Report: 3G iPhone 22% thinner, better battery life

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by momoe View Post

Again, 8 straight hours of internet on an iPhone?

Are you walking around, using Edge the whole time? Or are you sitting in a $tarbuck$?

If the latter, why not juice yourself up at some point with a little AC? The adapter is tiny compared with any laptop and is no weight burden to any typical backpack/messenger bag/attaché.

momoe 

I'm very mobile and usually don't have access to AC wall or DC lighter sockets long enough to warrant plugging it in. It serves its purpose well enough, but I could use a few more hours and/or a brighter screen. But it's not everyday that I'm out for that long, but when I am it's good to know I can go for 8 hours.
  • Reply 42 of 113
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I very strongly doubt the veracity of the claims on several grounds.

1. Steve was very worried about 3G's power draining, a problem that would result in A) more battery being placed in or B) lower battery life

2. To increase battery life in a 3G model, it would need a bigger battery. To knock off the size required to get to "22% thinner" would be analogous to taking out the entire touchscreen segment - I know because I have pulled the 1G apart. This doesn't even account for the EXTRA battery room required for more battery to Increase the life of the product.

3. Its not possible to get a battery the same size as it is into a smaller iPhone. There's just too much other hardware. OLED wouldn't make it happen, its still too thick with the touch sensor on the back.

All the other hardware, though still being there would mean the same chipspace if not a little more. There is simply no battery expansion room.

Unless Apple have found a wonderful new power source, I don't see the 22% happening.

I think this is quite plausible. You're missing a few important points:

- the new phone is going to have better integration, so less chips, more room. Same with the screen.

- the computer industry keeps on moving forward, that means better power consumption, smaller size. Last years model probably used 90nm predominately, this one probably uses 65nm.

- Apple have had more time to improve the physical (antenna, case) design which would yield more space. The fact that an all plastic back is rumoured is very telling.

- improved battery time will very likely not refer to 3G, but to 2G, with GS turned off, etc (comapring apples to apples so to speak)

This rumour sounds very sensible and very much like Apple. More memory, thinner with more features. GPS is a no brainer, it's a very popular feature. I'm willing to believe it all.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

3G, 20% thinner, *and* better battery life?

Yeah, right.

"What? An adding machine that'll fit in your pocket? Yeah, right."

"What? A telephone that doesn't have to sit on the end table and will fit it my pocket? Yeah, right."
  • Reply 44 of 113
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    3G AND better battery life?!

Do those Apple engineers ever sleep?
  • Reply 45 of 113
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

One more thing. The iphone is now on Verizion too!

T-mobile! T-mobile! T-mobile!
  • Reply 46 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Sooooo... explain again how he doesn't have a clear financial dependence on all news Apple?

You've missed the point. As an established journalist on Apple, Leander depends on the integrity of facts, not rumors. His product is credibility and insight--why would he risk this in an arena that is saturated enough with rumors? As for analysts, they will profit no matter what they spew.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Performa6200forLIFE View Post

You've missed the point. As an established journalist on Apple, Leander depends on the integrity of facts, not rumors. His product is credibility and insight--why would he risk this in an arena that is saturated enough with rumors?

Dunno, you'd have to ask him why he's doing it... but doing it he is. He is publishing speculation and rumor, and nothing more.

I kind of have to ask why you care so much to start a new account on his behalf.
  • Reply 48 of 113
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Thinner, more battery life, 3G and GPS. Pick only TWO of the three.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wired's Leander Kahney, arguably the most credible yet of those who've weighed in with alleged specs of Apple's upcoming 3G iPhone, is reporting the handset will be 22 percent thinner than its predecessor, not thicker as some earlier reports had suggested.

Citing "a programmer at a major software publisher," Kahney adds that the handset should also sport better battery life than the "up to 8 hours" of talk time advertised alongside its predecessor. It will also include GPS and twice the amount of NAND flash memory: either 16GB or 32GB.

I'm skeptical. They released the old one less than a year ago. In a year, they've supposedly added 3G, GPS, quadrupled the RAM and it's a quarter thinner - yet the battery life has increased?

If true, I'd be ecstatic. I just don't believe it.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

One more thing. The iphone is now on Verizion too!

http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/s...dma/2007-05-23
  • Reply 51 of 113
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Why would a programmer know about the form factor? Even the Apple iPhone programmers didn't know what the 1G would look like. Silly.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I think this is quite plausible. You're missing a few important points:

- the new phone is going to have better integration, so less chips, more room. Same with the screen.

- the computer industry keeps on moving forward, that means better power consumption, smaller size. Last years model probably used 90nm predominately, this one probably uses 65nm.

- Apple have had more time to improve the physical (antenna, case) design which would yield more space. The fact that an all plastic back is rumoured is very telling.

