First builds of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Update due shortly

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Continuing to refine its recently-released Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system at a rapid pace, Mac maker Apple Inc. will soon begin testing the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say developers could receive an initial test build as early as this week. Mac OS X 10.5.2 will serve as the second maintenance and security update to Leopard since the software went on sale in late October.

Thus far, details of what to expect from the 10.5.2 update are unknown, though rumors published last month by MacBidouille suggested the software was being positioned for a release alongside new hardware at next month's Macworld Expo.

The Mac news and rumor publication cited sources who said the update would be instrumental to the launch of Apple's new Penryn-based 45-nanometer Mac Pro workstations -- the same systems which AppleInsider said earlier this year would clock up to the 3.2GHz via two quad-core Intel "Harpertown" Xeon chips.

MacBidouille said Apple is reworking some of Leopard's codebase via Mac OS X 10.5.2 to optimize it for the SSE4 instructions found within the new Penryn chips and the Penryn architecture as a whole, both of which promise speed gains above and beyond clock speed boosts.

The current version of Leopard is Mac OS X 10.5.1, which was released a little over a month ago. Since then, Apple has begun updating all retail copies of Leopard to include the enhancements and bug fixes delivered by that release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Resolution Independence maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Turn on your combatible coffee machine via Bluetooth in 10.5.2 ?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moukkis View Post

not to sound like an ignorant fool (which I will anyway) but there are such things as bluetooth coffee makers?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Come on new Mac Pros!!!! I've been waiting so long for you... and now I actually can afford one!!! Don't leave me hanging!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moukkis View Post

Will that be via an iCal Event

So what you're saying is that Apple will move to support JAVA in a whole new way?

I hope to score a new 24" iMac to replace my 20" G5 although i like my G5 better then my Intel at work, both running Leopard. (G5 with 2GB vs. 1GB Intel) RAM is KING!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Is Clang and LLVM suppose to save most of these optimazation procedures?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    3.2 ghz by summer!!

or something.

• Reply 8 of 26
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

not to sound like an ignorant fool (which I will anyway) but there are such things as bluetooth coffee makers?

And are they "combatible" (and not "compatible")
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Anyone know if we'll be able to drop a Penryn chip into the new iMacs?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Actually, a Bluetooth coffee maker that could interface with iCal would be awesome. Imagine being able to set it for different times on different days.

I would love to see more appliances have Bluetooth functionality.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I'd love to see things actually work correctly like, oh, remembering my Airport network settings or Safari not crashing when connecting to an ISA proxy server.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Non-news news.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Does your iMac have a ZIF Socket? Or is it soldered on the board? What you find out will answer your question.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Provided you drill a large enough hole? Sure!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

3.2 ghz by summer!! or something.

January 15 SteveNote.
    Quote:

More power by selling your iMac and buying the Montevina iMac Summer '08.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    List view is back in 10.5.2, gentlemen !

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/983
  • Reply 17 of 26
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

List view is back in 10.5.2, gentlemen !

Excellent!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    It would be nice to see a list of what is going to be fixed with 10.5.2 update.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    All i want is for my printer (Lexmark x7550) to work with leopard on the 2.4ghz imac 2g ram (aluminium) It won't work wireless but works wireless on my pc
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I know a lot of this has to do with it being the holiday season, but I'm surprised by the lack of information present regarding the updates included in 10.5.2. Hopefully as we get into January we'll start to see everyone pitching in some more information regarding the release. I've heard some mention that it'll be considerably substantial and will be something that everyone ought to look forward to, yet I?ve heard others suggest that it?s not going to have anything interesting in it, just bug fixes.

I guess we?ll all find out more on the 15th.