AT&T chief confirms 3G iPhone on the way

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If iPhone sales weren't flat on black Friday they sure will be for the rest of the holiday season. What bad timing to make that announcement! That just shows how AT&T was a bad choice for a carrier. Who would buy an iPhone at this time now? And I agreee it will be for the same price and with 16G.

I agree. This was a stupid move. WHy announce what you are obviously going to have. Now idiots are going to have a reason to wait and then get pissed when it's not released in January.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't regret ordering the present 8GB model (?270). I'm going to let that tied me over until there's a 32GB HSDPA version in 2009.

I don't regret my 8GB iPhone, but I'm going to let that tied me over until there's a 64GB WiMAX version in 2011.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I bet users can expect a different rate plan with 3G = higher.
  • Reply 23 of 117
    Why would they be idiots for wanting to wait for a 3G phone?\

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree. This was a stupid move. WHy announce what you are obviously going to have. Now idiots are going to have a reason to wait and then get pissed when it's not released in January.

I don't regret my 8GB iPhone, but I'm going to let that tied me over until there's a 64GB WiMAX version in 2011.

• Reply 24 of 117
    My rate didn't change, when my phone went from Edge to 3G .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I bet users can expect a different rate plan with 3G = higher.

• Reply 25 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Why would they be idiots for wanting to wait for a 3G phone?\

Idiots = People that were going tomake a purchase but are now not going to make a purchase based on this information and then get pissed at Apple when a 3G model isn't a available in early 2008.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markus1982 View Post

I think our US-located friends are seeing things a little too US-centric here.

It's not a question of 3G-coverage in the US, it's about the rest of the world, especially Asia and Europe with much more advanced 3G networks.

If the reason for this was to satisfy Europe, then why would the announcement come from AT&T?

I'm also very skeptical of any iPhone announcement that doesn't come from Apple. AT&T says "coming real soon" and Apple says "when we can get chipsets that fit our power requirements, hopefully by the end of next year". I think AT&T is announcing their own wishful thinking here.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    Gotcha, taking rumor as truth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Idiots = People that were going tomake a purchase but are now not going to make a purchase based on this information and then get pissed at Apple when a 3G model isn't a available in early 2008.

• Reply 28 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Second: Current iPhone is awesome, hard to believe people would wait another 8 months (more likely 10) for product that is more or less the same (1.5x effective network speed and GPS in case you have no clue where you are in the world). The next one will be better but...I already cant believe how well the current one works and its associated software is and it will be getting better as time goes on as (unlike virtually every other phone out there) its a software driven device and can be substantially upgraded through updates. Waiting more than 3-4months for a product makes little sense imo unless its a major upgrade.

well it depends where you're living. In most parts of Asia 3G is totally standard, the 2G people are running off the ends of their contracts and being given free phones to sign up for 3G at the same rates. A non 3G phone here won't even work in Japan, lots of people in Asia travel to Japan for work, a lot of people here (Singapore) went 3G as quickly as possible just because their phones were then truly universal. They're 900/1800/1900 for the US and the rest of the world GSM and 3G for japan.

A 2G phone here is a total dinosaur. I love apple but I'll wait 8 months or 10 months or 20 months if necessary until they release a 3G version. I have a 3G phone, I have a number of iPods, I have it covered at this point, until the iPhone has ALL the features I need, 3G phone, 16G or more iPod, I'm downgrading if I take it and that's pointless.

3G isn't software, it's hardware, memory capacity too. I agree everything else can be fixed later, but I for one think that 3G is a major upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 117
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markus1982 View Post

Please understand, the iPhones lack of 3G got criticised most in countries, were 3G is practically standard and using EDGE means going back to the stone ages. Over here, virtually any other phone except the iPhone has 3G capabilities.

3G is highly overrated. People buy 3G phones because they think it is so much better and then complain about the ridiculous costs and the terrible battery life of their phones...

I would love to see some figures on how many people who have a 3G phone actually use anything on the phone that require 3G.. from what I hear from my Euro friends, once they had their 3G phones for 2 or 3 weeks, or whenever they received their first bill, their opinion on 3G changed drastically.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    Steve Jobs doesn't see the battery life for 3g being sufficient till "Late next year" thats November or December. So start saving up for xmas 08.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjharary View Post

Steve Jobs doesn't see the battery life for 3g being sufficient till "Late next year" thats November or December. So start saving up for xmas 08.

