Apple stock tumbles; US iPhone illegal in Europe?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the lack of official sanctions effectively makes it illegal to use the device in the region

Ahuh.... if that was right then someone roaming in Europe with an iPhone would be breaking the law too.... right?

(Thanks to the others who have replied that CE is not that stringent)
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Why don't you explain it to him?

And tell him about your source for purchasing individual scenes from movies.

Idiot.

Surely "Brit" must have racked up an impressive number of AI imposed penalties by now? Whatever happened to a good old public banning?
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgreeniwa View Post

<Anyone caught using the iPhone by a knowledgeable official could face a fine, including Americans visiting the country.>

This makes NO sense. so Americans can use our iPhones to roam in Europe?

Cool.

The thing is, how ob earth would they enforce such nonsense? With all the electronic gear people have these days there's just no way in hell anyone can check if all those items that would need CE approval actually have it.

BTW: I use a vintage AT&T Sculptura (a.k.a. donut) phone on my landline, which used to be illegal due to understandable technical issues. I wonder how they'd enforced that in the days when every phone sold in a country either came from the (state owned) telco or needed their certification.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Brit, your attitude has been pretty shall we say, unremarkable, these past few months. What's eating you???

As for Jay-Z, not sure what his music is up to now, since vs LinkinPark, which I thought was ok, and before that BigPimpin'etc which was alright.

As for stock prices, a large majority of shareholders who don't know much about Apple are involved. This will cause a lot of turbulence in the stock price I feel......
  • Reply 45 of 82
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Whatever the reasons "artists" give for the whole album idea most of them are BS. Even operas, which tell a story with music, are divided up into songs or movements. Some of the songs are good for every day listening and others, quite often, are not. Opera singers will even perform select arias at concerts and the songs hold up devoid of the context of the opera because the music is beautiful and the singers are talented.

My favorite "artist" who insists on the whole album concept is Bob Seger. He says that he won't sell his songs separate from his album but he has no such problem selling them to being used as the soundtrack to a commercial for Chevy Trucks. What a tool.

An album is NOT like a movie. It is a collection of songs which should hold up on their own. A movie, is a complete story (or should be) and while certain scenes may very well stand up on their own, the whole thing is required to provide context.

Musical "artists" should let their fans decide how they want to purchase the music. But maybe they don't have enough faith in the music or in their fans to provide them with this choice.

JayZ obviously is concerned that singles alone aren't good enough, one has to be rammed up the ass with an entire, bloated, waste-of-the-songs-you-don't-like, album.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I gues it's not like authorities check every US travellers' mobile phones on arrival. Let's hope the officially unlocked european iPhone is going on sale soon so we can have an end to all this shit.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Whatever the reasons "artists" give for the whole album idea most of them are BS. Even operas, which tell a story with music, are divided up into songs or movements. Some of the songs are good for every day listening and others, quite often, are not. Opera singers will even perform select arias at concerts and the songs hold up devoid of the context of the opera because the music is beautiful and the singers are talented.

My favorite "artist" who insists on the whole album concept is Bob Seger. He says that he won't sell his songs separate from his album but he has no such problem selling them to being used as the soundtrack to a commercial for Chevy Trucks. What a tool.

An album is NOT like a movie. It is a collection of songs which should hold up on their own. A movie, is a complete story (or should be) and while certain scenes may very well stand up on their own, the whole thing is required to provide context.

Musical "artists" should let their fans decide how they want to purchase the music. But maybe they don't have enough faith in the music or in their fans to provide them with this choice.

I think that a really good movie can have scenes that stand on their own, do to emotional content, acting abilities, or some other quality. Consider all the clip shows that have appeared on YouTube, for example. The jokes still stand up with only the basic context. Operas are not appreciated by most people, but neither is a brilliant performance by an actor. Even then, only certain aspects of the piece are appreciated. Furthermore, you're still missing a lot of the opera by not listening to the whole thing. Just because it's status quo to break up the piece doesn't mean it's right.

And besides, Jay-Z owns the work and the label, so is under NO OBLIGATION TO THE CONSUMER. Buy it if you want, hate him if you want, he can still make music.

But your opera analogy is slightly flawed, because many composers would object to decontextualization of their works, such as Wagner, who would have been furious that anyone separate his songs from each other or even from the sets. And then he would have been angry and blamed it on the Jews. Nietzsche would have then smacked him hard (in a pamphlet), which Heidegger would have interpreted as having to do something with being before sneaking off to have torrid jewish affairs with Hannah Arendt (to escape his nazi wife), whose idea of action would later influence (secondhand) a college dropout named Steve Jobs to reshape the world and enforce a strict understanding of consumer choices... and we've gone nowhere.

