Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1521 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

ok? failure rates hurt obviously and so does having 0 presence in japan. the console still boasts the highest attach rates in history, garnishes some of the highest grossing games this gen, and makes other companies millionaires.

hmm, the ps3 can barely get a game to break a few million copies (besides packing motorstorm in with each system), loses tons of cash on each ps3 because they wanted to force gamers to buy a 600 dollar bluray player and then continuously poops on their loyal fan base by taking out features they boasted about (backwards compatibility) and then re-introducing others they deemed not necessary (rumble). the ps3 ended up on Times magazines top 10 tech blunders but now since bluray won they are getting a slight boost in sales and all of a sudden they are "smart again".

the PS3 is NOT the PS2, all you Sony boys need to get that through your freaking skull. it hasn't performed like the PS2 and it may never. a little game called Grand Theft Auto and a movie called The Matrix should be credited for a lot of that consoles success and guess what? there is no matrix this time and grand theft auto has exclusive content deals with microsoft lol.

also, if Sony decides not to drop the price of stand alone bluray players i would love to see how long it takes them to really get bluray out of this niche group and into the masses because taking too long could have someone like apple, amazon, or some other downloadable service run away with the glory.

So when you said "end of story," you really meant "to be continued?"

It's amazing how you just don't get it.

Please keep in touch through this thread. It'll be interesting to see what happens from your point of view.
  • Reply 1522 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

2010 really isn't that far off. You may be eating those words especially with regard to the rest of the world.

No I won't. Alot can change in two years. Two years ago, the iPhone was just a myth, now its a 16 gig phenomenon and its on the verge of having v2 released. Two years ago people were dreaming up wacky concepts of wide-screen iPods...now we have the 32GB Touch with SDK around the corner. Two years ago, Nanos were all the rage, now they are even smaller, have more memory, and even play video & games.

Alot can change in 2 years. I won't have to eat my words.
  • Reply 1523 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

No I won't. Alot can change in two years. Two years ago, the iPhone was just a myth, now its a 16 gig phenomenon and its on the verge of having v2 released. Two years ago people were dreaming up wacky concepts of wide-screen iPods...now we have the 32GB Touch with SDK around the corner. Two years ago, Nanos were all the rage, now they are even smaller, have more memory, and even play video & games.

* A lot * can change, but I think your claim of 50 BD quality movies on an iPod (or similar sized device) that will output HD to another source may be a bit ambitious by 2010. It's not a tech issue that will impede it, it's a whole host of other issues.
  • Reply 1524 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Please keep in touch through this thread. It'll be interesting to see what happens from your point of view.

will do.
  • Reply 1525 of 2639
    Quote:

Why carry around a big goofy disk with one movie when my iPod in 2010 will be able to hold 50 BD quality movies in something the size of a deck of cards.

Quote:

A lot will HAVE to change for you to even be remotely right, doing the math and making a "BD movie" take up 20GB of space, times your claim of 50 movies means 1000GB of storage ON AN IPOD??? in two years? now following moores law, current iPods are 160GB for the larger ones, so doubling that in 2 years would equate to a 320GB drive.. thats IF the classic sticks around, which I kinda doubt, but anyway, lest again give you the benefit of the doubt.

but its STILL only 320GB of space... seriously, theres a LOT thats gotta change to get up to your claim of 50 BD movies on an iPod two years from now, either you think Jobs has a storage of perpetual sunshine up his trousers or you don't live in the real world with the rest of us.

Unless your just on a wind up mission?

--

aye, that'll teach me to read all the way down the thread
  • Reply 1526 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

will do.

course you will, its your job.
  • Reply 1527 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

A lot will HAVE to change for you to even be remotely right, doing the math and making a "BD movie" take up 20GB of space, times your claim of 50 movies means 1000GB of storage ON AN IPOD??? in two years? now following moores law, current iPods are 160GB for the larger ones, so doubling that in 2 years would equate to a 320GB drive.. thats IF the classic sticks around, which I kinda doubt, but anyway, lest again give you the benefit of the doubt.

He said "BD Quality" movie, which depending on who you talk to can mean different things. First, we know we don't need multiple languages, multiple audio tracks, extras, bonus features, etc on our movie we are carrying around. Maybe stored at home, but what we choose to load can be a subset of that. So if we go by the iTunes store HD section, a feature film comes in around 3GB. So fitting 50 HD films on an iPod would only require 150GB of space (4.3mpbs). Now, lets say you want to push the quality meter up a bit, so 9GB per move (12mbps). That is about 450GB. I think that is maybe doable. But why? Do you need 50 HD movies on an iPod? If they are all stored at home, and you are going to a friends, maybe you would only want to load up 5 (even that seems overkill). I think 60GB would be fine for a portable HD movie player that plugs in via HDMI to a TV to play 108p content.
  • Reply 1528 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

1000GB of storage ON AN IPOD??? in two years? now following moores law, current iPods are 160GB for the larger ones, so doubling that in 2 years would equate to a 320GB drive..

