Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

1126127128129130132»

Comments

• Reply 2621 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

so.... anyone actually buying BD movie discs, lately?... I saw some newly released titles dropping in price to $19.99 from $25+ at amazon. I almost pulled the trigger, but I thought it may get much lower during the holidays. I have no must have titles on my list with my current TV setup, which forces me to be a very patient shopper.

I've committed to BD and am buying those discs that appeal to me, usually one or two a month. I bought Wall-e on release and recently picked up Polar Express, A Room with a View, and the Orphanage on a B2GO. I'm also looking forward to some of the Criterion releases scheduled for December.
  • Reply 2622 of 2639
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

so.... anyone actually buying BD movie discs, lately?... I saw some newly released titles dropping in price to $19.99 from $25+ at amazon. I almost pulled the trigger, but I thought it may get much lower during the holidays. I have no must have titles on my list with my current TV setup, which forces me to be a very patient shopper.

Is the bad economy also influencing gaming console market or just the HDM market?

Either way, it's not helping with Apple adopting BD optical drives any time soon.

Yet another flawed assumption from the mind and fingers of bitemymac. Every economic expert I've seen says items like HDTVs will actually be less affected by the downturn. It's been common knowledge for years that in bad times, people want to cocoon at home, and HDTVs and other such gadgets are good for that.

bitemymac almost ready to buy Blu-ray. Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. This is a guy who was basically second only to HMurchison for rabid hatred of Blu-ray. I'm pretty sure Murch never bought Blu-ray, because Toshiba didn't satisfy either of his conditions for purchase: that either HD DVD win the format war outright, or at least hold on for a few years to give Blu-ray some competition.
  • Reply 2623 of 2639
    Quote:

so.... anyone actually buying BD movie discs, lately?

Yup. Been picking up all of the major releases that have been coming out (Iron Man, Hulk, Hellboy II, Wall*E), and just ordered last year's Live Free or Die Hard and Mad Men season one from Amazon. I've been waiting for LFDH to go on sale, and today the price dropped from it's never-moving $27 to a very reasonable $17. Likewise, Mad Men season one only cost $18 (list price $50). Pretty awesome.

I've noticed that most stores are listing The Dark Knight Blu-Ray for $24, which includes two discs of content and a digital copy. That's only $2-$3 more than the two disc DVD special edition. Hopefully that's a trend for Blu-Ray releases.
  • Reply 2624 of 2639
    Quote:

Is the bad economy also influencing gaming console market or just the HDM market?

Either way, it's not helping with Apple adopting BD optical drives any time soon.

but you were willing to buy HD-DVD on that same setup? that kind of implies that either your setup wouldnt have taken advantage of HD-DVD or that BD is superior in PQ or sound?

funny
  • Reply 2625 of 2639
    I was in Zeller's the other day and noticed a lot of HD-DVDs for $6.99. Even Transformers was in this bin. If I had an HD-DVD player, I would have been all over these. I doubt any of them are moving anytime soon.

Anyone getting Step Brothers or Prince Caspian on Tuesday?
  • Reply 2626 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

I was in Zeller's the other day and noticed a lot of HD-DVDs for $6.99. Even Transformers was in this bin. If I had an HD-DVD player, I would have been all over these. I doubt any of them are moving anytime soon.

Anyone getting Step Brothers or Prince Caspian on Tuesday?

I would be interested if available locally. You can still buy cheap HD-DVD player new or used, or a LG combo drive is only about $100 these days. Regardless of the optical disc format, HDM is just HDM stored in some sort of media. It can be easily converted to any future formats at later time.
  • Reply 2627 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

but you were willing to buy HD-DVD on that same setup? that kind of implies that either your setup wouldnt have taken advantage of HD-DVD or that BD is superior in PQ or sound?

funny

What an idiot!.... Only from a PS3 owner you're expected to hear such mindless things,"that kind of implies that either your setup wouldnt have taken advantage of HD-DVD or that BD is superior in PQ or sound?"

BTW, all my HT stuffs not worthy of BD's superial PQ & AQ are in storage, but that should not stop you being an idiot.
  • Reply 2628 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Hey PS3 how do you feel being outsold by the 360 during Black Friday Weekend by 3-1 ?

Where's all the jokers claiming the PS3 was going to outsell the 360 after boasting three or four measly weeks at the top (mainly due to MGS4) during the slowest time of the year for gaming...come on ladies show yourselves, don't be scared
  • Reply 2629 of 2639
    I'm not a gamer so I won't own either, but it's pretty common knowledge that the 360's sales advantage came mostly because of its price drop. If Sony's execs weren't such boneheads by insisting on not lowering their prices, they'd be in the running.

