Apple tablet (Newton); iPhone voice memos; UK launch info

Comments

• Reply 61 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't want something like this to be "Mac productive". If you really need productivity, get a real computer, with a keyboard, and large HDD.

The idea is to have people carry this around wherever they go. Even something with a 10 to 11" screen will be too big for that.

A hard-bound book is a little over 9"x6", a form-factor that could house a 10" (diagonally measured) screen. Every time I fly (on a plane) I see several people reading these "too big" things.

I think a "tablet" could go one of two ways: first is a larger iPod Touch--essentially a media player. Probably 8.5"x5.5" with a 9.5" screen (the size of a typical trade paperback book). As with iPods, a battery that isn't user-replacable, but 10-hours of video playback. Something you could take on a plane across-country (USA) or trans-ocean. Plus a new iTunes Store category of eBook. Plus WiFi, of course, for internet surfing. Probably needs iPod pricing of about $600 (the iPhone was a stalking horse for this price point).

Or the "tablet" could be a multi-touch MacBook (Pro?), sans keyboard (but with a stylus input mode/capability, I hope). This could be a 9"x6" or even 10"x8" (the size of a composition book). With a high-density pixel display, this could be a "productivity tool" if it had a USB port for, say, a digital camera, for example. The price point here could be $1000+.

The reason that I keep referencing "books" is because people (not just students) do carry these things around (as opposed to "clip boards", which I do carry around but few people do outside of a warehouse).
  • Reply 62 of 189
    I too want ebooks on my tablet.

I like your post. Well thought out.
  • Reply 63 of 189
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

You wouldn't be pressing down too hard, and what could you be doing for a prolonged period of time that doesn't let you sit down?

Not me. One of the purposes for these things has been for uses in hospitals, construction, engineering, etc.

These uses envisioned people walking around, taking notes as they go. Doctors making their rounds in the hospital, for example, checking patients records, and making the usual notations.

It's proven to be too difficult for this task.
  • Reply 64 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

This one is getting pretty enthusiastic reviews.

I really hope Apple are heading in this direction.

What does this have to do with a tablet, or UMPC-like device?

It's just a small, cheap, not really very good, laptop running, I believe, Linux.

The only reason why it's getting good reviews is BECAUSE it's so cheap. Otherwise, it doesn't compete with anything.
  • Reply 65 of 189
    Quote:

Perfection is bound to happen sooner or later in this category.. preferably sooner.

That's what they said about tablets about 20 years ago.

We're still waiting.
  • Reply 66 of 189
    Good point. I can't see them walking around with a UMPC though, to be honest. I don't think think it's necessarily worse. We're talking under 2 pounds, and I think it'd be just as easy/hard to do in those situations as anything else out there. How would you propose it be simplified? I'd be ok walking around, holding it at my side, and cradling it when necessary. I'll have to find something along the same dimensions and weight and give it a try for a couple hours.
  • Reply 67 of 189
    Quote:

http://www.axiotron.com/

Does anyone here have one? It's as close as we'll get for now..

I think they sold ten.

This was also give rave reviews when it first came out.

It's expensive for what it is, but still, if people really liked the idea, it could have become popular, but it didn't.
  • Reply 68 of 189
    Quote:

What does this have to do with a tablet, or UMPC-like device?

It's just a small, cheap, not really very good, laptop running, I believe, Linux.

The only reason why it's getting good reviews is BECAUSE it's so cheap. Otherwise, it doesn't compete with anything.

I agree. The only use is for children.
  • Reply 69 of 189
    Quote:

I think they sold ten.

This was also give rave reviews when it first came out.

It's expensive for what it is, but still, if people really liked the idea, it could have become popular, but it didn't.

I don't think that many people knew about it. How big was its announcement when it came out? I bet if it was on display in Apple stores it'd sell a bit more.
  • Reply 70 of 189
    Quote:

That's what they said about tablets about 20 years ago.

We're still waiting.

But we're much closer, don't you agree?

Melgross, what, in your opinion, needs to be added/removed/changed to make a tablet sell, and sell well?
  • Reply 71 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

A hard-bound book is a little over 9"x6", a form-factor that could house a 10" (diagonally measured) screen. Every time I fly (on a plane) I see several people reading these "too big" things.

While I've been saying, for some time, that I would buy a small, lightweight, portable from Apple, if it had either a 10 or 11" screen, and weighed no more than two pounds. Just to carry around, and use for not very serious things.

But, still, There are times when I want my hands to be free, and I don't want to carry that size case with it inside.

So I wouldn't carry it all the time. Still too big.

Quote:

I think a "tablet" could go one of two ways: first is a larger iPod Touch--essentially a media player. Probably 8.5"x5.5" with a 9.5" screen (the size of a typical trade paperback book). As with iPods, a battery that isn't user-replacable, but 10-hours of video playback. Something you could take on a plane across-country (USA) or trans-ocean. Plus a new iTunes Store category of eBook. Plus WiFi, of course, for internet surfing. Probably needs iPod pricing of about $600 (the iPhone was a stalking horse for this price point).

Or the "tablet" could be a multi-touch MacBook (Pro?), sans keyboard (but with a stylus input mode/capability, I hope). This could be a 9"x6" or even 10"x8" (the size of a composition book). With a high-density pixel display, this could be a "productivity tool" if it had a USB port for, say, a digital camera, for example. The price point here could be $1000+.

The reason that I keep referencing "books" is because people (not just students) do carry these things around (as opposed to "clip boards", which I do carry around but few people do outside of a warehouse).

