Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 198
    When?

This is my only question.

Sorry but I don't want to be the person who buys a MBP and watches as exactly 15 days later the new and improved MBP is released.

Do. Not. Want.
  • Reply 62 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

Intel News Release about the 45nm new chips was Nov. 11. Apple introduces new Mac Pro that uses them Jan 8. They ship in a couple of days after. That's a lot closer to two months than 6 weeks. Care to take back the crack about being an idiot?

Please don't take offense, soliphism is not mocking you, but rather mocking the post by "thebeat". It looks like the sol's post was not clear on this.
  • Reply 63 of 198
    Do those
    Quote:

people familiar with the company's 2008 product roadmap say

that the Mac Mini will be upgraded also (obviously not with a multi touch pad, in case people wondered what I mean...)?
  • Reply 64 of 198
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    News of an update to Penryn within the next 'few weeks' [/ducks to avoid the pedants], is welcome though long-awaited.

The main question will be around the form-factor- same or unchanged?

I know us 'pro-users' are supposed to be above such frivolities but, hey, we are seduced by new shiny things as much as the next person!

Also someone mentioned that Penryn fits on same logic boards as SR but the upcoming Woodcrest (is that right?) processors will NEED a redesign so that could be the time to do it. I reckon same form-factor till then.

Also: Do we think the Air mean no 12" PB 'do-all' replacement? Me thinks yes, lamentably.
  • Reply 65 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Please don't take offense, soliphism is not mocking you, but rather mocking the post by "thebeat". It looks like the sol's post was not clear on this.

Thank you, JeffDM.

Quote:

Intel News Release about the 45nm new chips was Nov. 11. Apple introduces new Mac Pro that uses them Jan 8. They ship in a couple of days after. That's a lot closer to two months than 6 weeks. Care to take back the crack about being an idiot?

I was called an idiot for thinking it would be about 6 weeks before they are released, and not released tomorrow. Since you also came to a conclusion of a March release date?though for different reasons?I jested that you must be an idiot too. I meant no offense.
  • Reply 66 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

Also: Do we think the Air mean no 12" PB 'do-all' replacement? Me thinks yes, lamentably.

My opinion...

There will be no 12" Mac as Sony has shown us a display smaller than 13" in a widescreen format makes for an uncomfortable machine for reading pages of text and Apple will not go step back into a 4:3 screen size no matter how ideal it is for business.

I do miss my 12" PB!
  • Reply 67 of 198
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would a single FW-400 or dual-USB2.0 ports be enough to power a Blu-ray drive without plugging into an additional power source?

I don't know about USB, but a stock FahrWahr port has plenty enough juice to power something on the order of a Blu-ray reader/burner.
  • Reply 68 of 198
    stkstk Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hansii View Post

Let's hope they fix the biggest problem with the MBP, the screen resolution

Hmm... what do you mean? Too low, too high?

I'm tensely waiting for a new MBP generation. I'd like to have the non-glossy, 17" Hi-Res screen with LED backlight.

For me, the biggest problem would be if they would cancel the non-glossy version.

But I fear that Hi-Res will yield tiny graphics, since Leopard is still not really resolution-independent. It's about time for Apple to take the final step, and some weeks ago (Nov/Dec) they told us so on their roadshow.
  • Reply 69 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hansii View Post

Let's hope they fix the biggest problem with the MBP, the screen resolution

There is no problem. You can get up to 1920x1200 in a MBP. Anything beyond that is not available for notebooks as far as I've seen.
  • Reply 70 of 198
    Quote:

There is no problem. You can get up to 1920x1200 in a MBP. Anything beyond that is not available for notebooks as far as I've seen.

I have read one complaint that the MBA's 1280x800 resolution 13" was too low to be useable.
  • Reply 71 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Soon, I hope - I've been waiting...

I think it was said recently that the penryn chips will be available in quantity around the end of January, so I'm hoping for that.

I also hope it's soon. I was going to get my daughter a new 24" for the start of the second semester in HS, now, it'll have to be gotten afterwards.
  • Reply 72 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't know about USB, but a stock FahrWahr port has plenty enough juice to power something on the order of a Blu-ray reader/burner.