By the way, isn't this the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD thread? So, Elixir, how did that MS embrace of HD DVD work out for you?
  • Reply 2630 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I'm not a gamer so I won't own either, but it's pretty common knowledge that the 360's sales advantage came mostly because of its price drop. If Sony's execs weren't such boneheads by insisting on not lowering their prices, they'd be in the running.

By the way, isn't this the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD thread? So, Elixir, how did that MS embrace of HD DVD work out for you?

Yes, yes always an excuse. Bottom line is the 360 has the better gaming library, online, remote, and overall better entertainment value.

HD-DVD? Bluray? at this point I still could careless.
  • Reply 2631 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Yes, yes always an excuse. Bottom line is the 360 has the better gaming library, online, remote, and overall better entertainment value.

HD-DVD? Bluray? at this point I still could careless.

So here's a crazy idea. Go to some game fanboy's forum if you don't care about this topic.
  • Reply 2632 of 2639
    Quote:

So here's a crazy idea. Go to some game fanboy's forum if you don't care about this topic.

Don't get your undies in a bunch this topic has history and significance here.
  • Reply 2633 of 2639
    Quote:

Don't get your undies in a bunch this topic has history and significance here.

History yes, significance no!
  • Reply 2634 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

History yes, significance no!

Whatever the case, the point still stands- the ps3 is a poor gaming machine and a mediocre entertainment hub.
  • Reply 2635 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Whatever the case, the point still stands- the ps3 is a poor gaming machine and a mediocre entertainment hub.

As is the point of your argument--being poor and mediocre. This is your opinion, nothing more...not some fact as you peddle it to be.

As OldCodger pointed out, this may have history in the context of this thread, but there really is no significance to your argument when you are taking a snapshot of sales from one day with obviously the discrepancy of price being ignored by you and trying to apply credibility to your argument that the PS3 is a "poor gaming machine and a mediocre entertainment hub."

We understand your dislike of anything Sony...we get it...now get over your love of the Xbox and lets discuss the merits and real shortcomings of the victorious Blu-ray format and its inevitable inclusion into Mac hardware.

• Reply 2636 of 2639
    Yeah yeah yeah I've presented my argument in various forms here through out this gen and everything I've ever said was tip toed around just like you are doing now. Fact still remains that the PS3 is too expensive because they added unneeded hardware and technology into a gaming platform and expected their fanbase to swallow it.

For this reason game development was costly and difficult on their platform and now the 360 is mopping floor. If I were you I'd try not to look at the entire holiday sales figures and hope the difference remains 3-1.
  • Reply 2637 of 2639
    Ignore him, Marz. Obviously just a little kid, judging from his childish argument and fixation on gaming.

So, Marz, when are you going to start the "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2009)" thread? Oh, wait, that's right. There can't be one because somebody quit the contest.
  • Reply 2638 of 2639
    Quote:

So, Marz, when are you going to start the "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2009)" thread? Oh, wait, that's right. There can't be one because somebody quit the contest.

It should be titled "Blu-Ray vs SD DVD 2009".
  • Reply 2639 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

There is no bandwidth issue. A good quality 720p HD movie can be downloaded in less than an hour. In the future this time period will reduce dramatically. Audio, video, games. They are all just zeros and ones.

As for the studio issue. That is their problem. It's their job to align themselves to the audience, not the other way around.

Blu Ray does offer a good quality image. Just as SACD offers great quality audio.

But the problem is that hardly anyone is geared up to make use of that quality.

The average TV viewing distance is 8-12 feet. On a 46" screen 1080p is indistinguishable from 720p at more than 6".

To collectors and people with projection TVs, the additional resolution matters.

To the mass audience that were attracted to DVD, the BluRay benefits are marginal.

You have to remember that for most people DVD supplanted VHS. The gains were substantial.

*Image quality

*Audio quality

*Random Access

*Durability

*Extras

*Subtitles

*Size

BluRay's *only* real advantage is image-quality. The mass audience are not dissatisfied with DVD's image quality.

C.

Hate to break the news to you, but most people in the US [overwhelming majority] don't even have 480p lines on their Television sets. So yes, going up to even 480p is noticeable, let alone the rest.

Most people have 330×480 (250 lines): Umatic, Betamax, VHS, Video8 from their old television sets.

The various resolutions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_r..._various_media

are very recent and most people haven't upgraded or that 1999 US Senate hearing requiring HD by 2004 would have occured instead of being pushed back 5 more years.