And if you cut up my post I'll sue you for failing to consider it as a whole entity.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

I think that a really good movie can have scenes that stand on their own, do to emotional content, acting abilities, or some other quality. Consider all the clip shows that have appeared on YouTube, for example. The jokes still stand up with only the basic context. Operas are not appreciated by most people, but neither is a brilliant performance by an actor. Even then, only certain aspects of the piece are appreciated. Furthermore, you're still missing a lot of the opera by not listening to the whole thing. Just because it's status quo to break up the piece doesn't mean it's right.

And besides, Jay-Z owns the work and the label, so is under NO OBLIGATION TO THE CONSUMER. Buy it if you want, hate him if you want, he can still make music.

But your opera analogy is slightly flawed, because many composers would object to decontextualization of their works, such as Wagner, who would have been furious that anyone separate his songs from each other or even from the sets. And then he would have been angry and blamed it on the Jews. Nietzsche would have then smacked him hard (in a pamphlet), which Heidegger would have interpreted as having to do something with being before sneaking off to have torrid jewish affairs with Hannah Arendt (to escape his nazi wife), whose idea of action would later influence (secondhand) a college dropout named Steve Jobs to reshape the world and enforce a strict understanding of consumer choices... and we've gone nowhere.

And if you cut up my post I'll sue you for failing to consider it as a whole entity.

Jay-Z certainly has no obligation to the customer but it is his fans who have made him fabulously wealthy and famous. He owes them something. And he has given them a choice. I guess it's to the torrents for many of them.

And while opera composers might be upset with their works being used outside of the body of the complete work--and they would be S O L because it's all in public domain by now--the reality is that many individual songs take on a far greater significance outside of the piece they originally a part of. As an example, how many people who love "Nessun Dorma" have heard another single note of Turadot? I would guess most.

Jay-Z can do whatever he wishes with his music but my guess is when sales slow down he will have a change of heart, make individual songs available and look the keep the cash register ringing.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=80826

All in all, there are sufficient flaws in 10.5.0 to have delayed its release. The same was true for 10.4.0 and 10.0.0 and others. Many of the problems are likely known to Apple; indeed, they often have fixes within a couple of weeks. Why not take those weeks and make sure the product works right before sending it out? Why the hurry as opposed to the desire to get it right?

I have never updated an OS on any of my machines until the X.Y.1 was released, and never on my work machine until the X.Y.2 in order to make sure the teething problems are fixed. Sadly, this means somebody else has to suffer through the beta test period.

Please describe a "Sufficient flaw"

I use Leopard on a 24" iMac (White, 2GB Ram, 500GB HDD. 3 external drives 2 FW 800 1 USB)

I run office 2004, parallels (running vista, xp pro sp2 and win 2000) Mail, Adobe CS3 web premium (Mostly photoshop and dreamweaver) and Time Machine runs on the 250GB USB drive

I upgraded to Leopard on October 26th, I use the iMac to run all of my IT support apps for my clients, I design and publish websites and basically run the business from the Mac.

The imac has only been rebooted twice since installing Leopard and that was for updates, I have not had any issues with lost files, program hangs etc and it is used constantly mon-sat every week from 830am-7 or 8 pm. In the evening i use it to stream music/movies etc to my xbox 360.

Now if the operating system wasn't ready to ship then surely a user who is running a load of apps every day would have his system crash or screw up his work by now?

As far as I see there is one bug that can make you lose files and that only happens if you are moving a file from one drive to another and you disconnect one of the drives..... WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT????

Anyway, its been rock solid for me and thats giving it a good work out every day.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:

<Anyone caught using the iPhone by a knowledgeable official could face a fine, including Americans visiting the country.>

This makes NO sense. so Americans can use our iPhones to roam in Europe?

Cool.

It's a fact that any electronic device that is used in European Union countries needs to bear the CE mark. iPods do have that internationally. iPhones don't, at least the ones sold up until the end of September. I can tell from personal experience that this is in fact the law in EU countries.

It's true, though, that the devices do not have to be tested for compliance. The are simply required to exhibit the CE mark on the outside (some cell phones do that when you remove the battery, which is obviously also ok).

