Fortune: Jobs hid cancer for nine months

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe not Perceptive Pixel... using a fully multi-touch computer is a huge energy waster. With a keyboard and mouse your movement is minimal and largely efficient. Spend 30 minutes using one of Jeff Han's computer interfaces and you'll need a gallon of Gatorade.

I really don't see the problem there, even if true. I think most people should get that workout.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But once you get cancer, I don't think there is any alternative medicine that can fix it. Poisoning, nuking,or whatever, it's often the best option, if you want to live longer than the prognosis, because if they chose that route, then it's a safe bet that they consider the cancer to be deadlier than the cure....

My cousin who was offered radiation therapy was told that she would most likely develop Leukemia within 10 years... so die now or die later... a friend of mine's mother got melanoma and was given 6 months to live - went out to Mexico got treatment there and has been alive ever since (15 years)...

Obviously there is never one solution for everything.. as jeff79m said there should be a happy medium instead of a "alternative medicine is delusional" viewpoint...
  • Reply 63 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I really don't see the problem there, even if true. I think most people should get that workout.

It has nothing to do with fitness really. It's all about efficiency.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

but now that they are talking successor at Apple I wonder.

There is nobody talking about a successor to Jobs at Apple. Trust me. NOBODY.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I think it would be a mistake to not work on lining up a successor, and have one or more people learn from Jobs. It's his direction that makes or breaks the company. Not starting it until after he gets into even an auto accident or plane crash, would mean a lost stride and plenty of lost time and maybe years regaining it. Someone mentioned Disney. Yes, the company continued on, but it seemed like they lost a couple decades getting back into their stride again.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I doubt that. The board of directors would be negligent not to... I can't wait to see the lawsuits coming out of this!
  • Reply 67 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think it would be a mistake to not work on lining up a successor, and have one or more people learn from Jobs. It's his direction that makes or breaks the company. Not starting it until after he gets into even an auto accident or plane crash, would mean a lost stride and plenty of lost time and maybe years regaining it. Someone mentioned Disney. Yes, the company continued on, but it seemed like they lost a couple decades getting back into their stride again.

If I were the megalomanic, perfectionist, sociopathic, control freak CEO of Apple I'd be setting up future paths for the next person to take. After all, the most likely situation is that Jobs is going to be spending the last years of his life watching as someone stagnates or kills the the company he created and then saved, or he's going to watch it grow even further based on his outlines.

I think Cook is the man, and have no doubt that whomever the successor is will be cherry picked for continuing what Jobs started, and then started again.

PS: I know I just said some pretty rude things about Jobs and I meant them, but I still admire the guy for his accomplishments. It's amazing how he creates a winning products time and time again for over 30 years.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I were the megalomanic, perfectionist, sociopath, control freak CEO of Apple I'd be setting up future paths for the next person to take. After all, the most likely situation is that Jobs is going to be spending the last years of his life watching as someone stagnates or kills the the company he created and then saved, or he's going to watch it grow even further based on his outlines.

I think Cook is the man, and have no doubt who the successor is will be cherry picked for continuing what Jobs started and started again.

PS: I know I just said so pretty ruse things about Jobs and I meant them, but I still admire the guy for his accomplishments. It's amazing how he creates a winning products time and time again for over 30 years.

I really don't think it's about rudeness or anything like that. I think there are those elements that you talk about in who he is. I think that's possibly a component of why he's successful.

I would consider the parents of a family to be at least somewhat negligent if it didn't prepare for a possible untimely death with a will and related preparations. I think a ~$100B company without solid plans should one of their key employees suffer an untimely death or departure should be a point of outrage on the part of shareholders. You can't plan on when death happens, but you can plan the response.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Excellent point. I too have seen several family member go through the hell-on-earth that is our current "scientific" treatment for cancer. Modern medicine considers a lot of homeopathic regimens to be barbaric - but the same could be said of bombarding the body with slightly less-than-lethal amounts of radiation.

It's scientific because hypothesis based research is used to prove the ability of a treatment to cure or extend life. Clinical trails of chemo, radiation, surgery (what have you have) been done against a control group and it's know what benefit a patient population will receive from a treatment. Doctors are not guessing when they do these things. It's not always certain what an individual's outcome will be but it is certain that a given % of patients will have a 10 year survival of X when give treatment A.