There are now shipping slim Blu-ray burners similar in form factor to Apple's Superdrive

http://fastmac.com/slim_bluray.php

The software support from Apple is missing. toast 8 supports it.

I don't think Apple wanted FireWire on the MBA because of the tethered nature of it's use and the higher power drain a normal 6 pin port would allow. On the other hand, the mini 4 pin port like on a camcorder or other self-powered device could have been supported in power and size, but intel doesn't favor FireWire so Apple would have had to add a chip and design the motherboard themselves. The MBAir is not targeted as a computer that stands on it's own as your only computer. Think of it as a second computer, a sidecar to your main Mac. considering it's use of your main optical drive, it's clear it has a slave relationship to a master Mac Pro or iMac. (or heaven forbid, a Windows machine)
  • Reply 73 of 198
    Quote:

Like really. I think people are getting a bit touchy.

More sarcasm? If not, why on earth would you want that at current prices? The speed increase is overhyped. If you want data protection, It's cheaper to get an Optibay to mirror the main hard drive, and you get much more storage.

By the way, it's MacBook Pro here, Mac Pro is a different beast.

It's the newest thing, andthere will always be some who want the newest thing, even if it's worse for their use than the current thing.

Bragging points, and all that. Oh no, did I say that? Of course, it's for that tremendous speed boost they need.
  • Reply 74 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

So Im thinking about buying a Macbook in the next few days, because to me the difference between a midrange Macbook and a 15" Pro is 2 inches of screen space and a better graphics card for an extra 1000 dollars. Since i dont work on/play with video games or produce 3D stuff, paying all that extra money doesnt seem worth it for my personal needs (graphic design, audio, some video stuff). But, with this rumor circulating should I wait to see if the current Pros get a price drop?

I would appreciate some advice

Thanks!

Unless you have no choice, I'd wait a bit. The month is more than half over. Good chance we'll see something by then. no promises though, just seems likely.
  • Reply 75 of 198
    Pleeease, let the new 17" MBP come with a LED-backlit display. But this seems unlikely, as others here have pointed out...
  • Reply 76 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagreatnate View Post

i'm glad to read this article. i was waiting for the Expo to swap my Dell for a MBP, hoping Jobs was going to announce a new update. i was disappointed when he did not and am now waiting for a refreshed MBP.

side question - does anyone have any advice about going with a matte or glossy screen? I'll be doing some minor work with final cut (probably express) for my church. it won't be anything super demanding as far as production quality is concerned.

thanks for your help.

Glossy screens have more color saturation, better blacks and cleaner whites, and look less "grainy?

Matt screens have better reflection control, and are still pretty good at the above.

It depends on how, and where you work. If you work in a darkened place, then reflections don't matter. If you work in a bright area where there is glare, then reflections might be a bother if you can't orient the screen properly.

But, some people aren't bothered by reflections at all (they tend to disappear in many images), while others are bothered by the slightest bit.
  • Reply 77 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

An external bluray drive would be even better.

Ommmm...

Wait, and it will come!
  • Reply 78 of 198
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

I don't think Apple wanted FireWire on the MBA because of the tethered nature of it's use and the higher power drain a normal 6 pin port would allow. On the other hand, the mini 4 pin port like on a camcorder or other self-powered device could have been supported in power and size, but intel doesn't favor FireWire so Apple would have had to add a chip and design the motherboard themselves. The MBAir is not targeted as a computer that stands on it's own as your only computer. Think of it as a second computer, a sidecar to your main Mac. considering it's use of your main optical drive, it's clear it has a slave relationship to a master Mac Pro or iMac. (or heaven forbid, a Windows machine)

I don't want a MBA as my *only* computer, I just want a very portable Mac for recording sessions to go along with my cool-as-heck and oh-so-portable Duet.
  • Reply 79 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would a single FW-400 or dual-USB2.0 ports be enough to power a Blu-ray drive without plugging into an additional power source?

Firewire should have enough power. There were the same questions long ago about DVD.
  • Reply 80 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I'm pretty sure 6 would count as "several".

Because you're "that guy". you know, like the show "That Girl".

Well, it made sense when I first typed it.\