Sources: Apple planning biggest back-to-school promo yet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple as early as Monday is expected to announce its 2008 back-to-school promotion, which will encourage students to purchase a new Mac through some of the biggest incentives in the company's history, AppleInsider has learned.

Company senior vice president Ron Johnson stoked anticipation of the promo a few weeks ago while addressing some of his retail staff, people familiar with the matter say. Specifically, Johnson is said to have promised that this year's promo would be the biggest "ever" for Apple.

While it's unclear exactly what that means, speculation among those familiar with past promotions believe there's a possibility the Cupertino-based company will tie some of its touch-screen handhelds into the mix -- like the 8GB iPod touch.

Last year's promo offered teachers and students up to a $199 rebate when they purchased a qualifying Mac and either a video iPod or iPod nano at the same time of purchase.

The deal translated into a free 4GB iPod nano, which was then priced at $199. However, participants also had the option to apply the $199 rebate towards the purchase of a pricier 8GB iPod nano or video iPod. The iPhone, Apple TV and refurbished products were excluded from the deal.

In 2006, Apple offered a similar rebate for $179, or the then current cost of a 2GB iPod nano. In 2005 the deal was the same, but good towards a free iPod mini.

In terms of qualified Mac systems, Apple has always excluded the Mac mini from its back-to-school promotions due to its extremely low cost. However, all other Mac systems -- Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac -- have been eligible.

This year, the MacBook Air is expected to join the roster of Macs acceptable for the promotion. Students and teachers will also get to apply their education discounts towards the deal.

On Tuesday, Apple will also be updating some of its retail store planograms, sources say.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
  • Reply 2 of 40
    paulhkimpaulhkim Posts: 5member
    If indeed this back to school season proves to be the best deal yet, I wonder why? Would this have anything to do with Intels chip delay? And unless there's a significant difference from previous years, I doubt it will be a big deal for most Apple users.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    mciarlomciarlo Posts: 11member
    I really want to know if this is a design program at a university or if this is just the result of Apple's marketing.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mciarlo View Post

I really want to know if this is a design program at a university or if this is just the result of Apple's marketing.

Looks a LOT like my graphic design lectures (Ohio State)
  • Reply 5 of 40
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mciarlo View Post

Its from a university... I don't remember where, but it was confirmed. Plus, there's a few PCs scattered around in there.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm suspicious...looks like a Photoshop job to me.

BTW, the Back to School is a great time to pick up a Mac, but would be better if a new MacBook came out before the promo is over.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

promised that this year's promo would be the biggest "ever" for Apple.

While it's unclear exactly what that means, speculation among those familiar with past promotions believe there's a possibility the Cupertino-based company will tie some of its touch-screen handhelds into the mix -- like the 8GB iPod touch.

You think? Wonder why the touch wasn't included in last year's back to school promo?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    bafbaf Posts: 1member
    It's the The Missouri School of Journalism

• Reply 9 of 40
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/15070/

Missouri School of Journalism. It is common for some schools to require a certain type of computer.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Its from a university... I don't remember where, but it was confirmed. Plus, there's a few PCs scattered around in there.

I even see a few poor, underprivileged souls with no laptops at all!

I remember the one guy in my CS lecture back in 1991 that had a laptop, and I didn't like to sit near him because the tapping keys were annoying.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'm suspicious...looks like a Photoshop job to me.

BTW, the Back to School is a great time to pick up a Mac, but would be better if a new MacBook came out before the promo is over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the back to school promo always been tied to specific model numbers? Models not on the list at the start of the promo aren't added.

Edit: I was wrong, see Achiever's post below.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    I'm thinking of buying a MacBook for the first time but now I'm confused. I heard theres a redesign of the MacBook coming out in a few months, so I don't know what to get. The new MacBook which will be more expensive, or get a Macbook during the promo.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    ckellyckelly Posts: 8member
    Macs are not *required* -- just recommended.

http://journalism.missouri.edu/under...uirements.html

"Students are encouraged to acquire wireless laptop technology from Apple, which the School has designated as its preferred provider, but students also will have a choice of a Windows-based alternative. Last year, 99.5 percent of incoming students chose the Apple option."
  • Reply 14 of 40
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the back to school promo always been tied to specific model numbers? Models not on the list at the start of the promo aren't added.

