Macbook Pro Update Date?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    Suck it up! They're coming.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rss9791 View Post

well the best buy computers were saying feb 10 so definitely hold out til sunday!
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rss9791 View Post

yah we've been patient for the past 6 months.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d0uble0se7en View Post

well the best buy computers were saying feb 10 so definitely hold out til sunday!

i'm waiting one more tuesday
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Let us suppose that Apple is going to release an updated MacBook Pro with Penryn on a Santa Rosa platform instead of Penryn on a Montevina platform - which is what Sony, Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo and HP are all doing.

Guess what? No Penryn PCs have shipped yet. There was a delay due to an issue with cooling sensors.

First, PC laptops with Penryn processors were meant to ship at the end of January. Then they were meant to ship this week, but didn't. Now they're meant to ship next week.

It'll be interesting to see whether they do.

This situation would explain why there was no MBP announcement at MacWorld and why we've heard nothing since.

But if Apple hasn't announced an MBP upgrade by the time the above manufacturers have all started shipping their upgraded PCs, then it means there will be no upgrade until May.

It is as simple as that.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    Is any of this good for Apple?

I've been Apple-loyal for close on 20 years now but I'm sitting here on a big wedge of cash that I'm refusing to spend on anything except a long overdue MBP overhaul. Call it bloody-minded, but I'm bored rigid. I've had three 15" TiBooks/MBPs in succession now and frankly I'd rather shell out on a re-con 12" than flash bucks on another same-old-same-old MBP with another dreary speed-bump or the Air that looks good but lacks vital functions.

I know I'm not alone and I can't help thinking that if you make your money via innovation as Apple does, the current level of consumer apathy around the MBP is a very bad thing. I never thought it would happen but I've found myself checking out other laptops and if I'm doing that as someone who loves the platform and has never bought anything but Apple machines, what are non-biased consumers doing? No one needs to spend that extra Apple premium. Where's the enticement? Right now I don't see it.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    /Sigh

This really is getting to be a bind now. Combined with the fact that my MBP has just unexpectedly met with a glass of wine, it would be typical that it may be May for an update.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

Is any of this good for Apple?

I've been Apple-loyal for close on 20 years now but I'm sitting here on a big wedge of cash that I'm refusing to spend on anything except a long overdue MBP overhaul. Call it bloody-minded, but I'm bored rigid. I've had three 15" TiBooks/MBPs in succession now and frankly I'd rather shell out on a re-con 12" than flash bucks on another same-old-same-old MBP with another dreary speed-bump or the Air that looks good but lacks vital functions.

I know I'm not alone and I can't help thinking that if you make your money via innovation as Apple does, the current level of consumer apathy around the MBP is a very bad thing. I never thought it would happen but I've found myself checking out other laptops and if I'm doing that as someone who loves the platform and has never bought anything but Apple machines, what are non-biased consumers doing? No one needs to spend that extra Apple premium. Where's the enticement? Right now I don't see it.

I couldn't agree with you more! I have been in the Apple fold for almost 14 years now and only looked outside of Apple's line of machines one time, and regretted it the moment I did. Since then I have been completely loyal to Apple in every way imaginable (recommending iPods to friends who were looking at Zunes, convincing my PC loving little brother to switch to the Mac, etc.). But now, for the first time in a really long time, I find myself extremely frustrated by what Apple is doing. My little brother has finally seen the light and wants to buy his first Mac and asked me for advice, and after many questions about what it would be used for and how much he was willing to spend, he picked the 15" MBP! And I told him to hold on because Apple is about to make some upgrades, and this has been almost a month now, and I fear he will loose faith.

I need a new MBP 15" also, and the only reason I haven't bought a different Macbook is there is nothing that will fit the bill. The only Macbook that has seen an update is the Macbook Air, which isn't even an update! It's a new product!

This really blows.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Okay just had a thought . . . .will the release date be the same in the UK as the USA????
  • Reply 30 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

But if Apple hasn't announced an MBP upgrade by the time the above manufacturers have all started shipping their upgraded PCs, then it means there will be no upgrade until May.