Nahh - if there is one thing for sure with technology - prices wont go up. ou just get more bang for your buck (or Euro)

I guess my E50 just got a 12 month stay of execution. Somehow it ain't half bad anymore
  • Reply 32 of 117
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by essential View Post

Does anyone think the new iPhone will have a slide out keyboard? All the companies that put out ?iPhone like? phones with touchsceens etc all have slide out keyboards. Think Apple will cave to this, or stay true to the current form and just upgrade the insides?

Not a chance in hell. The whole point of the MultiTouch software is to rely on virtual devices, why would they go back to physical devices. Second; Slide out keyboards introduce a reliability issue.

Dave
  • Reply 33 of 117
    3G is not overrated. Skype and Vtap are the two main programs I use with 3G. Web surfing is very fast. Video streaming from Cingular video actually works with out the beach ball of death. Google Maps works much better with 3G. I could continue, but I'll just say 3G is not overrated. Battery life isn't terrible. It all depends on how often you like to charge your battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

3G is highly overrated. People buy 3G phones because they think it is so much better and then complain about the ridiculous costs and the terrible battery life of their phones...

I would love to see some figures on how many people who have a 3G phone actually use anything on the phone that require 3G.. from what I hear from my Euro friends, once they had their 3G phones for 2 or 3 weeks, or whenever they received their first bill, their opinion on 3G changed drastically.

• Reply 34 of 117
    This might be another reason why the iPhone is delayed in Canada. Rogers started to roll out new 3G services across the country this fall.

CBC French interviewed back in August 07 Sylvie Charette, Rogers,

"This technology (3G) that faster will grant us access to different services and faster data rates for Internet and of course, it will carry a new tarification to bring the accessibility even bigger."

Link:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-vid...ROGERS07_m.asx
  • Reply 35 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not a chance in hell. The whole point of the MultiTouch software is to rely on virtual devices, why would they go back to physical devices. Second; Slide out keyboards introduce a reliability issue.

I agree. If Apple did that then they'd also have to release different physical keyboards for different countries/regions. Not very Apple-like.
  • Reply 36 of 117
    ATT's craptastic photo messaging server blows. It never works. That's the one signficant thing I miss from my Treo, being able to send/receive photos within a text message.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. will introduce a version of the iPhone next year that can download from the Internet at a rate much faster than the existing version, AT&T Inc. chief executive Randall Stephenson confirmed Wednesday.

"You'll have it next year," he said...

SJ - "We've got to see the battery lives for 3G get back up into the five-plus-hour range,'' he said at the time. "Hopefully we'll see that late next year.'"

Next Year or some time within the next 365 days.

Anyone out there want to conjure up a time frame they think Apple will produce this 3G iPhone and AT&T will provide more 3G coverage and when all this will roll out and be intorduce to the public for sale?
  • Reply 38 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Anyone out there want to conjure up a time frame they think Apple will produce this 3G iPhone and AT&T will provide more 3G coverage and when all this will roll out and be intorduce to the public for sale?

I'm going with September of 2008.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

If iPhone sales weren't flat on black Friday they sure will be for the rest of the holiday season. What bad timing to make that announcement! That just shows how AT&T was a bad choice for a carrier. Who would buy an iPhone at this time now? And I agreee it will be for the same price and with 16G.

There is nothing new about this. Jobs said the iPhone would eventually get 3G when he first announced it at MW07. At the UK launch he reiterated to expect the iPhone to have 3G by late 2008.

Quote:

Steve Jobs doesn't see the battery life for 3g being sufficient till "Late next year" thats November or December.

From what I understand that is the point there will be sufficient supply of 3G chips that allow the iPhone to have its current battery life.

Quote:

Do you think they will let existing iPhone owners buy the updated 3G without a contract extension?

If you loose or break your iPhone and you are within a contract it is already possible to activate a new iPhone without a contract extension.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

3G is highly overrated. People buy 3G phones because they think it is so much better and then complain about the ridiculous costs and the terrible battery life of their phones..

I agree as I have 3G, and it is not all that much better, or faster.