Apple's iPhone SDK sees 100,000 downloads in four days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Apple aren't allowing anyone to sell or give it away until June

- so what's the problem?

None yet, but how many months will it be before non-US developers get to sell software on the Apple store and when can we sell software without the Apple store?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

None yet, but how many months will it be before non-US developers get to sell software on the Apple store and when can we sell software without the Apple store?

You will be able to sell software like everyone else once the App Store / iTunes is launched in June.

There will be no preference for US developers.

And you will not be allowed to sell applications without using the Apps Store / iTunes, that will be the ONLY distribution method for users.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:

I can't think that it would be a problem, or that Apple would deliberately hold up internationally generated apps

- unless there's a payment issue for international developers

- there might be contractual issues

- I'm just guessing why they said US-only
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

You will be able to sell software like everyone else once the App Store / iTunes is launched in June.

There will be no preference for US developers.

"The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available to a limited number of developers in the U.S. and will expand to other countries in the coming months."

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

Quote:

And you will not be allowed to sell applications without using the Apps Store / iTunes, that will be the ONLY distribution method for users.

I really think that's a restriction too far and I'm not alone...

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/...dk-bug-filing/
  • Reply 25 of 48
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Actually, more importantly, the app store will be the ONLY way to get anything on the iPod, even if it is free. So anyone wanting to put an app on a phone will have to pay at least $99 to Apple to get it on there.

Oh, and I wonder what Apple's intentions are for companies wanting to give away free software that requires a subscription to use (like Quicken did with their current 'web-based iPhone app'). Will it still be 'free', or are they going to want their cut? Or are they just going to say "What, you want someone to pay a subscription? Sorry, charge a year's subscription price for the app so we can get our 30%")
  • Reply 26 of 48
    There's also the issue of how developers release beta versions to a limited set of testers - not everyone on the App Store? If they can't, that seems like the App Store will have the opposite effect on application stability than the wheat/chaff separation a $99 entry fee would suggest.

And how do you charge for upgrades?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Actually, more importantly, the app store will be the ONLY way to get anything on the iPod, even if it is free. So anyone wanting to put an app on a phone will have to pay at least $99 to Apple to get it on there.

Oh, and I wonder what Apple's intentions are for companies wanting to give away free software that requires a subscription to use (like Quicken did with their current 'web-based iPhone app'). Will it still be 'free', or are they going to want their cut? Or are they just going to say "What, you want someone to pay a subscription? Sorry, charge a year's subscription price for the app so we can get our 30%")

Just your statement, "So anyone wanting to put an app on a phone will have to pay at least $99 to Apple to get it on there." tells me that you don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just your statement, "So anyone wanting to put an app on a phone will have to pay at least $99 to Apple to get it on there." tells me that you don't know what you are talking about.

Then please explain to us how you can get an app on the iPhone without spending $99. Because only the developer program developers are going to have the ability to do this, and that costs $99 to join. Or you can go through the App store. But to put something on the app store, you have to be in the developer program, so, again, you still need to pay the $99.

What am I missing?
  • Reply 29 of 48
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Then please explain to us how you can get an app on the iPhone without spending $99. Because only the developer program developers are going to have the ability to do this, and that costs $99 to join. Or you can go through the App store. But to put something on the app store, you have to be in the developer program, so, again, you still need to pay the $99.

What am I missing?

You previously stated in part and wrongly that, "?anyone wanting to put an app on a phone will have to pay at least $99 to Apple?"

The addition of the phrase at least implies either, that it costs more than $99 or more for one app, or there could be more charges to add more apps.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

You previously stated in part and wrongly that, "?anyone wanting to put an app on a phone will have to pay at least $99 to Apple?"

The addition of the phrase at least implies either, that it costs more than $99 or more for one app, or there could be more charges to add more apps.

Well, it will be 'at least' $99. If you want to sell an app, they will take a piece of the pie there (whether you want to consider that 'paying apple' or just 'apple taking a fee that you never had' is up for interpretation).
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

No, Louzer is right. If you're developing an app, you have to pay $99 to distribute it via the App Store or $299 for the enterprise installer although they've not nailed down what the enterprise option is yet. By 'anyone' we're talking about developers here as this is a thread about the SDK, not the unwashed masses who buy apps from the store.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

No, Louzer is right. If you're developing an app, you have to pay $99 to distribute it via the App Store or $299 for the enterprise installer although they've not nailed down what the enterprise option is yet. By 'anyone' we're talking about developers here as this is a thread about the SDK, not the unwashed masses who buy apps from the store.

You're BOTH wrong.

You don't pay 99 to sell your app.

You pay 99 to join the group and be able to develope the app.

If you sell it, or run it on your own phone, or give it away for free, you pay 99 bucks to join the group.

