OWC brand memory

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I hope you were able to do a chargeback on that.

Anyway, OWC has been good for me in the past. Seeing that the price is very low, I think I'll have to upgrade soon too.

Just my two cents worth, but you might want to consider "matching" by brand. For example, I have a MPB 17 which maxes out at 3GBs.

The first 2GB SDRAM I purchased met the specs, but didn't play well with some apps.

When I purchased a second one from OWC this time, and "matched" the 2GB SDRAM by purchasing another Samsung module (to match the factory). all was well.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I've been intrigued by the drop in memory price, and have been watching OWC 4GB kit (for an iMac). Ten days ago, it was $125. Today, it is $109.

Down from about $269 a couple of months ago.

4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit with Micron devices for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, .......

Brand: Other World Computing

OWC Item # OWC53IM2DDR4GBK

\t$109.00
  • Reply 23 of 37
    My OWC RAM arrived today--2 GB for my MacBook shipped for $58--I will install it tomorrow. Every time I have dealt with OWC the experience has been pleasant.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    I've had one failure, out of about 10 purchases of OWC RAM. They took care of it right away, with one phone call, & I had it replaced in about 4 days. OWC and Small Dog are the most personable, reliable online Mac stuff sellers on the web.

CV Seal of Approval™
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

My OWC RAM arrived today--2 GB for my MacBook shipped for $58--I will install it tomorrow. Every time I have dealt with OWC the experience has been pleasant.

Installed the RAM this morning and its all good to go. Now my MacBook is running with 2 gigs of goodness.

Best part is returning the old RAM to OWC for a rebate ($8 currently) which will net out the upgrade to about $50. Very reasonable indeed.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Installed the RAM this morning and its all good to go. Now my MacBook is running with 2 gigs of goodness.

Best part is returning the old RAM to OWC for a rebate ($8 currently) which will net out the upgrade to about $50. Very reasonable indeed.

Relative to the cost of the machine, it's not much of a refund. In the past, I've kept the old memory because if it needs service, I swap the old memory back in first. Then the Apple techs can't say it's the third party memory. Keeping the old memory helps serve as a diagnostic aid too.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Relative to the cost of the machine, it's not much of a refund. In the past, I've kept the old memory because if it needs service, I swap the old memory back in first. Then the Apple techs can't say it's the third party memory. Keeping the old memory helps serve as a diagnostic aid too.

True enough. I may hold onto it for the reasons you stated.

Thanks for the input.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Excellent ram and in general, and excellent company!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I bought 2 gigs of RAM for my MacBook Pro with no problems and a great price.

I have one of their processesor upgrades that gave me loads of problems multiple times but this last time they went above and beyond in resolving it and the results have been great.

I'm probably going to be ordering some more ram and another processor upgrade from them for Christmas for the wife. Her G4@450 is getting a bit too slow for... pretty much anyone. I'll try to get another 18-24 months out of it with the upgrade.

Nick
  • Reply 30 of 37
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    4 GB RAM broke $100.00 today:

4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit with Micron devices for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, Core ... more

Brand: Other World Computing

OWC Item # OWC53IM2DDR4GBK \t $99.97
  • Reply 31 of 37
    I finally added on some memory, 8GB for a Mac Pro, due to OWC's recent price reductions. And amazingly, I still had some page-outs.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

I finally added on some memory, 8GB for a Mac Pro, due to OWC's recent price reductions. And amazingly, I still had some page-outs.

Actually, I'm not surprised. My little MacBook has 2 GB and with just Safari, Mail, Finder (of course), Vienna and Yojimbo open I have only 703 MB free according to my iStatPro widget. If I opened PhotoShop (which I do use on my MacBook from time-to-time), I would be paging out like crazy.

I expect you have many more open apps than I do.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Which proves how much of a memory hog is Mac OS X. It will eat whatever you throw it in memory. But I suppose you did not have open the whole world of available applications.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I expect you have many more open apps than I do.

The number of open applications is one thing. Applications that "leak" over time is another. And web browsers are notorious in that.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

The number of open applications is one thing. Applications that "leak" over time is another. And web browsers are notorious in that.

Ah, yes, my unrequited love affair with Safari. It love it and it steals all my precious memory.

C'est l'amor.

And iTunes, don't think I don't see ewe. Always stepping out with RAM when I'm not looking.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

Which proves how much of a memory hog is Mac OS X. It will eat whatever you throw it in memory. But I suppose you did not have open the whole world of available applications.

I am running more open applications, but they are ones that I do use on a semi-regular basis. I usually use each of the open apps several times a week.

I also turned on Dashboard again and have five widgets in there, or whatever they're called.

Exposé and Dashboard don't stutter like they used to when being activated.

I also wanted memory to spare in case I want to do some virtualization.

Quote:

I'm entirely non-committal on that as well, I use three different browsers. Each one does things that I want in certain cases that doesn't work too well in just one program.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    OWC brand memory has been in every Mac I've owned since my Beige G3. Right now I've got 8GB of OWC branded FB-DIMMs in my Mac Pro.I highly recommend it and I've never had to take advantage of their lifetime guarantee.