Letdown?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 212
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

The base model MBA on the French Applestore is 1699 Euro... that is $2500!!!! For the base model.

Good luck selling those Steve.

Let's be fair here. Without tax, the base model is 1404 euros, around $2080 today. US price is $1800, so we talk about $280 more, which of course is too much. I wonder why Apple did not adjust the prices for the exchange rate. Now is the time. This may really slow down their sales in Europe, if it is not already the case.
  • Reply 142 of 212
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

Dude, you have no idea how much non-Americans despise your president & the kind of impact that has on consumers' willingness to buy American products or holiday in your country. It's a fact. Get over it.

Dude, I live in NYC and the place has been totally filled with European tourists. More than I have ever seen. SOHO feels like a continental city. Your "facts" are merely anecdotal.

As for your dislike of our president, thanks for your input. We will be changing him shortly. That's the process that we have come up with and it's worked mostly pretty well since 1776. Take your political opinions to the proper forum please. That would be apple outsider.

Cheers.
  • Reply 143 of 212
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I think it really effects sales now. I know I have not bought lots of items because of this...

I know that were it not for the huge markup on Macbooks, I'd be using one for my scond machine at the moment, and my family would have bought 3+. Instead, I bought a PC notebook, (of a better spec), for half the cash. I just couldn't justify the 'Apple EU Markup'. For example, I wanted a base model Macbook...

Price - 1049 Euro. Without the Tax, 880 Euro.

If we convert that 880 Euro in to $... we get $1305! Already over $200 more than the US model!

If we look at the price including tax, it works out at $1550. Sorry, but it is just too much...
  • Reply 144 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

And what British products are selling out in the US? Trust me, I'd kill for an Aston Martin DB9, but what else?

You're getting way off my point anyways.

nope. your point was to defend your idiot-in-charge & my point was to tell you he's a big reason you're fucked.

the air is still a disappointment to pro users. i hope an mbp air comes out soon. that ain't whining; it's telling the manufacturer there's a market he ain't tapped: see it as helpful.
  • Reply 145 of 212
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    But every time MWSF or any other ultrahyped Mac event that comes along that doesn't introduce an mid-priced, mid-tower will be a letdown.
  • Reply 146 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

But every time MWSF or any other ultrahyped Mac event that comes along that doesn't introduce an mid-priced, mid-tower will be a letdown.

For the better or the worse, the message I gather from Apple is that such a computer concept is already R.I.P.
  • Reply 147 of 212
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

When apple released a Mac Pro with only one cpu for $500 less, I think that was a signal they've no intention of releasing an xMac.

The entry level MP is the xMac.
  • Reply 148 of 212
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

When apple released a Mac Pro with only one cpu for $500 less, I think that was a signal they've no intention of releasing an xMac.

The entry level MP is the xMac.

$2300 (another $150 price increase) is not anywhere near entry level unless you're making six digits or are some spoiled doctors/ lawyers kid who needs not understand a budget. Apple is very lucky that Microsoft is as clueless on operation systems as they are when it comes to practical hardware. You have a lot of long time PowerMac users who aren't anywhere near happy with Apple right now.
  • Reply 149 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

nope. your point was to defend your idiot-in-charge & my point was to tell you he's a big reason you're fucked.

the air is still a disappointment to pro users. i hope an mbp air comes out soon. that ain't whining; it's telling the manufacturer there's a market he ain't tapped: see it as helpful.

You obviously can't read. I wasn't defending Bush. I'm just telling you that any sitting President can't, and doesn't, control what everyone is blaming Bush for. Reread it and then come back in to the conversation. And how is it exaclty that I'm fucked, because of Bush? I still have a job, in fact I'm retiring from it in 6 months at the age of 38. How bout you?
  • Reply 150 of 212
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...g_vinb_gglsrch

Sony TZ is the target. $2,099-$3,699.99.

You are kidding right? $1799 is inexpensive in comparison.

Oh...Sony uses the GMA 950 and a slower processor in the base model.

In either case way to much money for what you get. Mac Book Vacuum is going to suck no matter how you cut it. You just get to little for the money you invest. Way to little.

Frankly a lot of people have been saying they are going to buy one, they have the right to do so, but I suspect that these purchases won't be long term once they realize just how limited the Vacuum is. Expect to see used Vacuums going for a song.
  • Reply 151 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...g_vinb_gglsrch

Sony TZ is the target. $2,099-$3,699.99.

You are kidding right? $1799 is inexpensive in comparison.

Oh...Sony uses the GMA 950 and a slower processor in the base model.

In either case way to much money for what you get. Mac Book Vacuum is going to suck no matter how you cut it. You just get to little for the money you invest. Way to little.

Frankly a lot of people have been saying they are going to buy one, they have the right to do so, but I suspect that these purchases won't be long term once they realize just how limited the Vacuum is. Expect to see used Vacuums going for a song.

Dave
  • Reply 152 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

I still have a job, in fact I'm retiring from it in 6 months at the age of 38.

What do you mean, you don't need to work again for the rest of your life?
  • Reply 153 of 212
    I'm confused. What exactly won't you be able to do with the Macbook Air that you can do with a Macbook?
  • Reply 154 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

What do you mean, you don't need to work again for the rest of your life?

No, just that I'll be retired at the age of 38. And seeing as how I'm going to live another 100 years, there's time enough for another job. I was thinking about being the youngest door greeter in WalMart history.
  • Reply 155 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No. Try again. Go compare a Sony TZ series laptop (the MacBook Air's competition) to this, then come back here.

