Apple slips out Apple TV 2.0.1 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Preparing the Apple TV's viewers for the weekend, Apple on Friday night patched its media hub to version 2.0.1.

The fix, available through the Apple TV's own update utility, is not documented by the company and appears primarily to be a maintenance update.

However, a preliminary discovery reveals a Genres category under My Movies, letting owners browse by type.

The download represents the first minor upgrade to the Apple TV's firmware since February's Take 2 overhaul introduced a completely redesigned interface as well as support for iTunes movie rentals and streaming podcasts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I haven't updated mine yet, but let's hope it fixes the sluggishness in the menus.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I haven't updated mine yet, but let's hope it fixes the sluggishness in the menus.

Same thing I was thinking. Browsing "My Movies" is very slow with 2.0
  • Reply 3 of 23
    djpadzdjpadz Posts: 37member
    It looks like the periodic freezes are still happening, although after upgrading, I saw a "Syncing with iTunes... Please Wait" dialog.

Also, it would appear as though the genres selection only refers to purchasable movies; not ones already in your collection.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I don't seem to have that problem with 2.0, I wonder why some folks do? I have not updated this latest patch yet. I just wish Apple could get a few more HD movies up there soon.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

Also, it would appear as though the genres selection only refers to purchasable movies; not ones already in your collection.

All my movies show up under their genres.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I keep thinking that Apple will eventually allow us to play video playlists (like music video's)... You know, so that we don't have to sit there during a party, and manually enter the next song. Right now it's a pain! Guess I'll keep waiting...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Ever since updating both of my ATVs (40 GB and 160GB) to version 2.0, when they go into sleep mode and I try to bring them back all I can get is the Apple logo on the screen and the only fix is to unplug the power cord for a hard reset. So basically I unplug them like once a day to get them to work again.

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem? I wonder if the update will fix it? Guess I'll go load it now and see
  • Reply 8 of 23
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    After updating mine, I had to redo all my network settings. Not a huge deal, but a little annoying to have to re-enter my 64 character WPA password! I don't really notice any functional differences since the update. Has anyone noted anything explicitly different?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    allanfallanf Posts: 23member
    After installing upgrade does anyone else now have a pink background (mine was black) and also anyone still having problems with icons displaying on podcast "favorites"? \
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I have a 40 gig ATV and when I try to update the firmware the screen just shows an icon of the ATV with a blinking question mark above it. Anyone else have this problem? \
  • Reply 11 of 23
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    It did not fix the stalling issue when navigating through a long list of movies. Some of my movies only play sound now, whereas before, sound and video worked perfectly.

We need folders and playlists!!!!!!! I hate scrolling my mile-long list of movies. Plus, the YouTube interface is very small, with plenty of screen real estate available for resizing. I can hardly read the text on a 52 inch Sharp Aquos.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

Ever since updating both of my ATVs (40 GB and 160GB) to version 2.0, when they go into sleep mode and I try to bring them back all I can get is the Apple logo on the screen and the only fix is to unplug the power cord for a hard reset. So basically I unplug them like once a day to get them to work again.

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem? I wonder if the update will fix it? Guess I'll go load it now and see

Me too! I updated to 2.01, but haven't checked if the same thing occurs.

I don't unplug mine - I hold the menu and "-" key until a restart menu item comes up.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Am I the only one getting - or who doesn't like - the pink screen with washed out back ground? \
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllanF View Post

Am I the only one getting - or who doesn't like - the pink screen with washed out back ground? \

Okay - all fixed - powered down and came back up fine.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

All my movies show up under their genres.

Were these purchased movies? I should have been more specific in my post; I was referring to movies that were from my own DVD rips. Those movies aren't showing up in the Genres section.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Apple should integrate hulu.com in Apple TV.

That will be so awesome
  • Reply 17 of 23
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

Were these purchased movies? I should have been more specific in my post; I was referring to movies that were from my own DVD rips. Those movies aren't showing up in the Genres section.

Did you specify the genre in iTunes?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Here's another thing I've noticed in general about the AppleTV... The default title sorting is different in the ATV versus iTunes. For example, iTunes places numbers after letters when sorting movie titles, but ATV places them (correctly, IMO) at the top. Also, iTunes will ignore special characters in a title, and sort according to the first alphanumeric, so a title like ¡Three Amigos! gets sorted with the T's, where AppleTV places it at the top of the list.

I did, however, notice that 2.0.1 seems to do a better job of honoring "Sort Names," though it doesn't appear to be entirely consistent.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Did you specify the genre in iTunes?

I retract... I was looking at the wrong "genres" selection. Guess I missed the one at the top of the title list in My Movies. :-)

Sorry for the confusion/thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I also have the same problem with the Apple logo, I have installed the new upgrade

and it seems to have fixed the problem