New iMac - buy now?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there,



I'm planning to order an iMac tomorrow but I'm afraid of those freezing issues, bad screens etc. Do they still affect the 20" 2,0 GHz iMac? If I'm planning to leave the country, should I unbox my iMac before to check if it's OK? And what about 10.5.1, is it already shipping?



Thanks in advance!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iZune G5 View Post


    Hi there,



    I'm planning to order an iMac tomorrow but I'm afraid of those freezing issues, bad screens etc. Do they still affect the 20" 2,0 GHz iMac? If I'm planning to leave the country, should I unbox my iMac before to check if it's OK? And what about 10.5.1, is it already shipping?



    Thanks in advance!



    But correct me if I'm wrong but, from what I've heard, the freezing issue doesn't affect the 2.0Ghz iMac.

    Your iMac should be fine, you can take it out to look at it if you want but it shouldn't really matter.

    10.5.1 is shipping on all new mac's.



    Hope this helps,

    Parker
  • Reply 2 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,570member
    My new 24" iMac had one dead pixel, Apple asserted they we're going to replace it. My new new one arrived today, the fucking thing is in a Tiger box, with Tiger installed. Apple can go shove it if they think I'm taking it. Give me my fucking Leo iMac already.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I honestly wouldn't reccomend it. If I were you, I'd buy an older white iMac. That's what I did. Now I don't have to worry about any of the stupid problems with the newer model.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    I honestly wouldn't reccomend it. If I were you, I'd buy an older white iMac. That's what I did. Now I don't have to worry about any of the stupid problems with the newer model.



    Those issues are overblown. I haven't had one.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Congrats, you're the FIRST person I've heard of not having issues with the new iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    Congrats, you're the FIRST person I've heard of not having issues with the new iMac.



    This is strange, the aluminium iMac is virtually identical to the older white one. I cannot see how changing the enclosure and using a less powerful GPU (so less heat -- in theory at least) could create so many problems. Well, apart the well documented one with the freezing that seems already fixed.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Different enclosure. That can change a hell lot in terms of thermics.

    Then again, there are numerous reports, that the latest Firmware update fixed the freezing issues, so it's probably a non-issue by now.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    This is strange, the aluminium iMac is virtually identical to the older white one. I cannot see how changing the enclosure and using a less powerful GPU (so less heat -- in theory at least) could create so many problems. Well, apart the well documented one with the freezing that seems already fixed.



    You left out the huge screen discoloration problem that is present on 95% of all of the new 20" iMacs. Not to mention the disturbingly high dead/stuck pixel rate.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    Congrats, you're the FIRST person I've heard of not having issues with the new iMac.



    Count me the SECOND if you like, and I am enjoying every moment with the new iMac experiencing no prob at all. Plus all the freeze issues have been solved with the latest update.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post


    Different enclosure. That can change a hell lot in terms of thermics.

    Then again, there are numerous reports, that the latest Firmware update fixed the freezing issues, so it's probably a non-issue by now.



    That's exactly why I believe it was not a heat issue and my question stands.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    You left out the huge screen discoloration problem that is present on 95% of all of the new 20" iMacs. Not to mention the disturbingly high dead/stuck pixel rate.



    It is well documented that the new 20" model has a display inferior to what it replaced. The 24" though is high grade.



    But where the 95% figure comes from?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Let's just say it was a safe estimate, considering I've only read one positive thing about the new iMac ever, and that happens to be in this thread.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    That's exactly why I believe it was not a heat issue and my question stands.





    It is well documented that the new 20" model has a display inferior to what it replaced. The 24" though is high grade.



    But where the 95% figure comes from?



    Well, you know, 9/10 statistics are made up...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    Let's just say it was a safe estimate, considering I've only read one positive thing about the new iMac ever, and that happens to be in this thread.



    You do know that people having problems are much, much more vocal than people who aren't having problems, and how much just counting complaints can distort reality?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    Congrats, you're the FIRST person I've heard of not having issues with the new iMac.



    you're an idiot
  • Reply 15 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _ alliance _ View Post


    you're an idiot



    Chill man.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    well, ignore anyone that jumped to conclusions with their layout mat from office space...



    the new alum iMac is amazing. they updated the graphics card and everything runs perfectly fine.



    don't buy an old white one, you'll just be slowing yourself down.



    i would suggest getting a RAM update (eventually/after a while and not from apple) if you buy any iMac with 1GB in it.



    but yeah, buy it up, its amazing =].
  • Reply 17 of 24
    The alu iMac is amazing. Apart from the lame GPU.



    It's a beautiful machine. A great all in one. But I'd wait for the Penryn bump and AMD have release cooler running GPUs that perform much better than the current 'disaster' (it's not totally bad...but for a machine with a high end price...where is a high end gpu option? Only APple...)



    Wait until San Fran Macworld.



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...850-review.ars



    For the better gpus coming up...



    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

    Power consumption, conclusion

    ATI HD 3850 ATI HD 3870 XFX 8800GT ATI2900XT

    Power consumption?idle

    Watts 100 106 132 155

    Power consumption?load

    Watts 205 220 275 315



    Power consumption was measured at the wall using a Kill-A-Watt meter. Power consumption under load was measured during the Canyon Flight test in 3DMark 2006. That particular test draws more power than any of the benchmark runs I observed, which is why I've used it. Aero Glass was shut off for all idle power testing.



    The ATI 3850 and 3870 are every bit the power sippers ATI claimed they would be, drawing just 100W and 105W at the wall in idle mode. The 2900XT, in contrast, draws 50 percent more power while doing nothing, at 155W. At least some of this improvement is likely due to ATI's PowerPlay technology, which is present on the HD 3800 series as well as the company's upcoming Mobility Radeon 2000 parts.



    Under load the standings don't change. At 275W, the 8800GT uses a fair bit more power than either of the 3800 series, but falls well short of the 2900XT at 315W.



    Surely we could have Apple include one of these for the iMac? As an option?



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I bought an 20" 2.0GHz iMac a few weeks ago and I love it. It came with Tiger pre-installed and a Leopard upgrade CD in the box, which is great because it gives me the choice of running either version.



    I have heard people comaplain about the screen, but I find it hard to fault. It certainly beats any budget LCD that you typically see in homes and offices these days. It's on a par with the professonal HP screen that I was using until the Mac came along.
Sign In or Register to comment.