New Zunes likely to cannibalize everything but iPod - analyst

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blasterman View Post

I have two cousins that go to a large metro Highschool, and right now the Zune is the *big* thing on campus, and has been for a year or so.

• Reply 62 of 65
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Is there something about the Zune that gets the PC boys all riled up? Seems like a lot of trolling, as of late.

Even odds someone at Redmond thought it was a swell idea to bankroll some internet posting campaign to 'show support' for the Zune. Kinda like how they bankrolled that 'grassroots campaign' to tell the feds to "Leave Microsoft alone!" during the DoJ trial.

Either that, or the Zune dev team has waaaay too much free time.

• Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Let's see. Xbox gained Halo, a killer app that sold consoles, by buying bungie. Zune can't do the same by buying a record company.

Why do you think Microsoft wants to buy a stake in Facebook? So the Nudge generation can also squirt?
  • Reply 64 of 65
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Why can't I install OSX on my Dual Core Opteron at home? Microsoft doesn't care if I install Windows on it. Obviously I can install a thousand different Linux distros on it, but Apple forces me to buy a new computer just to run their OS.

Because Windows is an independent product line, OSX is integral to help promote Mac hardware sales. They may both be OS's but they address their markets in different ways.

Quote:

I've been in over 50 enterprise server farms over the past ten years. Banks, ISPs, Chemical manufacturing, Health Care, etc., etc. You know, I don't recall ever seeing an Apple product inside the 'Halon perimeter' of those companies. There's Novell boxes, and Unix boxes, and IBM Mainframes, maybe a smidge of Sun, and usually towering aisles of Windows blades, but I don't see the Apple logo anywhere. Why is that? Are the Apple servers cloaked or something? I mean...OSX is WAY more stable and secure than stupid Windows, so why aren't engineers and CIOs trying to shave every dime from IT budgets running to install Apple servers??????

Because the IT industry is primarily self-serving and it perpetuates itself by perceived complexity - remove that and it's dead. In fact move it's value proposition to 'enhance business productivity' rather than 'we need computers' and it's also dead which leads us to...

Quote:

But, don't feel bad. Many of those companies have a handful of Macs in the graphics arts dept, and we all know that running a multi-media workflows and Illustrator is *WAY* more technically challenging than hosting Enterprise apps across 5 international borders.

...because media departments are productivity based (from the days of the print industry) they have to do something useful and provide tangible output. Actually getting real people to produce something useful requires a unique combination of software design first and technology second - there's only one company which does this and it's Apple.

Quote:

I have two cousins that go to a large metro Highschool, and right now the Zune is the *big* thing on campus, and has been for a year or so. Maybe you should tell them how much it sucks because the design isn't as cool as Apple.

Because...nice try but you're lying! (or do your cousins really go to school where the students like to 'squirt' eachother?)

Quote:

I bought my first MP3 player in 98'. Dap64 I believe it was called. Still works, but it's in a drawer somewhere. Didn't have the memory of an iPod obviously, but it was smaller, cheaper, more reliable, and certainly WAY ahead of Apple in the portable media player game. The iPod I bought a couple years ago died.

If you obsessed a little less with specs and more about usability when you bought it - it might not be in the drawer.

McD
  • Reply 65 of 65
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Just once I would love for someone to comment on the specs of a new apple product before they comment on how imporant the color is on it.

Why? Specs alone don't dictate how good a product is that's down to design and 'prettiness' is also a symptom maybe even an indicator. We saw through buying stuff on spec when we opted for Macs.

McD