Moore's Law refers to the number of transistors on an integrated circuit. It has nothing to do with HD capacity.
  • Reply 1529 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

He said "BD Quality" movie, which depending on who you talk to can mean different things. First, we know we don't need multiple languages, multiple audio tracks, extras, bonus features, etc on our movie we are carrying around. Maybe stored at home, but what we choose to load can be a subset of that. So if we go by the iTunes store HD section, a feature film comes in around 3GB. So fitting 50 HD films on an iPod would only require 150GB of space (4.3mpbs). Now, lets say you want to push the quality meter up a bit, so 9GB per move (12mbps). That is about 450GB. I think that is maybe doable. But why? Do you need 50 HD movies on an iPod? If they are all stored at home, and you are going to a friends, maybe you would only want to load up 5 (even that seems overkill). I think 60GB would be fine for a portable HD movie player that plugs in via HDMI to a TV to play 108p content.

bingo. Somebody gets it :0)
  • Reply 1530 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

It was mdotdubz that postulated the 50 BD quality movies on an iPod sized device, not Walter. I think the "BD quality" bit should be rephrased to HD though, for clarity. I stand by my opinion that I feel it's optimistic on mdotdubz part at this point.

On another note, since switching iPods to USB they load awfully slow. I dread the day I need to reload my 160 GB iPod.
  • Reply 1531 of 2639
    Quote:

It was mdotdubz that postulated the 50 BD quality movies on an iPod sized device, not Walter. I think the "BD quality" bit should be rephrased to HD though, for clarity. I stand by my opinion that I feel it's optimistic on mdotdubz part at this point.

On another note, since switching iPods to USB they load awfully slow. I dread the day I need to reload my 160 GB iPod.

Load slowly? It takes me less than a minute to load a HD movie from iTunes rental, it takes me 15 minutes to DL it from the internet. Seems pretty quick to me.

Anyways, I would rather watch HD or BD quality movies by connecting an iPod instead of carrying around a bunch of stupid plastic cases. Those days are over for me.

Don't take my 50 BD movies comment literraly, I meant it as a range, more like 50ish... could be 30, 45, whatever... just significant enough where its more than lets say 10 or 15.
  • Reply 1532 of 2639
    Quote:

Load slowly? It takes me less than a minute to load a HD movie from iTunes rental, it takes me 15 minutes to DL it from the internet. Seems pretty quick to me.

Anyways, I would rather watch HD or BD quality movies by connecting an iPod instead of carrying around a bunch of stupid plastic cases. Those days are over for me.

Don't take my 50 BD movies comment literraly, I meant it as a range, more like 50ish... could be 30, 45, whatever... just significant enough where its more than lets say 10 or 15.

I wasn't inferring that what you're asking for isn't desirable. In fact, it will more than likely happen at some point in the future. I just disagree with exactly when you'll be able to transport your HD collection of movies on a device like an iPod (and be able to play them back).
  • Reply 1533 of 2639
    Quote:

I wasn't inferring that what you're asking for isn't desirable. In fact, it will more than likely happen at some point in the future. I just disagree with exactly when you'll be able to transport your HD collection of movies on a device like an iPod (and be able to play them back).

Well, you can do that already, to be honest. With a 160 gig iPod Classic and HD movies from iTunes. You can fit many movies on a 160 gig iPod.

So maybe it might occur in 2011 instead of 2010, big whoop. My point is that we are very close to that becoming a reality. In fact, its already here, so it is inevitable.

I think thats the way to go for video, like SJ said, your entire life in your pocket.
  • Reply 1534 of 2639
    Quote:

Well, you can do that already, to be honest. With a 160 gig iPod Classic and HD movies from iTunes. You can fit many movies on a 160 gig iPod.

So maybe it might occur in 2011 instead of 2010, big whoop. My point is that we are very close to that becoming a reality. In fact, its already here, so it is inevitable.

I think thats the way to go for video, like SJ said, your entire life in your pocket.

You currently can't do *anything* with HD movies from iTunes unless you're using an aTV. I'll reiterate that this isn't a technical limitation. There are other issues involved.
  • Reply 1535 of 2639
    Quote:

You currently can't do *anything* with HD movies from iTunes unless you're using an aTV. I'll reiterate that this isn't a technical limitation. There are other issues involved.

Not true. You can connect your iPod or iPhone to a TV with AV cables and watch Movies. That's what I was talking about.
  • Reply 1536 of 2639
    Quote:

Not true. You can connect your iPod or iPhone to a TV with AV cables and watch Movies. That's what I was talking about.

Not with HD content from iTunes. If you've changed your stance and SD is acceptable then you're right in saying that the ability is here now.

Then again why have we swapped back to SD content in a thread about HD?
  • Reply 1537 of 2639
    Quote:

Not with HD content from iTunes. If you've changed your stance and SD is acceptable then you're right in saying that the ability is here now.

Then again why have we swapped back to SD content in a thread about HD?

eh, who knows

anyways, have fun kids, i gotta go...

laterz
  • Reply 1538 of 2639
    Quote:

yeah, sod carrying around a bunch of stupid cases, carry around a bunch of stupid wires instead, and he was referring to RE-loading the ENTIRE 160 Gb iPod, which is a bitch I'm sure, my 80 was no fun, and wireless sync of the aTV WOW S L O W.

Quote:

Well if you drop the number of movies and extend the time BEYOND what you originally said... OF COURSE you would be "right"

oh and forget that the Classic doesn't output HD...
  • Reply 1539 of 2639
    Quote:

Bingo
  • Reply 1540 of 2639
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Microsoft discontinued the 360 HD-DVD add-on, and dropped the price to $49.95 to clear stock. I am actually thinking of buying one, since 2nd hand disks will be $3 on ebay and there are still a couple hundred movies out.