It's official: third Manhattan Apple flagship to open Dec 7

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While Apple has yet to issue its routine press release, large acrylic bills posted near the site of the company's nearly complete flagship retail store on West 14th Street in Manhattan are announcing a grand opening on December 7.

The large store (1, 2, 3, 4) at the corner of 9th Avenue and 14th Street in the heart of the city's Meatpacking District will be spread over two levels connected by a spiral glass staircase, which is already installed (photo below).

Apple will occupy the highly-visible corner space in the store, with at least two other tenants taking up other spaces in the building. Like Apple's other stores on the island, the architecture at this location will be distinctive and won't include a stainless steel exterior. Rather, it will be mostly large framed windows and masonry.

The December 7th date was first reported by our friends over at ifoAppleStore earlier in the week. A big thanks also goes out AppleInsider reader, Eric, for snapping the below photo, and Curbed for the photo of the glass staircase (also below).

A concept rendering of the renovated retail space at 14th Street and 9th Avenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Pearl Harbor Day!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I actually enjoy the news on the new Apple stores as Apple places an emphasis on art and architecture...so few do.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I hope those 2 beautiful states get an Apple Store on every corner so no one there ever has to walk more than a block to get to Apple merchandise. They deserve it...the rest of us can just come and visit them ever once in awhile.

/
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Yay, that day is marked on my calendar. Now I'm just waiting for one in Brooklyn. (We better get one before Queens)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I love the photo of the glass staircase - it looks like a crime scene.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

I hope those 2 beautiful states get an Apple Store on every corner so no one there ever has to walk more than a block to get to Apple merchandise. They deserve it...the rest of us can just come and visit them ever once in awhile.

/

yeah, they do a pretty sick job of making lots in one place and forgetting oh... 48 other states?

• Reply 7 of 13
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Bad location, bad location.

Not a retail location but a nightlife, bar hopping one- except for the haute couture wannabees.

Tons of better choices throughout Manhattan. Apple- why?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You mean to say nobody can take a photo of the whole building?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple is a joke!

They have to get you in one of their big old bldgs and brainwash you!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not a retail location but a nightlife, bar hopping one- except for the haute couture wannabees.

Maybe Apple needed easy access to the Hudson River, so they could ship boatloads of merchandise to NYC, or maybe the proximity of the river park makes it more attractive to them? or maybe they want to start selling iBoats?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

yeah, they do a pretty sick job of making lots in one place and forgetting oh... 48 other states?

There are lots of Apple Stores in New Jersey!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

The MeatPacking district has day life. Lots of art galleries and photography studios. Currently thousands of new apartments and hotel rooms are being built bringing new life.

The retail in the MeatPacking District conists of Madison/5th Avenue high end boutiques. Diane Von Furstenburg (dresses), Stella McCartney (clothes), La Perla (lingerie), Vitra (modern furniture) and many others.

Its not even so much about what the Meat Packing District is today. It will be a very different place 5 years from now, as it is very different today than it was 5 years ago.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Man, you have to be a complete moron if you think you know how to pick better store locations than Apple's retail gurus. I can't really think of an instance of them missing (except for mini-stores). This store will likely surpass SOHO in revenue very quickly.