Need Itunes Help!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I recently installed itunes, and everytime I restart my notebook, Itunes reinstalls leaving all of music (over 3400 songs) in my C drive. I have to drag all of my music into Itunes, and I have lost some of my recent purchases also. What can I do to stop this, as it is very annoying, and I do not want to have to reinstall itunes every time I turn on my notebook. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slimcjr View Post

I recently installed itunes, and everytime I restart my notebook, Itunes reinstalls leaving all of music (over 3400 songs) in my C drive. I have to drag all of my music into Itunes, and I have lost some of my recent purchases also. What can I do to stop this, as it is very annoying, and I do not want to have to reinstall itunes every time I turn on my notebook. Thanks for the help.

I don't understand the situation or how to fix it.

However, if you write to iTunes customer service, they will probably give you the songs back. Make sure to tell them all the ones your missing exactly and maybe even tell them order numbers, if you have them.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I already emailed itunes about the problem. I recieved most of my purchases, but my main concern is the fact that I have to install Itunes everytime I restart my notebook. I also lose my purchases each time I restart.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Did you try manually removing the iTunes installer application from your startup items? It may be stuck there due to some bug in Windows.

How do I do this?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Really, the solution is simple...

Buy a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

If all of the music is still in the C: Drive, are you sure that any music was ever really deleted? In the iTunes preferences, under the advanced preference tab look for a way to choose the location of your music library. Pick the folder where your music is. I know that my sister-in-law thought that she had lost all of her music, but it turns out that after an iTunes upgrade, iTunes just forgot where the music and iTunes preference and library files (that have all the settings and links to your songs from iTunes) were stored.

So if I were you, I would open up the My Music folder and go in and out of every folder to make sure that you do not find a giant folder where all of your iTunes music is that you (and iTunes) thought was gone.

Have you tried this yet?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

First of all, iTunes is supposed to leave your music in the hard drive... what, you want iTunes to get rid of it???

Second go to Start>All Programs>Startup and check that it doesn't contain the iTunes installer in it. If it does, just delete it.

Third... iTunes can be annoying at first. There are a couple of ways for it to manage your music.

1) One is that iTunes grabs the music from whatever folder you tell it to, and loads the music info into the iTunes interface.

2) The second one is when iTunes copies content to its own library whenever you add music via dragging or just play a file with iTunes.

3) There are setting for iTunes to create its own library and to auto organize the content. Make sure you set these to what you want before adding anything.

I have mine setup so that iTunes does not create its own library or organize the content for me. I just point to the content I want to add and done.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

First of all, iTunes is supposed to leave your music in the hard drive... what, you want iTunes to get rid of it???

Second go to Start>All Programs>Startup and check that it doesn't contain the iTunes installer in it. If it does, just delete it.

Third... iTunes can be annoying at first. There are a couple of ways for it to manage your music.

1) One is that iTunes grabs the music from whatever folder you tell it to, and loads the music info into the iTunes interface.

2) The second one is when iTunes copies content to its own library whenever you add music via dragging or just play a file with iTunes.

3) There are setting for iTunes to create its own library and to auto organize the content. Make sure you set these to what you want before adding anything.

I have mine setup so that iTunes does not create its own library or organize the content for me. I just point to the content I want to add and done.

I checked the Startup tab, and it does not contain iTunes. The problem I am having is that when I launch iTunes, it begins from the agreement/disclaimer page, and I have to go through the the setup process each time. What can be done to eliminate this problem?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    May sound stupid, but are you clicking the downloaded iTunes.exe or the installed itunes shortcut?

After you install it, do this: Browse to: "C\Program Files\\iTunes" and DoubleClick "iTunes.exe". See what happens.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    [QUOTE=KennyWRX;1158414]May sound stupid, but are you clicking the downloaded iTunes.exe or the installed itunes shortcut?

After you install it, do this: Browse to: "C\Program Files\\iTunes" and DoubleClick "iTunes.exe". See what happens.[/QUOTE

I am actually using the iTunes icon from the start menu.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

So it's simple. The iTunes icon in your startup menu is the installer. Remove it. Launch iTunes from C: \\Programs\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe as suggested.

Ok I tried, this and I am not sure if I did it right. Can anyone tell me step by step what to do?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Open your start menu, delete whatever shortcut there is to iTunes. Then, click "All Programs", find the "iTunes" folder, then open iTunes using the shortcut in there.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

So it's simple. The iTunes icon in your startup menu is the installer. Remove it. Launch iTunes from C: \\Programs\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe as suggested.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post

Open your start menu, delete whatever shortcut there is to iTunes. Then, click "All Programs", find the "iTunes" folder, then open iTunes using the shortcut in there.

Ok, I did that, and I still am taken to the iTunes Software License Agreement>iItunes Setup Assistant>Itunes Store each time I click on iTunes.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    What!?!? If you deleted whatever shortcut there is in the start menu, there shouldn't be any "iTunes" shortcut in it afterwards... or am I missing something?

Once again go to: "My Computer", then doub-click "Local Disk ( C: )", then "Program Files", then "iTunes" and doub-click an icon named "iTunes.exe".

If that doesn't work, I'd re-install iTunes.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    1-800-APL-CARE

Sometimes the easiest directions to follow are a verbal walk-through. Or (sounds like a notebook, right?) heading to a local Apple Store might help; in my experience they are always willing to help.

Best of luck.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

What!?!? If you deleted whatever shortcut there is in the start menu, there shouldn't be any "iTunes" shortcut in it afterwards... or am I missing something?

Once again go to: "My Computer", then doub-click "Local Disk ( C: )", then "Program Files", then "iTunes" and doub-click an icon named "iTunes.exe".

If that doesn't work, I'd re-install iTunes.

I tried both, and the same thing continues to occur.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Another thing that you can try is to uninstall iTunes and re-install an old version of the software. I'm still running 6.0.4 because it does what I want it to do and my iPods are older so they don't require that I "upgrade" to a new version. This may or may not be your situation.

I suppose this is your home PC and you have full administrative control over the computer. Is it possible that you have a virus (are you running some sort of anti-virus software that you keep up-to-date with the automatic downloads)?

But otherwise, take it to an Apple store, if you can, or phone Applecare.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Another thing that you can try is to uninstall iTunes and re-install an old version of the software. I'm still running 6.0.4 because it does what I want it to do and my iPods are older so they don't require that I "upgrade" to a new version. This may or may not be your situation.

I suppose this is your home PC and you have full administrative control over the computer. Is it possible that you have a virus (are you running some sort of anti-virus software that you keep up-to-date with the automatic downloads)?

But otherwise, take it to an Apple store, if you can, or phone Applecare.

Thanks for the help. I'll try one of the older versions of iTunes. Hopefully this works.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Thanks for the help. I'll try one of the older versions of iTunes. Hopefully this works.

I have tried everything. Nothing works.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    What happened when you tried to try an older version?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

What happened when you tried to try an older version?

When I close iTunes, then reopen it again, I am taken to the iTunes Software License Agreement. I go through this every time I open iTunes.