.

Alternatively does anyone know of any third-party dictionaries that can be made to integrate with "OS X", in the same way as the one supplied by Apple?

As for UK English vs US English, well UK English is used across the commonwealth and partly in Canada which mixes US and UK English.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Cool, this looks good.. But what would be of more importance is a strategy that stretches beyond the English and Japanese languages. Apple doesn't even support a local spelling dictionary in a lot of the countries where Macs are being sold. What's up with that in Leopard?
  • Reply 23 of 58
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Thankfully not everyone sees UK English as having evolve in the right direction. Some see US English as more technically robust while much richer due to the melting pot annealing of the vocabulary.

Look at the UK use of the word ARE to see how far they have fallen off the cliff.

Dave

How many uses are there for the word "are"? How do you Americans use it? The things that really get to me though is the pronunciation and limitless use of the letter "Z" in American, and missing "U" from a lot of words, such as behaviour, colour, etc.. Without the "U" the pronunciation changes, but people don't speak with the new pronunciation it causes. Looking back at how the American "forefathers" spelt, I wonder why it's different now. They spelt in the same way we do. If you want to change a language, don't give it the name of the original. Hinglish is a good example of the influence Hindi is having on the English language in certain areas of England. [/rant]
  • Reply 24 of 58
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Looking back at how the American "forefathers" spelt, I wonder why it's different now. They spelt in the same way we do. If you want to change a language, don't give it the name of the original.[/rant]

Well now, you should have thought of that before you started TAXING OUR TEA!

• Reply 25 of 58
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rawhead View Post

Yeah, I don't get it. Does he have it backwards? Utilize is -ize in US English (as that's my setting and the native spell-checker didn't warn me), but likely -ise in UK English, as is the case with most -ize/-ise spelling differences between the two dialects. I can't see why OSX would go out of its way to try to incorrectly correct the -ize spelling to -ise when -ise isn't in fact the correct spelling in UK English.

We do use some -ise spelling but English (UK) is a fickle beast and you can't rely on straight one of the other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

That'll be because "-ise" is correct.

Pedantically, "-ize" is also a correct option, but is rarely used in UK English.

As an example, the Guardian style guide tells us to use "-ise". That variant is so much the standard that many people consider "-ize" to be wrong, even if it's technically allowable.

You have that backwards.

Check your OED, not the Guardian; the Guardian is famous for it's shoddy spelling.

http://www.spellingsociety.org/journ.../misprints.php
  • Reply 26 of 58
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Was I just dreaming or wasn't Jobs forced out of Apple by John Sculley? In all these years (first Mac: 1985) I never saw it written that Steve "left Apple to develop" the NeXT OS. And he was developing the whole package, same as with Apple. The NeXT OS wasn't available without buying the cube or the pizza box for some time.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Awesome.

Loving this in-depth app-by-app series from AI. Keep it up!

Exactly. Thanks AI!
  • Reply 28 of 58
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hey check out that Next dock. Looks better than the Leopard one.

• Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Was I just dreaming or wasn't Jobs forced out of Apple by John Sculley? In all these years (first Mac: 1985) I never saw it written that Steve "left Apple to develop" the NeXT OS. And he was developing the whole package, same as with Apple. The NeXT OS wasn't available without buying the cube or the pizza box for some time.

Steve attempted to send Sculley to China after he saw that his choice for CEO was counter to the vision he had for Apple.

Someone in the board let the cat out of the bag and a board vote had went against Steve.

He left, bought and founded PIXAR, founded and gathered investors for NeXT Computer Inc.

You don't even want to know the wars then ensued about the Workspace.app, the Shelf and more that Keith Ohlfs developed for NeXTSTEP which were supposed to evolve and be in Mac OS X.

Ten years later and we're getting those ideas and modern ones to merge into OS X.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve attempted to send Sculley to China after he saw that his choice for CEO was counter to the vision he had for Apple.

Someone in the board let the cat out of the bag and a board vote had went against Steve.

He left, bought and founded PIXAR, founded and gathered investors for NeXT Computer Inc.

You don't even want to know the wars then ensued about the Workspace.app, the Shelf and more that Keith Ohlfs developed for NeXTSTEP which were supposed to evolve and be in Mac OS X.

Ten years later and we're getting those ideas and modern ones to merge into OS X.

