Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update for Leopard users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

When you say "we", who do you mean, because Apples support pages suggest that you DON'T unless you are experiencing difficulty.

Actually, some Apple engineers do recommend doing it.

Apple's pages don't recommend NOT doing it unless you're having problems, they simply say that you don't have to do it.

That's very different.

Saying that they're not recommending it because it's not required, and saying that they aren't recommending it because it could cause problems are very different things.

The fact is that is doesn't hurt to do it even though most of the time it accomplishes nothing.

I often recommend it to people who know little about the computer, on the off chance that some problem could be averted that they wouldn't understand, and could panic them (I've seen it happen).

There are rare occasions when an update, or upgrade will cause a Permissions error to occur. Mostly, when fixing permissions, if it doesn't take too long, it's worth the peace of mind.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

Repairing disk permissions is pure voodoo.

"We" suggest to drink a sip of water, burn a match, blow it out and touch the ground before running an update.

Just to be in peace with the four elements, you know...

That's BS.

This is one of those times when an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Or do you think that there are no such things as Permission errors?

Because if you do, you'd be wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    I downloaded Mac OS 10.5.1, installed it, rebooted, and my Mac recognized my Airport network. Yes!

In order to solve the problems I have with stacks, I installed the following utilities:

This makes some bins on top of the "always changing" icons, making them easy to tell apart:

http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

And this lets me have hierarchical folders on the dock again:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...&mode=feedback

It's a shame that I had to use third party products to have some functionality I used to have on 10.4, but I'll be happy to run 10.5 full time now.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    Hey guys, PAY ATTENTION, PLEASE.

I strongly recommend G5 users to download the full-110 MB 10.5.1 update.

When I started Leopard's update process to 10.5.1 using Software Update, it detected only the 39 MB-sized version.

All went on smoothly, except for a BIG and PAINFUL issue revealed after the update: I selected the Airport on the Finder's Shared Sidebar, then I double-clicked on the folder's icon that represents the hard drive connected to the Airport base via USB

Well..... it didn't show. The "segmented wheel" on the lower-right side of the Finder's window was spinning and spinning and spinning.

I decided to disconnect all the users from the disk connected to the Airport, then I rebooted the iMac and connected such disk on an iMac's USB port.

Disk Utility revealed a fatal corruption on the USB hard drive, nothing that could be corrected.

So I give Drive Genius a try: nothing at all, even REBUILDING the drive's structure.

REMEMBER: even if (see bold up here) I disconnected from the Airport disk using one of the most reliable ways (just because "eject" icon on Finder's window, the best way among the others, didn't work), all the drive's content was corrupted, unusable, impossible to open.

Then, when I decided to download the 110-sized update and installed it on the previous smaller one, everything FIXED. Now the external hard drive can be reached when connected to the Airport's USB port.

Please, check this out and tell me if anybody else has got the same results.

Thank you,

Luca.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esper_Wizard View Post

And this lets me have hierarchical folders on the dock again:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...&mode=feedback

YOU ROCK!!! Thanks so much. Getting rid of this was a very bad decision as far as I am concerned. Having the functionality back will be REALLY appreciated.
  • Reply 46 of 102
    Looking good here on a new MacBook and an older Intel Mini...

Transmission is WAY faster now than with 10.5...those firewall issues must have fixed it.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Yeah, guys, you might wana fix that, it's only 39mb.

39 millibits is on the small side.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've tested it 6 times. Restarts now take 2 minutes on my 2.8Ghz iMac, and each and every time I boot into 4 seconds of spinning beach ball, WTF?

After that things seem fine, so far, but what's up with the long restarts?
  • Reply 49 of 102
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I've tested it 6 times. Restarts now take 2 minutes on my 2.8Ghz iMac, and each and every time I boot into 4 seconds of spinning beach ball, WTF?

After that things seem fine, so far, but what's up with the long restarts?

Check spotlight to see if its indexing the drives, for some reason it reindexed mine which took super long.

Also, run disc utility theres probably some things messed up, I had a ton of things messed up.

Everything seems to work for me now though.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Check spotlight to see if its indexing the drives, for some reason it reindexed mine which took super long.

Also, run disc utility theres probably some things messed up, I had a ton of things messed up.

Everything seems to work for me now though.

Still the same, still 2 minutes or there abouts.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Have you tried reinstalling the update from Apple's download site?

Edit:

As an example, my 2.0GHz C2D w/a 5400RPM HDD now takes 23 seconds to reach the login-in screen, whereas before it took 28 seconds. Pretty good increase.

However, my keychain issues have returned when I turned on automatic syncing in .Mac again. Clearly Apple is still working out issues with .Mac. Should it really be that hard?
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

When you say "we", who do you mean, because Apples support pages suggest that you DON'T unless you are experiencing difficulty.

My apologies. We, i.e., my tech staff, myself and all the clients, staff and students I'm associated with.

I would suggest that you do a little more research. A great article can be found on Macworld, http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/secr...ions/index.php and from Apple: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

However, there are some who have opposite views. But in our own defense, I, we, have more than not found repairing permissions after an update or particularly on machines run by dumpers, i.e., users who have a bad habit of dumping and downloading everything on to the desktop, move applications out of or all over the place and/or load multiple copies of applications, utilities and even OS's without regard.

As Cicero said, ?Never go to excess, but let moderation be your guide.?
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:

Go drink a few pints.

Check the System logs for errors.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    Quote:

You may want to have a look here: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sbbod.html.

Even check out your login items. Are they all Leopard compatible?
  • Reply 55 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Go drink a few pints.

At 3am? Besides, I'm more of a wine guy these days.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    What's this in System > Library > User Template?

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

• Reply 57 of 102
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My 24" Al iMac takes FOREVER to shut down (if it is able too) and takes about twice as long ~45+ seconds to boot compared to the near 23 second boot time before.

I expected more from .1.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Software update freezes when I try download the 39 meg update, needing to be force quit. More disturbing is when I try to download the 110 meg version I get a "disk cannot be mounted" error after about 19 megs is downloaded.

Rather disturbing, especially considering I haven't had any major problems with leopard to date ....

--

12" 1.33 PB G4
  • Reply 59 of 102
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Regarding the iMac freezing issue, today Apple released this:

Quote:

"iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0

About iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0

This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac Software Update 1.2.1 or Leopard with iMac Software Update 1.3.

It updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro to improve system stability."

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate10.html
  • Reply 60 of 102
    After updating to 10.5.1 I ran permissions verify and got a lot of warnings that look like this (only with real filenames of course)

Warning: SUID file "xxx/xxxxxx/xxxxx" has been modified and will not be repaired.

For kicks I ran repair permissions and got the same result: a lot of files that have "been modified and will not be repaired."

I'm guessing this isn't something to get too concerned about as everything appears to be running smoothly.

Any ideas???