I guess this doesn't have to bother you at all, as long as you don't get checked by customs upon immigration or (as in my case) don't try to import and use it. So again, carrying an iPhone with you in EU countries is not a problem IF it's turned off...
  • Reply 51 of 82
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shares of Apple Inc. bled more than 10 percent of their value Thursday afternoon amid concerns of a slowing economy, but later recouped a portion of the losses. Meanwhile, Europeans eager to import the US iPhone have found it illegal on the continent.

AAPL takes a nosedive amid market jitters

US Federal Reserve chariman Ben Bernanke triggered a general plunge in the US stock market on Thursday when commenting that the shrinkage of the US housing industry, a weaker US dollar, and higher oil prices were all combining to put the brakes on the US economy as a whole.

The negative outlook prompted one of the largest sell-offs in recent months for the Dow Jones exchange and hit technology stocks particularly hard, many of whom had previously been climbing upwards at a rapid pace.

Although not the worst-hit in terms of money lost, Apple was particularly vulnerable to investors' fears. The company's stock dropped as much as 11 percent in the day to reach $167.77 before partially recovering near the end of the trading day to reach $175.47, or a drop of 5.8 percent.

European laws may bar American iPhones

While the British and Germans are slated to receive the iPhone this Friday, a reminder came today that residents of other European countries -- or Germans simply unhappy with having to use T-Mobile for service -- should think twice before importing an American model.

A report received by AppleInsider notes that the US version of Apple's phone lacks the CE mark of approval by European Union regulators governing electronics on the continent. Similar to requiring an FCC approval for a device in the United States, the lack of official sanctions effectively makes it illegal to use the device in the region -- in this case, forcing one German user importing an iPhone to relinquish control of the device to customs officials.

Though he eventually received the phone, both the officials and Apple Germany have reportedly confirmed that the original US device is forbidden in European countries that honor the CE label. An importer can technically own the device but has no license to use it, officials explain. Anyone caught using the iPhone by a knowledgeable official could face a fine, including Americans visiting the country.

German iPhones are expected to include the CE mark, though it's unclear whether that approval will extend to the British model as well. The iPod touch already bears the logo, but is not subject to the same exclusive contracts and hardware locks as the iPhone.

Jay-Z refuses iTunes sales of new album

Those looking for Jay-Z's latest album, American Gangster, will have to skip iTunes if they want to buy it online, the rap artist says.

In a statement provided to the press this week and reported by Ars Technica, the musician known legally as Shawn Carter describes the concept of per-song downloads as illogical.

"As movies are not sold scene by scene, this collection will not be sold as individual singles," Jay-Z says.

Instead, iTunes users and iPod owners looking to buy the album will have to turn to CD shops and competing online stores that will sell only the complete album, such as Amazon MP3 or RealNetworks' Rhapsody.

The move adds Jay-Z to the ranks of other artists that insist on whole-album downloads for artistic reasons, which includes Radiohead and other high-profile groups. This resistance is often credited to an insistence on the part of Apple chief Steve Jobs that every song shorter than ten minutes must be available as a stand-alone download.

Blockbuster looks to download kiosks to fight online videos

Faced with the sharp decline of its traditional retail video rental strategy in favor of iTunes, Netflix, and other services that operate partially if not entirely online, Blockbuster is experimenting with the idea of installing kiosks that permit downloads directly to handheld media devices, Electronista writes.

Although most of the details have not been revealed to the public, the stations should be ready in prototype form by the start of 2008 and may include locations outside of Blockbuster's familiar turf, including shopping malls.

The company is also considering digital installments for children at its stores and may tightly integrate recently acquired online video store MovieLink into the main Blockbuster website, according to the report.

The iPhone labeling issue is unfortunate. it's too bad the US version doesn't have the CE label. kind of a little oversight.

As far as JayZ is concerned, who cares? It's just gangster rap anyway. Either way you look it, whether it is one song or an entire album, it is unhealthy to listen to that music. I do agree that some albums should be sold only as a complete album because some artists have made albums as a Concept Album, so I think that it would be nice if artists would be able to choose if their albums were specifically sold as a collection rather than a per song basis. Maybe they could give a slight price discount for full album purchases. That might be an option for Apple to consider. the entire downloadable music content is an ever changing battle between the consumer, the record label, the artist, and the Music Store selling the content. It's hard to please everyone all of the time.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=80826

All in all, there are sufficient flaws in 10.5.0 to have delayed its release. The same was true for 10.4.0 and 10.0.0 and others.

What were the sufficient flaws in Tiger 10.4.0 that can parallel Leopard's growing list??? I don't remember anything like this and I installed both on day one.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What were the sufficient flaws in Tiger 10.4.0 that can parallel Leopard's growing list??? I don't remember anything like this and I installed both on day one.