Yikes...that would suck if I waited to get the new models and they weren't eligible for the back-to-school thing. Depending on how "big" the promotion is, I may bite the bullet and go ahead and get my MB or MBP (not sure which yet...) because I actually really need a new mp3 player. Might make it worth foregoing the new aluminum Macbook...
  • Reply 15 of 40
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samaster1991 View Post

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook for the first time but now I'm confused. I heard theres a redesign of the MacBook coming out in a few months, so I don't know what to get. The new MacBook which will be more expensive, or get a Macbook during the promo.

Historically, Apple has been very good about making incremental, not radical, improvements in new models. The most important characteristic--performance--almost never jumps much. The biggest recent exceptions would be when the Quad G5 was introduced, when the Mac Pro was originally introduced, and arguably when the 8-core Mac Pro was introduced. It's much more difficult to make such major strides within the confines of a laptop form factor and energy profile.

I'd say, if you're ready to buy, buy while you can get more for your money (i.e., a MacBook and iPod for the same money as a slightly newer MacBook alone).
  • Reply 16 of 40
    achieverachiever Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

No, not necessarily. Last year, I utilized the back to school deal to pick up a new Aluminum iMac, which was not released until August. I purchased in September, shortly before the deal ended. Got my free iPod & printer discount. That model iMac was not available for several months after the deal was announced/began. I have to believe the laptop refresh expected in August will include this. The REAL question is whether or not the discount will apply to refurb computers. This might prove especially valuable once the laptops are refreshed and old model refurbs drop even further in price.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achiever View Post

No, not necessarily. Last year, I utilized the back to school deal to pick up a new Aluminum iMac, which was not released until August. I purchased in September, shortly before the deal ended. Got my free iPod & printer discount. That model iMac was not available for several months after the deal was announced/began. I have to believe the laptop refresh expected in August will include this. The REAL question is whether or not the discount will apply to refurb computers. This might prove especially valuable once the laptops are refreshed and old model refurbs drop even further in price.

Thanks for the correction, I knew model numbers were listed on the rebate form, but now that I've looked it up, those were just iPod model numbers.

I think I can help with the second part, "are refurbs included in the promo?"

Unless they change the promo from the last 2 years, refurbs won't qualify. Here's the text from the 2007 rebate form:

"PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: This offer is available only on purchases of new products. All Macintosh computers and the Configure-to-order versions of these products are eligible, except for Mac mini. The iPod products listed below are eligible for participation in this offer. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OFFER, BE CERTAIN THAT THE PRODUCT YOU PURCHASE HAS ONE OF THE APPLE PART NUMBERS LISTED BELOW. IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN, PLEASE ASK YOUR SALESPERSON TO CONFIRM TO YOU THAT YOU ARE PURCHASING A PRODUCT THAT IS ELIGIBLE UNDER THIS OFFER. 2GB iPod nano, iPod shuffle, Mac mini, Apple TV, iPhone, and refurbished products are not eligible."
  • Reply 18 of 40
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Its from a university... I don't remember where, but it was confirmed.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Thanks for that late breaking info Encyclopedia Brown.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckelly View Post

Macs are not *required* -- just recommended.

http://journalism.missouri.edu/under...uirements.html

"Students are encouraged to acquire wireless laptop technology from Apple, which the School has designated as its preferred provider, but students also will have a choice of a Windows-based alternative. Last year, 99.5 percent of incoming students chose the Apple option."

Sweet.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    I LOVE that picture. Feels like the lecture halls at my university. (USF!)

Why would Apple push the touch? Isn't that the iPhone with training wheels? A 16gb iPhone (IDK if they will still make 8gb after wwdc) would be AWESOME. And... Apple can afford to give larger discounts b/c they can recoop some cash over the 2yr contract.

Just thoughts.