Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple today updated its popular MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook lines with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn processors, larger hard drives and 2GB of memory standard in most models.

MacBook Pro

In addition, MacBook Pro includes the latest NVIDIA graphics processors, now with up to 512MB of video memory, and Apple's innovative Multi-Touch trackpad, first introduced in MacBook Air.

The new MacBook Pro features the latest Intel Core 2 Duo technology with up to a 2.6 GHz processor with 6MB of shared L2 cache; up to 4GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory and up to a 300GB hard drive, plus NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with up to 512MB of video memory.

Every MacBook Pro now includes a trackpad with Multi-Touch gesture support for pinch, rotate and swipe, making it more intuitive than ever to zoom and rotate photos in iPhoto or Aperture 2 or browse web pages in Safari; an illuminated keyboard that makes it ideal for dimly lit environments such as airplanes, studios or conference halls and a built-in ambient light sensor, which automatically adjusts the brightness of the keys as well as the brightness of the display for optimal visibility.

MacBook

Featuring a 13-inch glossy widescreen display, and with prices still starting at just $1,099, the new MacBook lineup comes in three models and includes faster processors and larger hard drives across the line; white 2.1 GHz and 2.4 GHz models with 120GB or 160GB 5400 rpm hard drives and a black 2.4 GHz model with a massive 250GB 5400 rpm hard drive, previously only available as an option. The 2.4 GHz MacBook models ship with 2GB of memory standard, expandable up to 4GB across the line.

Every MacBook and MacBook Pro includes a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go; Apple's MagSafe Power Adapter that magnetically connects the power cord and safely disconnects when under strain; the latest generation of 802.11n wireless networking for up to five times the performance and twice the range of 802.11g; built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking; Bluetooth; analog and digital audio inputs and outputs; USB 2.0; FireWire and a built-in SuperDrive.

Pricing & Availability

The new MacBook and MacBook Pro models are now shipping and will be available through the Apple Store , Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The 2.1 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,099 (US), includes:

13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical driveIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRtwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogScrolling trackpad and60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

The 2.4 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:

13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRtwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogScrolling trackpad and60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter

The 2.4 GHz, 13-inch black MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRtwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogScrolling trackpad and 60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter

Build-to-order options for the MacBook include the ability to upgrade to up to 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, a 160GB or 250GB hard drive, Apple USB Modem, Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter, Apple Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The 2.4 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440 x 900 LCD display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB200GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slottwo USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogMulti-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter

The 2.5 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,499 (US), includes:

15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440 x 900 LCD display2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slottwo USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogMulti-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter

The 2.5 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:

17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache800 MHz front-side bus2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical driveNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slotthree USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analogMulti-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter

Build-to-order options for the MacBook Pro include the ability to upgrade to up to 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, a 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 200GB (7200 rpm), 250GB (5400 rpm) or a 300GB (4200 rpm) hard drive, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter, Apple USB Modem, glossy widescreen display, 17- inch LED-backlit 1920 x 1200 high-resolution display and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Additional build-to-order options for both MacBook and MacBook Pro include pre-installed copies of iWork '08, Logic Express 8, Final Cut Express 4 and Aperture 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 423
    Thank god I didn't auction my Macbook Pro. I knew there was going to be no case redesign but I did think the trackpad would be upgraded. Guess not.

Mike
  • Reply 2 of 423
    I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't go with a upgrade to the case as well, especially the keyboard. I was beginning to think that they would make the newer keyboards universal... *sigh* There goes the anticipation of waiting all day to see something grand.. now it's just cool

glad I didn't buy a mbp two weeks ago though lol
  • Reply 3 of 423
    This is too little too late.

Where are the new MBPs that have been seen at Cupertino? I guess it'll be another six months before they arrive. That means Apple will debut a Montevina MBP onths after everyone else.

No wonder the share price is langusihing at $120. It deserves to.

Talk about disappointed. I could cry.
  • Reply 4 of 423
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The MacBook Pro Gets new Bluethooth 2.1 while MacBook are stuck with 2.0 ?? ><

I think we would see them updated again when Centrino 2 comes out?
  • Reply 5 of 423
    Question: I just bought a Macbook over the weekend, what is Apple's policy if I return this computer in exchange for the newly bumped specs?

