anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I waaaaaaaaaant!
  • Reply 82 of 189
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hunnicutt View Post

News flash: analysts will pick this up and claim it as their own for further proof that folks need to buy AAPL......

They don't even need to do that, AAPL is already up almost $40 from recent lows. People buy AAPL because the company is making good profits and because they believe apple's strategy will bring better profits in the future.

So far, it's worked damn well for me, recession or no recession.
  • Reply 83 of 189
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Fix the DVD slot design in the 15 inch MacBook Pro. These models often experience warped DVD slots due to pressure from the top. The front of the slot can also bend outward. When the slot gets bent, DVDs can no longer be inserted or ejected properly. To repair a damaged dvd slot requires technicians to completely disassemble the laptop, remove every single internal component, and replace the entire bottom case. The 17 inch MacBook Pro does not have this problem because the slot is part of the top case rather than the bottom. Replacing the top case is a lot easier than replacing the bottom. Better yet, make the DVD drive user replaceable so people can slide it out and put in a second battery.
  • Reply 84 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

You need to lose the fanboy elitist attitude. Nobody is asking apple to be the next dell, nor to do "everything".

There will be no video iPods. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod. Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 85 of 189
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I think it is very unfair to call the MacBook enclosure 'Tawdry' :-

tawdry = showy but cheap and of poor quality, sordid or unpleasant

You're right! Apple white plastic is not poor quality. It stays white over time, unlike my "white", now very yelow Cuisinart.
  • Reply 86 of 189
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

There will be no video iPods. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod. Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Apple will never release a phone. Apple will never release a budget headless desktop. Apple will never release an ultraportable...
  • Reply 87 of 189
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I think it is very unfair to call the MacBook enclosure 'Tawdry' :-

tawdry = showy but cheap and of poor quality, sordid or unpleasant

But mine is of low quality; at least the three major cracks that appeared despite it never having been dropped would suggest as much.

Quote:

Apple will never release a phone. Apple will never release a budget headless desktop. Apple will never release an ultraportable...

What ultraportable has Apple released?
  • Reply 88 of 189
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Call me a skeptic. I believe Apple would want to keep a clear distinction between the MacBook Air/Pro line and the MacBook. I don't see Apple making them look the same on the surface, which is what this article seems to be implying.
  • Reply 89 of 189
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    i hope so.... The MacBook and MacBook Pro need some major redesigning.
  • Reply 90 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

But it is of low quality.

/Adrian

I'm a nanny, and a babysitter of many more and spend a lot of my free time with my young cousins. I also happen to be a student who beats up on his laptops.

My 13.3" MacBook has survived at the hands of multiple toddlers and worse, myself, since July 2006.

Not a single crack. What's "low quality" about that?
  • Reply 91 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

But mine is of low quality

I understand some had bad cases, but there was a recall. Did you go in for that?
  • Reply 92 of 189
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Call me a skeptic. I believe Apple would want to keep a clear distinction between the MacBook Air/Pro line and the MacBook. I don't see Apple making them look the same on the surface, which is what this article seems to be implying.

You are a skeptic.
  • Reply 93 of 189
    Am I the only one who misses lucite? I wish they would have made more neutral-colored translucent objects, something like the cinema displays before they were re-designed.
  • Reply 94 of 189
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:

Apple will never release a phone. Apple will never release a budget headless desktop. Apple will never release a 3 button mouse...

tftfy,
  • Reply 95 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

While I agree that the MBP could use some tweaking (the latch), I can't think of how they could make any major revisions that would improve it. My 4-year old G4 PowerBook makes my brand new work ThinkPad look like a cheap plastic toy. The bezel around the ThinkPad's screen alone makes me cringe! And my new MBP makes it look even worse!

That is why Steve Jobs said himself, "You can't ask people what they want." You have to create what they want because if they knew, it'd already be made.

I didn't know the second half of the quote but the point is the same.
  • Reply 96 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottie924 View Post

That is why Steve Jobs said himself, "You can't ask people what they want." You have to create what they want because if they knew, it'd already be made.

I guess that's true, because I can't imagine any sensible person saying that they "want" desktop and laptop computers that are service nightmares for technicians.
  • Reply 97 of 189
    Quote:

Why mess with perfection?

Quote:

At least someone here agrees. The MacBook Pro has a timeless look, definitely not dated. Any redesign is only to satisfy superficial desires for something that looks "new."

I'm curious. When the Powerbook G3 Lombard was first introduced, were people at the time calling it "perfect"? How about the Powerbook G3 Pismo? The Powerbook G4 Titanium? The clamshell iBook? The white iBook G3 and G4?

What happens when one "perfect" design is replaced by a total redesign? What about when Steve Jobs admits to weaknesses in previous designs which were supposedly "perfect", like he did when introducing the Magsafe connector? When another "perfect" design is introduced, does the previous design lose its "perfection"? And what about the people who were calling those previous designs "perfect", only to see them replaced by something else? Do those people suddenly look like idiots?
  • Reply 98 of 189
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    I can't believe that the macbook is being called "tawdry white". I love the look. I was disappointed in the tincan look of the new iMac. I guess I'll be disappointed in the look of the new macbooks.

I'm betting I'll be looking for the old-style macbook and upgrade to a used laptop.

Long live white plastic!
  • Reply 99 of 189
    sonadowsonadow Posts: 13member
    Seriously,

i dont give a hoot about any major case redesigns.

What i expect from them, no, demand, is that the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros sport user-replaceable hard disks. The iBook G4 was already an upgrade nightmare. The Macbook Pro is not as nightmarish as the iBook, but is still a pain to change the hdd.

Everything else is pointless.
  • Reply 100 of 189
    doemeldoemel Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

interesting! i just got my first mac ever......

last month only

Good decision. No need to be unhappy. You got a great computer that is going to make you happy for years to come. Don't bother about newer, faster Macs coming out in the meantime because if you do, you'll never be happy. Every time a revision of any Mac model has just been released rumors are abuzz about the next revision being so much better and worth waiting for. Don't buy into that, these kind of upgrades are few and far between and often have some strings attached as they mostly occur when Apple introduces Macs with new architecture/processors, like with the switch to Intel or from G3 to G4 etc. Early adopters were more likely to get burnt with issues.

So don't worry, be happy and just enjoy what you've got. Even if the next MBP and MB introduce a new design. People will be complaining about it first and how much better the old design wasn anyways instead of accepting that Apple knows best what we need.