Quote:

Doctors used to prescribe blood-letting as a treatment for certain illnesses which often led people's deaths.. so no popular treatment is infallible.

Blood letting was never subjected to a randomized trail. As far as I know.

Quote:

As for Job's health problems... I agree that they aren't anyone else's business. No one can make those kinds of choices for anyone else... If Steve had died from using a diet only regimen... would the shareholders sue his family?

If you're going to invest millions in Apple because Job is doing such a great job then it's good to know he's not going to croak anytime soon.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

No one would want toxic levels of poisons coursing through their bodies if there was an alternative that could help.

According to the article, he delayed getting surgery, it doesn't talk about chemo etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff79m View Post

Why do we look at medicine as only "science" or "alternative", why can't we use both.

For someone who wants to give alternative medicine a shot, "both" is probably the best course of action. There's probably no harm in giving alternative medicine a shot, what is questionable is refusing (or delaying, in the case of something that generally needs to be treated ASAP) medical treatment in favor of alternative medicine.

I have to say, I'm pretty shocked that he would do that, and it makes me question my faith in his decision making. Sure, his health is his business, but when you have money invested in a company, do you really want to be hearing that the guy in charge is ignoring his doctors' advice and making decisions that could end up dying from something that should be treatable?
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

But that's the point. The "alternatives" don't work. If you could adjust your diet and cure cancer, pharmaceuticals would study it, isolate the compounds that help, figure out the perfect dosage, put it in a pill, and make millions of dollars for "cure for cancer."

Actually, some of the alternatives do work. Christian Science has healed numerous cases of cancer and other diseases. See:

http://www.churchofchristscientist.o...timonies.jhtml

http://www.spirituality.com/

http://www.christianscienceorlando.com/

Admittedly, the best route is to prevent cancer from occurring in the first place, and this can be accomplished by combining the ancestral diet with one, maybe two, supplements. ViaViente has the best track record, and an extremely high ORAC rating. See:

http://www.mercola.com/

http://www.viaviente.com/

In short: get the crap out of your diet--the sugar, the high-glycemic carbs, the sugar substitutes, the processed food. Note that even some vegans pollute their bodies with this garbage.

And never think of yourself as just a lump of matter. Man is far more complex than that, and is essentially a spiritual, rather than a material, entity. Otherwise the early Christians would not have been able to heal the sick, and raise the dead, and to continue doing so for 250 to 300 years after the ascension of Christ.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

And just how do you think that they can do it?

Right now, if the Board does not feel that Jobs is deemed capable to fulfill his duties, the 2nd in command (2IC) will take over the helm, but only temporarily. That is until the Board convenes, deliberates and announces a successor.

I would suggest that the 2IC is well aware of who he is and is one of the faces profiled here. http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

However, it is not necessary that the permanent CEO is currently working for Apple. The Board may decide to go outside.

For sure, not one of the current senior executives is being groomed as a 'successor', i.e., in Jobs's mold. There is nobody there that could fill the bill entirely and one would wonder if there is anybody at all, anywhere. No matter how many years of training one has had. If anything, only a direct descendent of Jobs would come anywhere near the profile.

It should be noted that the current group of Apple executives have their own jobs to do. And their consideration to take over the helm won't be based on a Sadam Hussein look-alike strategy, but by the degree of success at what the are doing now and whether they are capable of multitasking at Steve's level. And even then, the Board will make the final decision.

No doubt, there will be a day when Apple is Jobsless. A very sad day indeed. A day that nobody except a few idiots posting here is looking forward to. Will Apple survive? Absolutely, but not without some valleys, some of which may appear insurmountable. But I am confident that the 'core' is solid, well defined and with superior guidance will continue to flourish. Perhaps not with the flair, insightfulness and conviction that it is currently being lead, but one that our grandchildren will one day say, "Dad, who the heck is Steve Jobs?"
  • Reply 73 of 94
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

It just dawned on me the other day that nothing has really changed since I first started using a Mac.

It's still a W.I.M.P. environment, and I still have to wade through nested folders that are presented in exactly the same way as they were in System 7. Okay there is a lot more eye-candy, the icons now bounce and there's now a neat little sidebar running down the side of the Finder window, but in the years that have passed since System 7 there haven't been any fundamental breakthroughs ? no paradigm shifts.