What is it about people not understanding it doesn't matter!!! First; it is not like the TZ is a hot seller or any ultra for that matter. This is directly related to the value equation, people look at what they get for the price and hurl. Second; Vacuum is so short on features that it is literally unusable for many people. Even Sony saw fit to keep the I/O complement up.

The problem is this: Apple had a chance here to show that they could lead the market with respect to properly valued hardware. They didn't so screw them. The only machine this Vacuum should be compared to is the ASUS EEE PC. That machine demonstrates fully what the value of the underlying hardware is. Yeah Yeah Yeah the Vacuum has a Core 2 Duo, frankly it doesn't matter either. The clock rate and Core 2 at bests would raise the price above a Eee PC by a couple of hundred dollars. So Apple is selling a $700 PC for $1700, great let me bend over now so Apple can leave with a smile.

Dave
  • Reply 156 of 212
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is it about people not understanding it doesn't matter!!! First; it is not like the TZ is a hot seller or any ultra for that matter. This is directly related to the value equation, people look at what they get for the price and hurl. Second; Vacuum is so short on features that it is literally unusable for many people. Even Sony saw fit to keep the I/O complement up.

The problem is this: Apple had a chance here to show that they could lead the market with respect to properly valued hardware. They didn't so screw them. The only machine this Vacuum should be compared to is the ASUS EEE PC. That machine demonstrates fully what the value of the underlying hardware is. Yeah Yeah Yeah the Vacuum has a Core 2 Duo, frankly it doesn't matter either. The clock rate and Core 2 at bests would raise the price above a Eee PC by a couple of hundred dollars. So Apple is selling a $700 PC for $1700, great let me bend over now so Apple can leave with a smile.

The only machine the MacBook Air should be compared to is the EEE PC? Because that's the only one that you think makes it look expensive? Let's ignore the fact that the EEE PC is another class of product entirely!

So, you want Apple to come out with an EEE PC equivalent. Great. I agree that if that's what they'd done and they were charging $1799 for it, that would be really, really dumb. As it happens, the only dumb thing here is your argument.
  • Reply 157 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Erm ...

1) History dictates that AAPL drops after keynote.

2) US Economy is in the shits, right now.

The market is speaking very loudly and you blame that on the economy in general! The share holders are responding because there was nothing of substance debuted hardware wise except for the NAS. Let us not forget that Apple is a hardware company and as such needs to reflect that form time to time.

One can only hope that Apple has plans in the next few weeks, maybe even few days, to get on the ball hardware wise. If not their stock will certainly take a battering.

Dave
  • Reply 158 of 212
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

$2300 (another $150 price increase) is not anywhere near entry level unless you're making six digits or are some spoiled doctors/ lawyers kid who needs not understand a budget. Apple is very lucky that Microsoft is as clueless on operation systems as they are when it comes to practical hardware. You have a lot of long time PowerMac users who aren't anywhere near happy with Apple right now.

Exactly. I just priced a Dell XPS 420 and with monitor, a better GPU and lots of other goodies. It comes in at $2000, whereas the MacPro needs a monitor, has no TV tuner, etc. I know, it still has the Mac OS and that's the only reason I keep considering a Mac and thought that maybe Apple would want my business and listen to all the others who would but an XMac in a heatbeat. I guess not
  • Reply 159 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The only machine the MacBook Air should be compared to is the EEE PC? Because that's the only one that you think makes it look expensive? Let's ignore the fact that the EEE PC is another class of product entirely!

No silly, I'm trying to compare the machine to something that actually has been successful in the market place. A far more reasonable approach than comparing it against another failed ultra mobile PC.

I'd als argue that the Eee is not that much different class wise as you seem to believe. Eee PC is actually smartly appointed with I/O and memory expansion. The rational question them becomes if the tiny Eee PC can be built with expansion capability why can't the Vacuum? This is really what you and the other vacuum supporters need to focus on. Why so little for the money charged?

By the way don't blame it on the processor and display as that only covers a couple of hundred over Eee's price and certainly doesn't cover why so much is missing from the Vacuum.

Quote:

So, you want Apple to come out with an EEE PC equivalent. Great.

Nope that is far from what I want. In the case of the Vacuum though it is a simple question of how can ASUS pack so much into that little machine and sell it at a reasonable price and Apple can't even come close at 4 times the price. The Vacuums lack of acceptance comes not from its price but rather what you are getting for that price. Or I should say not getting.

Quote:

I agree that if that's what they'd done and they were charging $1799 for it, that would be really, really dumb. As it happens, the only dumb thing here is your argument.

Clearly you are not grasping the situation here. The problem with the Vacuum is that there is simply to little offered up for the price being charged. You can't rationally dismiss the comparison to a machine being offered at a quarter of the price of the vacuum with close to 4 times the I/O.

Dave
  • Reply 160 of 212
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You can't rationally dismiss the comparison to a machine being offered at a quarter of the price of the vacuum with close to 4 times the I/O.

Yeah, because I/O is the only thing that matters in a computer!!!!

You ask me to ignore all the other things that make up a computer, because it blows your argument to smithereens.

Honestly the EEE PC has more in common with the Archos 705 PMP than the MacBook Air. Since you appear incapable of realising that fact, I don't see the point in debating with you.