Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference set for June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Apple ventures into bridge engineering?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

I think Apple will announce developer tools that will allow you to use the same code for both platforms (iphone and mac)

That doesn't make sense. iPhone app versions should be specialized to the iPhones hardware: screen size constraints, multi-touch interface, 3D accelerometer in some cases, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

I think Apple will announce developer tools that will allow you to use the same code for both platforms (iphone and mac)

To add to ic's comment, Cocoa and Cocoa Touch aren't the same. I think it's probably a very bad idea as the app needs to be tweaked to the platform, and it's a lot more than just a recomplile.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

To add to ic's comment, Cocoa and Cocoa Touch aren't the same. I think it's probably a very bad idea as the app needs to be tweaked to the platform, and it's a lot more than just a recomplile.

To counter, I would say Apple could potentially end up with more developers on the iPhone than OSX, and would want to make it possible to bring them over competly. Furthermore, I would say that a lot of apps on the iPhone and OSX would idealy work hand in hand. For example - Filemaker Pro: how different would the OSX version differ from the iPhone version? Other than a streamlined UI of course, and going easier on the system resources, not sure why Apple couldn't come up with a way to consolidate development. I mean, let's face it - the iPhone is not going to be the only super mobile platform coming out of Apple.

Just my guess, of course I could be completely fucking wrong.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    The two bridges are obviously the Billy Joel album "The Bridge" and that one book "Bridges of Madison County." Uh, wait, what were we talking about again?

I know Apple shies away from new hardware at WWDC these days, but is it too much to hope that the MBP's will be revamped for the show? Developers like shiny new laptops, don't they?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd051572 View Post

Do I have to have more than an online ADC membership to buy a ticket? The purchase page says that a membership is required to activate the ticket, but it doesn't say if it is the paying kind of membership, or if the free one will do.

Thanks!

If you buy the Premiere membership it comes with one developer conference pass.

More information:

http://developer.apple.com/products/
  • Reply 27 of 42
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    http://developer.apple.com/products/wwdc.html

By the way, $1295 for the ticket is much better than the $1995 I paid in 1999.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Two distinct sectors (Bridges) of the market, this being the Mac and the iPhone, unitizing a common pathway, Mac OS X. This thereby creating a landmark for Mac OS X in that it will become the preferred OS to develop upon.

Actually it just means that developing for Mac and iPhone is as fast as driving on the highway or a walk in the park.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    The two bridges stand for, the iPhone's SDK, and the new xMac!
  • Reply 30 of 42
    They should have better video card is the macbook black, the macbooks pro need to be a little better as well.

The Mac pro should have new pci-e video cards out for it.

The Imacs need to have better ones as the old Imac had better video.

The mini needs to become a full size desktop with a good video card and desktop parts.

you can drop the mini down the g4 mini price and keep it low end but right now it is over priced a low end desktop at todays mini prices will still make apple money on it while letting apple have a good base system to BTO for gameing and mid-level pro work. Asking $2300 for a Sever / Workstation with a ATI 2600 XT and havening to add $200 more just for a 8800 GT will not cut next to just about all other gameing systems. The mac pro also comes with FB-DIMMS that are not the best for gameing.

The macpro can do cross fire will apple add that to there drivers + give you the bridges?
  • Reply 31 of 42
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    2 bridges over troubled water...APPL sinking?
  • Reply 32 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Two bridges, Apple is spinning off iPod/iPhone into a new company "i, inc." Apple stock will split, Steve is cloning himself ???
  • Reply 33 of 42
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I think I'm actually going to pay and go this year. I highly encourage all of you college students to apply for the scholarship. One of the best times I ever had.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    There was a headline on Macrumors.com in '06 that said they were supposed to come out with the next version of Shake (or something similar) this year. Perhaps they will do that at the WWDC.

I would also like to see Apple dive more into 3D and gaming. I played Guitar Hero III on a Mac Pro the other day, and the game kept having hiccups every time I tried out "Kool Thing" by Sonic Youth. Maybe they could come up with a "Core 3D" engine, somehow, or - as another poster suggested - expand their graphics capabilities towards the higher-end graphics cards. 3D and gaming are Apple's two main weaknesses, and Apple - as they have done in other areas - needs to deliver the goods.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    dancdanc Posts: 3member
    Looking at their wording, it seems clear that, in at least one way, the event is about landmarks, literally!

It must then be about (true) gps and/or some new location-based application(s). Very interesting. What can they be?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanC View Post

Looking at their wording, it seems clear that, in at least one way, the event is about landmarks, literally!

It must then be about (true) gps and/or some new location-based application(s). Very interesting. What can they be?

That would be awesome! But do you think that true GPS will show up only in 2nd generation iphones/itouches? i can't see them adding such a massive service without a new form factor...i could be wrong!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I made a simple countdown widget to WWDC

http://www.callegrafi.se/wwdc/WWDC08.zip

• Reply 38 of 42
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Ok dang nabbit!! I want to comment on new hardware at WWDC 08. So just for the record here is my expert opinion:

Iphone 3G

Iphone Nano

and...........drum roll please......................

...........MACTOUCH FTW!!!

Nuff said.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Apple will announce convergence of its operating system across the entire product line, with possibility of developed software that

Runs on OSX on your mac

Runs on OSX on your iphone

Runs on OSX on your iphone/touch/itab-newton

and your Apple TV runs on the above, with iphone/touch/tab as a remote etc.

All Paths Converge!

Maybe a dock or wireless to your Apple TV for your iphone/touch/tab to pick up programing to schedule/watch later.

+++some unheard of magic with the touch interface and a couple new upgrades to Apple TV.

The 5th major stream (Macs, iPods, iPhones, ATV, and .... itab? bring cigars.

I Like Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    vanfrunikenvanfruniken Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...its invite image for the event ... which features two Golden Gate bridges ...

Get it?