I remember when NeXT reps brought a new color machine in and pitched to us at the company I worked for (now owned and mis-operated by GE). We couldn't make proper use of and/or support the technology to justify the cost, and the IT Group soon lurched towards Windows, but it was exciting, given that we still had SE 30s sitting on desks at the time.

That "founding Pixar" thingie worked out pretty well for him, didn't it? And while I'm tripping down memory lane, I still have the copy of MacUser with the front cover screaming about how BeOS was the next Mac operating system. Arrived about the same day as when Jobs came back and the NeXT big thing became OS X.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I remember when NeXT reps brought a new color machine in and pitched to us at the company I worked for (now owned and mis-operated by GE). We couldn't make proper use of and/or support the technology to justify the cost, and the IT Group soon lurched towards Windows, but it was exciting, given that we still had SE 30s sitting on desks at the time.

That "founding Pixar" thingie worked out pretty well for him, didn't it? And while I'm tripping down memory lane, I still have the copy of MacUser with the front cover screaming about how BeOS was the next Mac operating system. Arrived about the same day as when Jobs came back and the NeXT big thing became OS X.

I'll never forget the white limos circulating at Redwood Shores and all of us still around at 6pm went to the second floor, building 1 and watched the private announcement of NeXT merging with Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    It would certainly be nice to be able to add different publically available dictionary databases, any chance in this happening with Dict 2 ?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

As an example, the Guardian style guide tells us to use "-ise". That variant is so much the standard that many people consider "-ize" to be wrong, even if it's technically allowable.

That's not a good example. I usually see The Guardian referred to in a negative sense, as being a lesser paper.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by panamajack View Post

It would certainly be nice to be able to add different publically available dictionary databases, any chance in this happening with Dict 2 ?

Yeah! Lookups to Urban Dictionary, can you imagine?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Yes. I wish it could also Offer a British Version of OED in Dictionary.

Interesting it has Japaness Dic while no Chinese nor Korean.

I would think People love Apple more in Japan and they properly got some sweet deal for inclusion.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yes. I wish it could also Offer a British Version of OED in Dictionary.

Interesting it has Japaness Dic while no Chinese nor Korean.

I would think People love Apple more in Japan and they properly got some sweet deal for inclusion.

I had a friend from Japan that said Macs were very popular early on because of their better (and earlier?) support for Japanese. Right now though, Apple's doing very poorly in Japan and has been doing very poorly for years. Japan is one of the few markets that Apple has been getting less and less sales every year. Reports from AI forum members like umijin and Bergermeister paint a bleak picture about the local branch and it's poor quality support.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Right now though, Apple's doing very poorly in Japan and has been doing very poorly for years. Japan is one of the few markets that Apple has been getting less and less sales every year. Reports from AI forum members like umijin and Bergermeister paint a bleak picture about the local branch and it's poor quality support.

iPods are doing well, but Macs aren't - I'd guess it has more to with Apple's complete absence of small, thin & light notebooks than anything else.

Fortunately, that will soon be corrected.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Ahh, I see the conversation proceeds without me...

Yep, iPods have been selling well in Japan, until they came to a sudden halt this past month (at last at the shop that I visit regularly) due to the tilted screen fiasco and now delays in touches. One of the sales people at the shop told me today that Apple's credibility as a quality brand is dropping like a 100-ton anchor in helium: if they can't even get the screen straight then what can they do right? This only compounds the problems they already have here. Apple really needs to get its act together fast if it is to remain a player in the Japanese market. Releasing a fantastic sub-notebook would be a great start (one that stays at the same temp as the other sub notes unlike my MBP nuker versus its competition), but they really need to work on the finer things like quality control, customer relations and advertising. I will be visiting two of the Apple Stores next month to see first-hand what is going on.

As far as the dictionary goes, I'm sure its just one of the more popular ones simply ported to Mac; electronic dictionaries sit on practically every desk in the country (not that it helps them improve their English) so the basic data apps are a dime a dozen.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

Still waiting for a talking dictionary.

They have these in Japan... Casio and other manufacturers. The data is out there; all someone has to do is set it up.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

iPods are doing well, but Macs aren't - I'd guess it has more to with Apple's complete absence of small, thin & light notebooks than anything else.

Fortunately, that will soon be corrected.

I thought that Apple's iPod share was a lot smaller in Japan than it was in other developed countries, save for maybe Korea. I guess it's still doing good business, but not a market that Jobs is going to highlight in a public speech.