It is as simple as that.

I don't follow your logic. Apple seems to act independently from what others do. They follow their own strategy on upgrades and announcements and that strategy relies on more Mac benefits than just processor speed, and with the MBP they have the capability to add multi-touch trackpads.

They are dialing back on MacBook, iPhone and iPod orders at the same time they are holding to forecasts for a good year. The MBP must play heavily in that strategy. I think they will ship an upgrade with a faster processor and multi-touch trackpad as soon as they can, regardless of what other manufacturers are doing.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

It is as simple as that.

That doesn't seem particularly logical. Unless they announce it at MWSF or WWDC, almost all upgrades are available the day they're announced. There's a whole host of reasons why the other manufactures could start shipping, and Apple would be a couple weeks away.

I am 99% certain MBP updates will be out by the end of March.

Really, how many times does this pattern have to happen? Apple doesn't announce an update people want at MWSF, and then it comes sometime during February or March. In the meantime, people endlessly piss and moan and we have gnashing of teeth and rending of garments about how if Apple doesn't announce RIGHT NOW, all hope is lost.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    Im new to apple and their processes. I can see why they keep everything so secret but it frustrates me at the same time. I want to purchase my first mac and make sure it is the best one i can possibly afford. After alot of dilberating i decided on a MBP but I dont want to get one if there is a big refresh coming in the very near future as it will seem like a waste of money. and it is alot of money to potentially be wasted! A fixed date would be SO useful! Does anyone know if the release date will be the same for the UK as the USA?
  • Reply 33 of 114
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Typically, if it's not a brand new product, I think it's the same or within a couple weeks. I'm not completely sure though. Anyone care to confirm that?
  • Reply 34 of 114
    r-41157, if you're so eager to get one JUST BUY A MBP and stop moaning - It's a great machine and you can sell it after getting a new one whenever it is released. I am waiting for the Penryns, too. But I'm patient...
  • Reply 35 of 114
    Saschke . . . im just joining in with the debate on this thread, your obviously not. You must have a lot of time on your hands while being 'patient' if you read through this thread just to tell one individual to stop moaning. Quite a few people are moaning about all this because I expect some people are frustrated. I want to know a date so that I do not lose money, as being a student I have very little. If you have enough money to buy £1500 worth of equipment to then just sell it on a couple months down the line and lose money then thats great. ill moan as much as I see fit thank you very much.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    next quarter.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    r-41157, I understand the fact that you are frustrated about not knowing when the new ones are released.

Sounding harsh wasn't my intention, sorry for that. Concerning myself having "a lot of time" - thanks for the insult by the way - I am only scanning threads about MBPs right now because I want to upgrade my Core Duo MBP, too. In whining on message boards I see no point because Apple's policy about product release info has been the same for years and will most likely not change. I felt the need of stating that in the same way you have stated your discontent. Please respect that.

Being a student I understand your point about money but you can really buy one now and sell it in a few weeks for nearly the same price. Hell, you even get a big edu-discount from Apple and other distributors.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    "a lot of time" was just an insult thrown back in regards to your comment on my "moaning". I can respect apples policies etc and also dont indulge in complaining and moaning on message boards as obviously, it gets you nowhere. I did not feel as though I was moanin, simply displaying my frustrations.

If there is no update by Feb 20th I am going to have to purchase a MBP regardless as it is going to be a nessesity after my trip to new york.

coming off topic slightly, if I were to buy and then an update came out and I wanted to sell, where would be the best place to do it?
  • Reply 39 of 114
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    just a quick question

penryn based notebooks available from Dell and HP?
  • Reply 40 of 114
    Has it happened in the past that best buy's computers have given away the release date of a mac product?

I suppose if it's true, it kinda makes sense. If they were going to release them on Monday for sale, to have them in stock when the doors open Monday morning they'd probably ship them the day before...

Here's to hoping!