I know the bump in speed, memory and space isn't that significant for the $1299 machine, but I'm just curious. I've already ordered my 4gb memory, but the added hard drive space would be nice. Going from 2.2ghz to 2.4 doesn't make that much difference, right?
  • Reply 6 of 423
    I have to say from a strategic adoption point of view, it was a major oversight not to include multi-touch trackpads on the Macbook. Surely you want to drive even more sales of the most popular, mainstream mac unit and get people using a technology which is currently a Mac only experience. I think by not putting this into the hands of more switchers, Apple are potentially driving people to wait for its eventual arrival and put off a purchase than to say ohhh i'll just pay more and get a pro. Also Apple can we get a proper graphics card in the Macbook....please?
  • Reply 7 of 423
    Nice to see a total revamp of the portable line.
  • Reply 8 of 423
    Since when did the apple remote for the MBP become a $19 addon?
  • Reply 9 of 423
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    AI, you've got the MacBook and the MacBook Pro titles (the ones in bold) mixed-up in your article.
  • Reply 10 of 423
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    I'm not an expert on graphic cards, are the new MacBook Pro graphic cards good?
  • Reply 11 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techvoyager View Post

Question: I just bought a Macbook over the weekend, what is Apple's policy if I return this computer in exchange for the newly bumped specs?

I know the bump in speed, memory and space isn't that significant for the $1299 machine, but I'm just curious. I've already ordered my 4gb memory, but the added hard drive space would be nice. Going from 2.2ghz to 2.4 doesn't make that much difference, right?

Usually its a "14 day - no questions asked" policy. I've made use of it myself. I say go exchange it, even just to protect your investment as you now essentially have an out-of-date, yet completely fine, machine.
  • Reply 12 of 423
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    OK, it is as I feared: the Aluminium design can now be safely displayed to the Modern Computer Museum as the design with the longest life ever. It not only exceeded 5 years of life, but after this update it is here to stay for some months yet at least.
  • Reply 13 of 423
    I'm liking the 512MB graphics.
  • Reply 14 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felixkunze View Post

Usually its a "14 day - no questions asked" policy. I've made use of it myself. I say go exchange it, even just to protect your investment as you now essentially have an out-of-date, yet completely fine, machine.

'No questions asked?" I thought there was some sort of restocking fee involved here.
  • Reply 15 of 423
    The $1099 Macbook still only has a Combo Optical Drive!? Come on Apple, I think Superdrives across the board have been due for quite some time.
  • Reply 16 of 423
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartz View Post

I have to say from a strategic adoption point of view, it was a major oversight not to include multi-touch trackpads on the Macbook. Surely you want to drive even more sales of the most popular, mainstream mac unit and get people using a technology which is currently a Mac only experience. I think by not putting this into the hands of more switchers, Apple are potentially driving people to wait for its eventual arrival and put off a purchase than to say ohhh i'll just pay more and get a pro. Also Apple can we get a proper graphics card in the Macbook....please?

Because they have to give you a reason to purchase a more expensive machine. Just like you don't get all the bells and whistles on a low-end car. It keeps the cost down and differentiates the product line.

You want multi-touch? Pay for it!
  • Reply 17 of 423
    I really hope this is a mistake but knowing Apple of late it probably isn't...

Not only do we pay a ridiculous dividend for Apple products in light of current exchange rates (Apple TV 2.0 for example) but now with the Macbook pro we are getting lower spec'd graphics cards too?

What the hell has got into Apple? I am losing my patience as an Apple user.
  • Reply 18 of 423
    Seems pretty disappointing - I was hoping for a case/keyboard refresh
  • Reply 19 of 423
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Oh, did I say that we are fast approaching March 2008 and yet the entry level MB has still a combo drive? At 1000 euros?

Otherwise, I find the MB update quite solid.
  • Reply 20 of 423
    No multitouch for macbooks and the apple remotes now are not included. Disappointing indeed...