- improved battery time will very likely not refer to 3G, but to 2G, with GS turned off, etc (comapring apples to apples so to speak)

This rumour sounds very sensible and very much like Apple. More memory, thinner with more features. GPS is a no brainer, it's a very popular feature. I'm willing to believe it all.

A lot of what you wrote is not from an understanding of the original technology, but in case you haven't pulled it apart, or in case you didn't read my post, the screen can't be reduced by much at all, it is quite compact as is.

Less chips? Adding GPS adds a chip (count them, there aren't many there and they are tiny as they are. Unless they stop existing, it still doesn't account)

better battery at 2G mode? Of course it will - efficiency increases. To state it straight out about the 3G iphone assumes that 3G is accounted for or its just another iPhone. If 2G of course it will be better battery time, even with the same size battery.

3G though? Battery time will drop, or at the best stay around the same.

8 hours is pretty out of reach for the iPhone I believe at this stage. The 3GOLD chipset isn't that good on power yet.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

A lot of what you wrote is not from an understanding of the original technology, but in case you haven't pulled it apart, or in case you didn't read my post, the screen can't be reduced by much at all, it is quite compact as is.

Less chips? Adding GPS adds a chip (count them, there aren't many there and they are tiny as they are. Unless they stop existing, it still doesn't account)

better battery at 2G mode? Of course it will - efficiency increases. To state it straight out about the 3G iphone assumes that 3G is accounted for or its just another iPhone. If 2G of course it will be better battery time, even with the same size battery.

3G though? Battery time will drop, or at the best stay around the same.

8 hours is pretty out of reach for the iPhone I believe at this stage. The 3GOLD chipset isn't that good on power yet.

So you pulled it apart and now you're a state of the art touchscreen engineer? Best you leave it to the professionals.

As far as your idea on the limitation of chip counts, until there is only one chip in the iPhone, I won't be saying they've gone as far as they can. And chip sizes are largely determined by the number of pins (or balls these days) it has, as chips are combined there is need for less of them since the communication is internal, and the size drops.

I know that a popular maker of Bluetooth chips, CSR, have produced a combination GPS/Bluetooth chip, so GPS need not increase the chip count.

I don't think 2G talk time will increase mostly because of efficiency, but because it'll have a bigger battery. 3G battery life will always be worse (for the foreseeable future at least) but anyone who cares about talk time doesn't walk around in 3G mode anyway.
  • Reply 54 of 113
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Subsidies? Say hello to the new razr.
  • Reply 55 of 113
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I'm cynical. This sounds like a rumor generated to cause a stock drop when the REAL phone is revealed to be thicker.

It would only make the stock drop when revealed to be false if the stock rose on the hopes of it being true. Net result is zero.
  • Reply 56 of 113
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    One of the ways to tell if a rumor is true or not is to ask, Does this use technology that exists today? People frequently forget this when it comes to Apple products. Back when the MacBook Air was still a rumor people were speculating that it would contain an SSD drive at a capacity that was unavailable and a price that was impossibly low. Afterwards they all expressed disappointment that Apple hadn't set up its own factory for creating magical non-existent 256gb SSD drives at prices 10 times below their competitors 64gb drives. With this in mind I find it highly unlikely that Apple has a 3G phone that gets better battery life than its current phone. 3G phones have notoriously bad battery life. Apple doesn't do research on batteries and doesn't make batteries and better power management is never going to give you that kind of battery life.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Performa6200forLIFE View Post

You've missed the point. As an established journalist on Apple, Leander depends on the integrity of facts, not rumors. His product is credibility and insight--why would he risk this in an arena that is saturated enough with rumors? As for analysts, they will profit no matter what they spew.

1. Even established journalists get it very, very wrong. Heck, O'Grady swore up and down that Apple was going to be releasing HDTVs for the living room awhile back, and even the NYT sometimes publishes this drivel. (Heck, I've heard Rob Enderle speak on the subject on NPR, so even very respectable news sources can sometimes be very misguided.)

2. Wired is hardly a credible news source. They're the geek equivalent of Cosmo. I learned the hard way how they're basically willing to sell their credibility completely away just to sell a few extra copies of a magazine when they had an "in-depth" article that in part discussed my software. (It was a complete fabrication in which the very few things that were accurate were carefully taken out of context to support his hypothesis. And this was about deployed software.)

3. Nobody knows. Everyone's got sources, and the sources have sources. And Apple likes misinformation. Wired probably doesn't have any better sources than c|net or AppleInsider.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Thinner, more battery life, 3G and GPS. Pick only TWO of the three.

Is it just me, or does anyone else count four?
  • Reply 59 of 113
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Why would a programmer know about the form factor?

If the programmer was doing testing on the final product.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    He forgot to mention teleporting capabilities!!

I guess I will just stop readying anything about the 3G iPhone until Monday.