I don't believe that the future of computing lies with Apple. Yes they are the best of a bad bunch, and yes SJ has had an incredible impact on the industry whilst it was his turn to run with the baton. But it's almost time for him to hand on the baton, and I suspect that it'll be a company like Perceptive Pixel that picks it up... if Apple go round the track for another lap we'll only end up with another generation of machines that do exactly what the previous generation of machines did.

you realize that w.i.m.p. computing has only been around on the consumer level now for around 14 years? in any other industry, this would be considered a very young product. products like what perceptive pixel is working on are years away and with good reason.

iphone/ipod touch are apple's first experiment with multitouch interfaces. you really think that apple isn't looking to expand on that and other ideas in the future?

and who's to say that system 7's folder system is terribly flawed? and are you forgetting about column view, spotlight search, and the sidebar for common folders? these all make navigation much easier
  • Reply 74 of 94
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    In my opinion, Jobs has a unique feel about how he can come up with a product that can change an industry. I think the most important asset of his, however, is that he is not trying to please anyone and he doesn't want to prove anything.

If I were in the board, I wouldn?t be looking for the "best" manager, the "best" engineer or the most "clever" individual to replace SJ. Instead, I would be looking for the most uncompromised person in the company. Someone who is not afraid to get it wrong!
  • Reply 75 of 94
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    These days I view "alternative medicine" as little more than faith based medicine. Because there is little to no proof that most of methods people use as "alternative" have any efficacy at all. You may as well pray to be a pentecostal dancing around with snakes.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

he talks about it in here
  • Reply 77 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtoub View Post

I

In retrospect, it was critical that SJ had his operation, since there would have been no way for anyone to know that this was indeed resectable and curable without a Whipple procedure. The sad reality is that many patients with panceatic cancer in general have few options for beneficial treatment, so while my physician side is skeptical, my nonphysician side can certainly understand where Jobs was coming from by initialy declining surgery. Also, please realize that no one can or should judge someone until that person has been in the same shoes. No one on this forum, myself included, has had pancreatic cancer, and so cannot judge the actions of others like Steve Jobs in this regard.

Steve is Apple's best salesperson and a visionary.

Many people particularly if they have a type "A" type of personality, which Steve might - certainly are prone to such things. Alternative therapies can help particularly if the recipient believes and true - often western medicines cause terrible side effects.

My only message is have faith that the body is healthy, and may we send our best wishes and thoughts that he will continue for a long time to come.

Tony/Singapore.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    Quote:

Normally, not, but this particular bit of private life happens to intersect with the operational interests of a whole corporation and their stock holders.

Does YOUR boss have a right to know if YOU have a disease that could potentially "intersect with the operational interests of a whole corporation and their stock holders"?

Or is it the size of the financial risk that is an issue?
  • Reply 79 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markspain View Post

Actually, some of the alternatives do work. Christian Science has healed numerous cases of cancer and other diseases. See:

http://www.churchofchristscientist.o...timonies.jhtml

http://www.spirituality.com/

http://www.christianscienceorlando.com/

Admittedly, the best route is to prevent cancer from occurring in the first place, and this can be accomplished by combining the ancestral diet with one, maybe two, supplements. ViaViente has the best track record, and an extremely high ORAC rating. See:

http://www.viaviente.com/

In short: get the crap out of your diet--the sugar, the high-glycemic carbs, the sugar substitutes, the processed food. Note that even some vegans pollute their bodies with this garbage.

And never think of yourself as just a lump of matter. Man is far more complex than that, and is essentially a spiritual, rather than a material, entity. Otherwise the early Christians would not have been able to heal the sick, and raise the dead, and to continue doing so for 250 to 300 years after the ascension of Christ.

At least somebody knows what they're talking about...

Isn't "Christian science" an oxymoron?
  • Reply 80 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbwright View Post

At least somebody knows what they're talking about...

Isn't "Christian science" an oxymoron?

No, not really. You're thinking of medical science.

Spend a lot more time at:

and you'll see what I mean. And have a look at:

http://www.mercola.com/townofallopath/townofallopath.htm