Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 423
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Boy this is a tough crowd.

Apple's in for dark days - for awhile it looks like

Not sure what they will have to come out with, for all you folks to be ALL happy - and run out to buy a new Mac / MBP or any other Apple product.

For me, it will be tough. I already have: (and we are a 2 person shop)

- Intel Desktop (2)

- several other older mac's

- New 17" MBP

- WAY to many iPods

- 23" & 30" monitors PLUS others

- WAY to much software

I might breakdown and purchase an iPhone at the right price ($250.00 range). My contract is up with Verizon, sooo ?

I'd give serious consideration to a 36" - 42" monitor / touch screen

Hey, that's just me.

Remember folks, if they / Apple comes out with what we ALL want now, what in hell could they come out with later this year, or MacExpo next year, that would make me pony up more bucks for a new, a different Mac?

Skip
  • Reply 22 of 423
    MB:

- I'm sure Apple must be specially paying someone to keep make Combo drives nowadays.

- Odd that even with MBs capable of using 4096MB RAM that they don't allow the X3100 the option to use the 384MB it can as VRAM.

MBP

- Odd not to see the keyboard that is otherwise standard on all Macs not get included on the MBP

- No high res version of the 15" screen.

Again whilst these updates were needed; Apple doesn't even remotely tempt me to replace my TiBook.
  • Reply 23 of 423
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmacoy View Post

Seems pretty disappointing - I was hoping for a case/keyboard refresh

Not going to happen without a special event. Mind you: externals are about showing up, and Apple is going to really show up when it comes to these, and not go through a silent routine update.
  • Reply 24 of 423
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This is too little too late.

Where are the new MBPs that have been seen at Cupertino? I guess it'll be another six months before they arrive. That means Apple will debut a Montevina MBP onths after everyone else.

No wonder the share price is langusihing at $120. It deserves to.

Talk about disappointed. I could cry.

I suspect you'll see you new case design when the new Intel processors come out (about 6 months before we see them in Macs?). If Apple made this revision too drastic, they'd have taken the punch out of the rollout of new laptops with the new processor. And you'd risk a bunch of upset customers who bought the new design but missed out of the new processor.

By keeping this upgrade relatively minor, they managed both sets of expectations.
  • Reply 25 of 423
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Wow, that was a lame update.
  • Reply 26 of 423
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivebaby View Post

Thank god I didn't auction my Macbook Pro. I knew there was going to be no case redesign but I did think the trackpad would be upgraded. Guess not.

Mike

What are you talking about? They did upgrade the trackpad with multitouch. Plus I hear that the macbook pros will have the option of LED backlit screens. I don't think appleinsider is reporting this properly.

EDIT: People! Go to apple's fricken website and read the specs for yourself!
  • Reply 27 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This is too little too late.

Where are the new MBPs that have been seen at Cupertino? I guess it'll be another six months before they arrive. That means Apple will debut a Montevina MBP onths after everyone else.

No wonder the share price is langusihing at $120. It deserves to.

Talk about disappointed. I could cry.

I was trying not to get excited about a case redesign because I suspected they wouldn't intro one until the MBA has had a good run in the market.

Oh well, I'm not quite due for an upgrade anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 423
    At least this means my 2.16 MBP should still have a pretty good value when I sell it next month.
  • Reply 29 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What are you talking about? They did upgrade the trackpad with multitouch. Plus I hear that they macbook pros will have the option of LED backlit screens. I don't think appleinsider is reporting this properly.

They already had led backlit screens.
  • Reply 30 of 423
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

They already had led backlit screens.

except for the 17" MBP it's an option.
  • Reply 31 of 423
    So many people seem to expect the MacBook to be a MacBook Pro. Hey, genius, you are buying the budget version of the machine. No, Apple doesn't need to add every bit of new tech into the budget machine. Besides, these things are EXTREMELY capable computers. Why must everybody act like a spoiled brat when they don't get everything for nothing? Grow up.
  • Reply 32 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fractured View Post

So many people seem to expect the MacBook to be a MacBook Pro. Hey, genius, you are buying the budget version of the machine. No, Apple doesn't need to add every bit of new tech into the budget machine. Besides, these things are EXTREMELY capable computers. Why must everybody act like a spoiled brat when they don't get everything for nothing? Grow up.

Agree.

Key word as you stated, Grow up, only wish they would.
  • Reply 33 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ATLienGeorgia View Post

Since when did the apple remote for the MBP become a $19 addon?

Since the stock fell to $120 and they needed to find out more ways to squeeze every penny out of their customers. Did you really expect a $2800 laptop to include a remote?
  • Reply 34 of 423
    I am looking to buy my first Macbook (Pro) but I am having a hard time deciding between the op of the line Black MB and the entry level MBP. A little bit about my computer needs....I dont play any games....mostly surfing the net, might purchase Aperture 2 so I can edit some family photos, watch dvds burn cds, music.

I am usually the person that likes to buy the "best" or "top of the line" products so I am stuck between the 2 Apple products. I figured it would be $500 more for the MBP.

Opinions...thoughts or suggestions?
  • Reply 35 of 423
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The good:

Well needed processor upgrades.

The graphics card is a nice improvement.

The keyboard layout (removal of the enter key and adding another option key)

F1-F12 layout standardized across the board

Multi-touch

Case is tried and true. Still better than anything else out there.

17" has LED now.

The bad:

Case is getting dated by Apple standards.

USB ports still slim on the 15" model.

No magnetic latch.

No remote standard.

Entry-level MacBook still has combo drive.

Keyboard still the same in MBP.

The ugly:

That we have to wait a few more months for a completely revamped mobile lineup.
  • Reply 36 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Remember folks, if they / Apple comes out with what we ALL want now, what in hell could they come out with later this year, or MacExpo next year, that would make me pony up more bucks for a new, a different Mac?

Blu-Ray disc burners. Auburndale CPUs. Calpella chipsets. There, I just took you all the way past WWDC 2009 and didn't even mention MacBook with multitouch trackpad, monitor refreshes using LED backlit LCDs, WiMAX, G3 iPhone, 1394c, or Firewire 3200

I'd also like to see the Mac Mini have at least the same logic board specs as the low end MacBook. There's no reason not to refresh the Mac Mini to keep it on par with the MacBook, unless you are trying to kill it off.
  • Reply 37 of 423
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

I am looking to buy my first Macbook (Pro) but I am having a hard time deciding between the op of the line Black MB and the entry level MBP. A little bit about my computer needs....I dont play any games....mostly surfing the net, might purchase Aperture 2 so I can edit some family photos, watch dvds burn cds, music.

I am usually the person that likes to buy the "best" or "top of the line" products so I am stuck between the 2 Apple products. I figured it would be $500 more for the MBP.

Opinions...thoughts or suggestions?

With your requirements, the MacBook would be more than enough. I even think Aperture would be overkill. iPhoto does a good job of managing photos. You can also look at something like Pixelmator. It can also be upgraded to 4GB of RAm and has an extremely easy upgrade path for the hard drive.

Now if you want the 15" screen, or you think the 13" is too small, then the entry-level MBP would be your next logical choice. It's a great machine too. I should know, I have one for work.
  • Reply 38 of 423
    Why do we have to pay for a remote that was included before?

Bad move Apple
  • Reply 39 of 423
    Are the processors on the new Macbook also of the Penryn variety? If so, will that mean better battery life?
  • Reply 40 of 423
    Is the 4GB of RAM with purchasing....or over kill..will I see a big difference?