What I see for this is something that could be carried around on the belt, like the old Newton, or a Palm, or a phone, etc.

With modern tech, compared to the Newton, it would be much thinner, and at the same time, a bit bigger, but not much. It would have to sit on your belt comfortably, so as not to be a pain when you sit, and move around.

If that were the case, then people would carry this with them almost everywhere they go.

It could also have phone capabilities, and of course, WiFi, possibly Skype, or something like it. Perhaps later, WiMax.

With a Bluetooth headset, you wouldn't need to handle the thing for calls.

The question is just how big can this be?

I figure no more than a 4" x 6" screen, with not too much case around that, would work, for most people.

You could get at least 720 x 480 on that, though I can easily see 768 x 512.

That's enough real estate for most anything that doesn't involve heavy work.

A 6" wide multi-touch keyboard would work out just fine for the two thumb method. It can't be too big for that or there will be too much stretching.

It's a bit small for touch typing, but it could be done carefully.

The question also is how much would this cost?

I would think that 16GB built-in RAM would be fine for now, as long as there is one slot for, preferably a CF card. You can get plenty of extra memory with those, and have back-up that way as well.

E-books are a no brainer. Both Palm and Mobile Write have readers not just for portable PDA's but also for the Mac right now.

Another question would concern the interface. iPhone or Mac? A combo of sorts?

What software would it run? If a good selection became available...

This is something I would buy instantly.
  • Reply 72 of 189
    Quote:

Good point. I can't see them walking around with a UMPC though, to be honest. I don't think think it's necessarily worse. We're talking under 2 pounds, and I think it'd be just as easy/hard to do in those situations as anything else out there. How would you propose it be simplified? I'd be ok walking around, holding it at my side, and cradling it when necessary. I'll have to find something along the same dimensions and weight and give it a try for a couple hours.

We're talking about two completely different ideas.

I do photography. I walk around with my camera out, sometimes a small camera bag, and a tripod.

The last thing I want is a tablet to carry. I'm not the only one.
  • Reply 73 of 189
    Quote:

I would think that 16GB built-in RAM would be fine for now, as long as there is one slot for, preferably a CF card. You can get plenty of extra memory with those, and have back-up that way as well.

E-books are a no brainer. Both Palm and Mobile Write have readers not just for portable PDA's but also for the Mac right now.

Another question would concern the interface. iPhone or Mac? A combo of sorts?

What software would it run? If a good selection became available...

This is something I would buy instantly.

16 gb RAM? Holy cow!!!!!!

Agree with ebooks.

Do you really think iphone users would want to carry this around as well, when this would be just a small step up?

I think the interface would have to be more Mac based.
  • Reply 74 of 189
    Quote:

I don't think that many people knew about it. How big was its announcement when it came out? I bet if it was on display in Apple stores it'd sell a bit more.

It was all over the Mac press. Even PC magazines has stories about it.

It was in the NYTimes .
  • Reply 75 of 189
    Quote:

But we're much closer, don't you agree?

Melgross, what, in your opinion, needs to be added/removed/changed to make a tablet sell, and sell well?

I don't know. We can't say that until it gets here. So far it hasn't.

I don't think it's entirely the technology these days. I do believe that one can be made.

I just don't think the public wants one.
  • Reply 76 of 189
    Quote:

We're talking about two completely different ideas.

I do photography. I walk around with my camera out, sometimes a small camera bag, and a tripod.

The last thing I want is a tablet to carry. I'm not the only one.

And with that, I think we run into a problem. I still think what you describe is too close to what the iPhone is. I agree with what you said being a photographer.

I'd personally have the tablet in a sleeve, slung over my shoulder. I wouldn't just have it out and about.

But then we run into the same problem with what I want. Is a 10-11" tablet mac to close to being a macbook ultra portable? We need something in between, which I can't fathom, as it would (to me) feel like too large of a newton, to small of a notebook.
  • Reply 77 of 189
    Quote:

It was all over the Mac press. Even PC magazines has stories about it.

It was in the NYTimes .

That still leaves out a LOT of people.
  • Reply 78 of 189
    Quote:

I don't know. We can't say that until it gets here. So far it hasn't.

I don't think it's entirely the technology these days. I do believe that one can be made.

I just don't think the public wants one.

I really wish the public would change their minds.

I think waiting a little longer would be in its (the tablet) best interest, technology wise.

You know, save on weight, power, all that jazz.
  • Reply 79 of 189
    Quote:

16 gb RAM? Holy cow!!!!!!

Agree with ebooks.

Do you really think iphone users would want to carry this around as well, when this would be just a small step up?

I think the interface would have to be more Mac based.

Uh yeah.

Sorry, I meant Flash, of course. These machines use it like RAM though, as well as for permanent storage.

This is a giant step up.

Four to five times as much pixels for ecample makes a vast difference as to what the GUI can be, and thus, how programs interface with the user.

I hope you got more out of the post that that.
  • Reply 80 of 189
    Quote:

And with that, I think we run into a problem. I still think what you describe is too close to what the iPhone is. I agree with what you said being a photographer.

I'd personally have the tablet in a sleeve, slung over my shoulder. I wouldn't just have it out and about.

But then we run into the same problem with what I want. Is a 10-11" tablet mac to close to being a macbook ultra portable? We need something in between, which I can't fathom, as it would (to me) feel like too large of a newton, to small of a notebook.

These are too dfferent product line for two different kinds of needs.

Both can co-exist.