I think you guys that want to whine about paying 99 bucks to be able to develope and give away software for free ought to go back to the freeware forum and count the 5 dollar checks that people mail you for your "free" software you develope.

Apple is giving you a development kit, documentation, a store to distribute your software with, global distriubution and it all costs 99 bucks. And you want it cheaper, and think Apple is making money off you?

And if you decide to actually sell it for money, you don't need to do any accounting, mailing, credit card transactions, and they want 30%, and you still want to whine about it?

Fine, go build apps for Nokia or Windows Mobile.

Knock yourself out.

The idea that Apple is over-charging on this, or acting in some way different than protecting a platform (phone world) from how you could get whacked by others, the idea that that is a problem or an over-charge issue is just stupid.

Go back to Balmer, the whining sounds really silly....
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You're BOTH wrong.

If you sell it, or run it on your own phone, or give it away for free, you pay 99 bucks to join the group.

No, that's wrong. You can download the SDK for free and develop apps.

You have to pay however to sell them, or give them away or distribute them yourself within your enterprise.

Quote:

I think you guys that want to whine about paying 99 bucks to be able to develope and give away software for free ought to go back to the freeware forum and count the 5 dollar checks that people mail you for your "free" software you develope.

Irrelevant.

Quote:

Apple is giving you a development kit, documentation, a store to distribute your software with, global distriubution and it all costs 99 bucks. And you want it cheaper, and think Apple is making money off you?

Never said so. But again, Irrelevant.

Quote:

And if you decide to actually sell it for money, you don't need to do any accounting, mailing, credit card transactions, and they want 30%, and you still want to whine about it?

I don't think anyone is complaining about that. It seems perfectly reasonable to me if you want an end-to-end no-hassle system.

Quote:

Fine, go build apps for Nokia or Windows Mobile.

Knock yourself out.

Ah yes, the "Don't like the Apple way, try the highway" approach to developer relations.

Quote:

The idea that Apple is over-charging on this, or acting in some way different than protecting a platform (phone world) from how you could get whacked by others, the idea that that is a problem or an over-charge issue is just stupid.

Nobody has said anything of the sort. Why Apple insist you go through their store ONLY is a little off perhaps. If they don't like your app then you've nowhere to sell it! That's not whining, it's a valid complaint.

Quote:

Go back to Balmer, the whining sounds really silly....

In that spirit, "stop drinking the Kool-Aid".
  • Reply 34 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In the end Aegies and Louzers calls of unfair treatment will soon ring hollow when tens of thousands of apps hit the App Store.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In the end Aegies and Louzers calls of unfair treatment will soon ring hollow when tens of thousands of apps hit the App Store.

I've never said the App Store was unfair. Sounds like a Gold Rush to me.

But one store from which to buy your apps, with one shop keeper, isn't healthy for diverse development. I'm sure it will sort itself out though just as the phone's been jailbroken many times already.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

No, that's wrong. You can download the SDK for free and develop apps.

You have to pay however to sell them, or give them away or distribute them yourself within your enterprise.

You have to pay -- if you want to use your own apps on your own iphone.

What good is if you download the SDK for free and develop apps that will only be run inside an emulator.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

You're BOTH wrong.

You need to learn to read and comprehend better. The only comment was that, in order to put anything you wrote on the iPhone, you had to pay at least $99 to apple. Even if it's something simple.

My biggest gripe on the whole iPhone apps thing is the store. Apple's basically adding to their empire of total control. When someone brings up licensing Fairplay, the response is always "Apple doesn't want to have DRM! They'd want to be DRM-free, because the customer is better off!" (which doesn't actually defend not licensing Fairplay). But I guess that's the case now because they've already got their market for music.

So now Apps are going to be controlled by Apple. But this time it's "We need to protect the phone, the network, and the users!" and people drink it up like you wouldn't believe (because, even though it runs OS X, it is somehow a major security hole waiting to happen).

And, apparently you belong to the "If you've got something critical to say concerning Apple, go back to Windows!" camp. That's nice. But I thought open criticism was a way to get things better.

Quote:

Who said anything about unfair treatment. We're just arguing the cost of making an app.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

I'm sure it will sort itself out though just as the phone's been jailbroken many times already.

Part of the reason for this is that Apple knowingly has not closed all of the security holes it easily could have closed.

This reminds me of the OSx86 or the hackintosh project. People predicted that OS X would be free from Apple and their would be a vibrant healthy community supporting OS X on the general PC.

This didn't really happen. Their probably are some number of people with a hackintosh, but nothing what people thought it would be.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

Who said anything about unfair treatment. We're just arguing the cost of making an app.

I've heard it cost over $1000 a year to develop for Windows Mobile and Black Berry. How much should Apple charge?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

I've heard it cost over $1000 a year to develop for Windows Mobile and Black Berry. How much should Apple charge?

The same as Mac OSX.