"growing list"

which are?
  • Reply 54 of 82
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bramius View Post

It's a fact that any electronic device that is used in European Union countries needs to bear the CE mark.

Used or sold in the EU?

I can imagine selling a device without CE is illegal, but certainly USING it should be, no?

If not, every US citizen with an iPhone in Europe using it on roaming must be illegally doing so and immediately relinquish her/his phone to customs!!!

That can't be.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    " European laws may bar American iPhones

Anyone caught using the iPhone by a knowledgeable official could face a fine, including Americans visiting the country."

The the CE label is required for local merchants to sell to the local public - only.

That would mean they cannot sell American versions wich would be the equivalent to "grey market goods" here.

No one can fine or confiscate American iPhones from any individual users including local citizens.

These are just marketing and dealer rules, that do not affect individual users.

Though American phones might be restricted in use somewhat by local telephone carriers,

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO HAVE OR USE AN AMERICAN IPHONE IN ANY DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I don't get why some of the posters get so excited about whether or not somebody chooses to sell their stuff on iTunes Store or not. I always though of it as just another online store that had a relatively intuitive user interface and a by-the-song offering that appealed to me and many other users.

I must have missed the memo about how iTunes very existence mandated participation and compliance by all producers of recorded sound.

I don't know about where some of you folks live, but in my part of the world we pretty much let people buy and listen to whatever sounds they like however they choose to legally acquire it. And if the person making the sound recordings doesn't choose to follow sales and distribution rules of some of the marketplaces, there's no comprehensive Rule of the Universe that requires them to do so.

As for the consumer's all-important right to only buy the recording he wants, most recording artists will provide a paying client with exactly the sounds they seek. Call them up, schedule a few hours of recording sessions, lay down the guidelines you want to impose, and sit back while they go to work and create the stuff that you're guaranteed to like.

Personally, I doubt if you'll get acceptable creative sound production for 99 cents per finished recording, but hey, go for it.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    He says you shouldn't be able to buy single songs because you can't buy just one scene from a movie. Comparing albums to movies is apples to oranges. Because on the radio they play just one song off of an album, they don't play the whole album. In music, a song as a single entity IS relevant. To most people who listen to the radio, Jay-Z's music is presented in the single song format. However, no where is a movie presented as just a single scene. A single scene from a movie would have no context -- it would be out of place. But a single song -- for the most part -- is a single entity. i.e. each song is its own story. Of course there are exceptions -- certain albums, and even certain genres, present the album as one single entity and they are all tied into one story. I can understand the special circumstance those albums create, and those probably shouldn't be sold as single songs.

I would bet that Jay-Z, who doesn't want his albums sold as singles because it would diminish his artistic vision, has no problem with the radio playing just one song of his.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

Anyone caught using the iPhone by a knowledgeable official could face a fine, including Americans visiting the country."

The the CE label is required for local merchants to sell to the local public - only.

That would mean they cannot sell American versions wich would be the equivalent to "grey market goods" here.

No one can fine or confiscate American iPhones from any individual users including local citizens.

Though American phones might be restricted in use somewhat by local telephone carriers,

I agree that what you're saying is reasonable, & I thoroughly agree. I guess I'm just wanting to know if this is fact or opinion. That's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Is it EU law that my phone would be subject to confiscation by customs upon entering an EU country?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

Again, I don't know where you take that from. I talked to someone at the German Federal Net Agency (Bundesnetzagentur) that showed me the applicable laws. There it says that any device without CE mark is not to be sold or put in circulation or used. And the iPhone that I imported didn't have it. That's all I can say.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

I agree that what you're saying is reasonable, & I thoroughly agree. I guess I'm just wanting to know if this is fact or opinion. That's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Is it EU law that my phone would be subject to confiscation by customs upon entering an EU country?

This is fact and has always been. If you look back over the years this used to be a common problem with ALL "Grey Market" goods sold here. Sony grey market consumer electronics items (when Sony used to be king of the hill) were alway cheaper here and there was a market for these "illegal" items because they were much cheaper... The company always refused support for non American authorized versions. That's about all they could do to discourage buying grey market goods. They coukld also sanction dealers who sold it - but no more than that.

The iPhone is not contraband nor is it a weapon. Anyone is free to purchase it anywhere. Authorities are only concerned with standards concurence and have no right to confiscate or fine anyone usin them. Heck you could even bring your American left hand drive car over to th UK and drive it there (despite the Brits driving on the opposit side of the street) if you wanted - this is fact.